Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think you missed my point with the calories, which are relevant b/c this is an obesity thread, and we're discussing an article which allegedly "proves" that living, yes, merely living, in a walkable neighborhood results in lower obesity levels. But, oh well.
I think you might be right about the calories. I was arguing about the "you can live in a super-walkable area and avoid walking completely".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do we always have to talk about Boston, San Francisco, and NYC? Oh, and Portland? (Not mentioned) Can't we talk about Boulder once in a while. They're the ones who've been trying to eliminate driving for decades.
Yes, if you're talking about super-walkable. Boulder isn't that dense, it's not the example I would choose for "super walkable". Boulder has more driving than those cities anyway, regardless of what it's doing. Btw, a friend of mine living in NYC estimated he walks 1.5 miles / day on weekdays, maybe almost 4 on weekends. He's not obese but rather overweight.

However, perhaps it's still beneficial to walk regularly even if still overweight. Might it still be better to excercise mildly and be overweight than slim but sedentary? Obviously obesity is unhealthy but just overweight might not be. I actually don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think you might be right about the calories. I was arguing about the "you can live in a super-walkable area and avoid walking completely".

Yes, if you're talking about super-walkable. Boulder isn't that dense, it's not the example I would choose for "super walkable". Boulder has more driving than those cities anyway, regardless of what it's doing. Btw, a friend of mine living in NYC estimated he walks 1.5 miles / day on weekdays, maybe almost 4 on weekends. He's not obese but rather overweight.

However, perhaps it's still beneficial to walk regularly even if still overweight. Might it still be better to excercise mildly and be overweight than slim but sedentary? Obviously obesity is unhealthy but just overweight might not be. I actually don't know.
I don't really know either. My friend and I walk almost every morning (did all 5 days this week) and neither of us is what you'd call "skinny". I think it's good for us. I work with kids, and contrary to what you read all the time in the media, we don't see a lot of overweight kids. Parents, yes.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't really know either. My friend and I walk almost every morning (did all 5 days this week) and neither of us is what you'd call "skinny". I think it's good for us. I work with kids, and contrary to what you read all the time in the media, we don't see a lot of overweight kids. Parents, yes.
There are so many non-weight loss benefits. In fact, I think we just get too caught up in the weight part. A person who is larger who incorporates daily walks is better off than someone who is slimmer who doesn't. The walks help with stress, circulation and more!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
I love walkable-ness, but I think it has limited impacts on your health. Walking 4 miles a day barely burns a McDonalds small burger, so walking in an of itself is not enough to change your weight, without being coupled with a lot of other healthy life choices.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
& Apparently you think Philadelphia equals United States Of America, because we all (300+million of us) live there!!!!!!!

Wonder where I said that?

Quote:
ONLY the RICH areas of a town have Whole Foods in them because Whole Foods KNOWS poor people cannot afford them! DOH! You need to get out more.
Look, honey, you're the one that said there were no healthy food options in the suburbs. Here is a little reminder for you:
Quote:
How many suburbs have healthy stores like Whole Foods? ALL food stores should be healthy! Are we stupid? Please name all the suburbs that have Whole Foods in them! All you find in these suburbs is gross fast food places, no quality restaurants, and ZERO quality food stores!
I was simply using personal knowledge to negate your lame argument. So who is it who needs to get out more?

Quote:
Ever lived in non walkable Florida? By the time I get back from the farmers market I am half tank empty and this is NOT something people can afford to do here on daily basis!
Maybe you should move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
BTW did you know that there is MSG in your precious "healthy" greek yogurt? Chobani that is?
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an explanation of how this fascinating tidbit relates to urban planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I thought it was the opposite - may be wrong though]
You're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I don't think modern suburbs are ideal for a healthy lifestyle, but neither are very dense skyscraper cities.
The world isn't just black and white, you know. There are plenty of city neighborhoods that are not as dense as the core, yet not as sparse as some suburbs, and which have plenty of opportunity and reason to walk.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I love walkable-ness, but I think it has limited impacts on your health. Walking 4 miles a day barely burns a McDonalds small burger, so walking in an of itself is not enough to change your weight, without being coupled with a lot of other healthy life choices.
Focus on the positive, walking has so many positive benefits the calories don't matter.
As Jade said, its about stress reduction, its about social interaction, its about fresh air, its about sunshine and vitamin E.

All these benefits create other healthy benefits.
When I'm outside and getting fresh air and exercise, I tend to eat much healthier.
When I spend all day inside or in a car, I'm more likely to go for junk food.

A friend put this in perspective when she asked me, "Have you EVER walked to a McDonalds?"

Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
A friend put this in perspective when she asked me, "Have you EVER walked to a McDonalds?"
Once or twice. I'd assume Manhattan McDonald's customers are almost entirely by not driving; there's one in Upper Manhattan that has a 24 hour walk up window. So, yes fast food doesn't conflict with people walking to get around.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Once or twice. I'd assume Manhattan McDonald's customers are almost entirely by not driving; there's one in Upper Manhattan that has a 24 hour walk up window. So, yes fast food doesn't conflict with people walking to get around.

My guess is that I have NEVER walked to a McDonalds. Driven, yes.

If I'm walking, I have much better options than McDonalds.

If I am in Manhattan, I'm a tourist and I certainly am not eating at McD!

Most McDs in Colorado are not in areas I would want to be walking.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly, folks that live in nice weather have no freakin' idea how impossible it is to go for a pleasant little stroll in endless weeks of sub-freezing temperatures. In places like Chicago the city planners have done very little to link together buildings -- you are going to have to bundle up like an arctic explorer to walk anywhere. If you walk too fast you'll get sweaty and hypothermic from sweat soaked clothes. The extremely short days we experience on the eastern edge of our central time zone mean you are coming home in pitch darkness. Not conducive to a cheery attitude.
Seems like an excuse. When I lived in Kansas City I admit that I did not want to go outside and take the dog for a walk or walk down to the grocery store some times but that was only when the temps dropped into the low teens. For most of the KC winter days, temps are in the upper 20's which did not prevent me from going outside at all. As for getting sweaty well, these days they make something called Underarmour which does a remarkable job of keeping you warm and dry. Maybe you should think about buying some.

As far as cities being walkable, there are so many benefits other then good health to it's citizens. Saves gas, air pollution, congestion etc...Phoenix is horribly unwalkable and it sucks.

Last edited by HTY483; 08-15-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Focus on the positive, walking has so many positive benefits the calories don't matter.
As Jade said, its about stress reduction, its about social interaction, its about fresh air, its about sunshine and vitamin E.

All these benefits create other healthy benefits.
When I'm outside and getting fresh air and exercise, I tend to eat much healthier.
When I spend all day inside or in a car, I'm more likely to go for junk food.

My husband walks to Wendy's several days a week for lunch. He used to walk to a McDonald's from his other office. This Wendy's is a standard Wendy's with a big parking lot and drive-through in Boulder. The walk is not particularly "entertaining". (It's not the Pearl St. Mall with their musicians, fire jugglers, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning