Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I see all the posts about Rockville being a "small town" have been deleted. That said, it's still not a small town. The things that work in Rockville will not work in a small town. For example,hardly any small town will be able to afford to hire " a full-time pedestrian and bicycle coordinator" (from the link). It (the town) won't have the tax base for that.

And big whoop that it has "34.3 miles of separated bikeways". MY suburban CITY, with roughly 1/3 the population of Rockville, has almost as many, 26 miles.
Trails
Are the trails for recreation or transportation? Many times trails do not connect you to places you need to go whereas it looks like Rockville is connecting residential and commercial for "practical" biking. There is a big difference in my book.

Lots of cities have tons of recreational trails but if you wanted to bike to the library or the grocery store, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:

And big whoop that it has "34.3 miles of separated bikeways". MY suburban CITY, with roughly 1/3 the population of Rockville, has almost as many, 26 miles.
Trails
I'm not used to seeing many bike paths in suburban cities so both sound like a big deal, though as jade said paths for recreation may not be useful for transportation. Doubt the author is familiar with anyplace that does that many bikepaths, I can't think of any place I know that does in the Northeast.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are the trails for recreation or transportation? Many times trails do not connect you to places you need to go whereas it looks like Rockville is connecting residential and commercial for "practical" biking. There is a big difference in my book.

Lots of cities have tons of recreational trails but if you wanted to bike to the library or the grocery store, good luck.
No, they're all "just" recreational, totally impractical! And those people in the pictures in the Rockville article all looked like they were going to work, or grocery shopping, or to the mall, not!

Sheesh! Rockville isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. Here's a map of Louisville's trails. You can decide if they "practical" or not.
Trails
Click on trail map. The trails connect the parks, and go all over town, including to/close to all the schools, except for downtown. A lot of people bike on the streets downtown.

You can click on some of the other links and get a feel for some other trails in Boulder County, which is about 1/3 the size of big, rich Montgomery County, MD.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
No, they're all "just" recreational, totally impractical! And those people in the pictures in the Rockville article all looked like they were going to work, or grocery shopping, or to the mall, not!

Sheesh! Rockville isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. Here's a map of Louisville's trails. You can decide if they "practical" or not.
Trails
Click on trail map. The trails connect the parks, and go all over town, including to/close to all the schools, except for downtown. A lot of people bike on the streets downtown.

You can click on some of the other links and get a feel for some other trails in Boulder County, which is about 1/3 the size of big, rich Montgomery County, MD.
Of course adding bike paths isn't "unique." But if more and more towns, cities, suburbs whatever are creating net new infrastructure. Especially of the practical variety, then bicycling might be a bonafide trend and people are taking it seriously as an option for transportation

Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Of course adding bike paths isn't "unique." But if more and more towns, cities, suburbs whatever are creating net new infrastructure. Especially of the practical variety, then bicycling might be a bonafide trend and people are taking it seriously as an option for transportation
That was not the point you were making though with your questioning the utility of Louisville's trails.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
That was not the point you were making though with your questioning the utility of Louisville's trails.
Utility is a key component. It sounded like Rockville was working on utility ;adding cross town routes). You are the expert in Louisville. In case it was implied, for the purposes of this thread, utility is key or I would have put it in cycling.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Utility is a key component. It sounded like Rockville was working on utility ;adding cross town routes). You are the expert in Louisville. In case it was implied, for the purposes of this thread, utility is key or I would have put it in cycling.
It is good to see more and more towns and cities creating bike lanes and trails for commuter uses rather than just for recreational purposes. That is the important factor that we need more of in the US.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Two of the three local bike paths still have snow on them (the third is plowed by my town). Hopefully in a week it will melt, this is latest I can remember the snow lingering.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Nice video by Atlanta Bike Coalition on Biking ATL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=O-EwU_ctI4Q

Looks like they want to make ATL bike friendly. And the mayor is on board.
http://www.atlantabike.org/node/2249
http://www.wnyc.org/story/287399-can...-cycling-city/

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Cycling in the US vs Europe

Interesting article from a year or 2 ago about how cycling role models for the US might be more Seville, Spain than Copenhagen.

North America vs. Europe: Who Has the Best Plan for City Bikers? - Momentum Mag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning