Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

I ask because in almost every city I visit, it seems like women outnumber men by 2-1 in many "gentrifying" urban areas as far as being out in public alone (jogging, biking etc) or even in groups doing yoga in the park for example.

It could be a questionable area too and it's like they have no fear compared to their male companions.

Maybe the guys are just in their condos having a beer and just don't care to get out and exercise as much?

Or maybe it's just me noticing the attractive women and not seeing as many men?

It just seems like women are more likely to move into a city neighborhood and be outside in areas that many in the suburbs would consider dangerous more so than men and running with headphones seemingly oblivious to their surroundings for the most part.

Am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
I could have sworn the exact opposite. Seattle and SF, for instance, are well-known to be quite swarming with men (dating scene in Seattle is terrible from what I've heard because of that). Strangely enough, the gender ratio is nearly equal, but I suppose that doesn't reflect demographics living in the more urban districts.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Not from what one sees on this forum. Also, Denver is known as "Menver" due to the imbalance of males to females. I always thought that's because it's such a "techie" town.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
IMHO, men tend to be more likely to be "first-wave gentrifiers" for at least two reasons.

1. Gay men tend to play a big role in gentrifying some neighborhoods. For whatever reason, lesbians don't seem to have the same urban focus that gay men do, and are less likely to congregate in distinct urban neighborhoods.

2. When it comes to homeowner-driven gentrification, first-wave gentrifiers often need to be willing to buy a house in disrepair and use "sweat equity" to restore it to habitable. Although more women are becoming comfortable with DIY projects, in my experience there's still relatively few willing to buy and restore a house all by themselves.

Things might invert a bit when you get out of the "gay man/artist/weirdo" phase of gentrification and into the final "yuppie" stage. Most cities have significantly higher populations of women than men these days, except for sun-belt cities which attract a high proportion of Latino immigrants. Still, my understanding is most of the studies which look at urban gender ratios do not account for age, and thus the higher proportion of women in many cities may just be due to an elderly female population.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
In addition to eschaton's reasons, there's the safety issue: Single men are much less concerned about it than single women.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Pioneer = "Where no upper middle class white person gone before" ?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
In addition to eschaton's reasons, there's the safety issue: Single men are much less concerned about it than single women.
It's unclear whether it's more because single women are in more danger than single men. Or because single men tend not to be risk-averse (stuff happens to others).

Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Pioneer = "Where no upper middle class white person gone before" ?
Naah. Plenty of gentrifying neighborhoods were upper-middle class white neighborhoods 100 years ago. It's more a return to form than anything in many cases.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I could have sworn the exact opposite. Seattle and SF, for instance, are well-known to be quite swarming with men (dating scene in Seattle is terrible from what I've heard because of that). Strangely enough, the gender ratio is nearly equal, but I suppose that doesn't reflect demographics living in the more urban districts.
I would have assumed the opposite as well. The Upper West and East Sides of Manhattan have a female skew, but they're well past the "pioneer" stage [doesn't make sense at all call the Upper East Side a gentrifying neighborhood]. And they skew older, rather than the typical 20 something transplant-attracting neighborhood.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,533 times
You are just seeing more women out running and doing yoga in the park. I run and usually see about 4:1 women to men anywhere I go running. However, most places anyone would just stumble into and see women doing yoga in the park have been gentrified years ago. "Urban pioneer" these days means places like inner city Baltimore or Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning