Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 PM

200 posts, read 278,704 times

Advertisements

City planning is my dream job. Ive always been intetested in demographics and the in's and outs of a city and the way it works. I daydream about how i would change things around if I had a magic wand. This goes for every city I visit. Plan on going back to school for something in urban development. I dont know where to start though so this thread is helping a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,182 times
Pros

You can enjoy the life of a city planner.
You can do urban renewal particularly in neglected urban areas
You can make a difference in distressed urban areas.

Cons
Salary isn't great when you consider the fact you have to have a master's
You have to live in the same city you work in
You have to be creative and innovative to sustain in the business

Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Pro:

Interesting work that you obviously love to do.

Not too likely to get into an industrial accident or get cancer from this line of work.

Job features chances to be creative/innovative. I saw you had this as a con. If being creative/innovative is a con for you, you might think twice about a career like this. Or, change your approach and decide it belongs on the pro list. There's a lot to be said for a job that will stimulate your creativity in sometimes the oddest ways.

Con:

You'll have to work with politicians all the time, and a shift in local politics may mean the end of your job.

Everything you design will be held up for public criticism. And that's assuming you don't make any mistakes. If you DO make a mistake, expect it to get harsh. You have to have a thick skin in this line of work.

You best designs and favorite projects will eventually be considered dated and will be torn down.

You have to be very careful to maintain a clean image and careful about accepting gifts, even innocent ones that are from your friends.

In some cities you may occasionally have to deal with organized crime, if they want to influence a project. And you will certainly have to deal with bureaucracy, which is worse!

This job is not always considered essential, so budget cutbacks may mean you'll be one of the first to go.

Pay isn't the best.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-21-2019 at 05:26 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
You'd better be patient, because it may take years for your idea to become reality.
And rather than being a perfectionist, you'll be happier with the perspective that
"half a loaf is better than none," since your idea may not be realized in full.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
I am researching city planing as a job for a school project. How do you get the job do you need a MURP?

Old 12-08-2019, 11:09 AM

41 posts, read 44,567 times
Urban Planning is such an umbrella and depending on where you received your degree from many concentrations fall under it. My bachelors is in English Literature, but I have a Masters in Urban Planning and Public Policy (MUPP). Within my program we could contrate in Community Development, Environmental Planning, Economic Development, Transportation Planning, Land Use Planning, Urban Design, and Historic Preservation. Everyone who completed the program just got a diploma that said Urban Planning and Policy no matter the concentration.

This is a career change for me, and I just landed my first planning job. It is regional not city level. I really want to work for a city. Urban renewal and neighborhood revitaliztion are the areas I want to work in.

Where I am from (Chicago) city planners must live in the city.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Strengths/Advantages

Educational Background Is Relevant

Using The Mind Correctly

Reliable Monthly To Annual Salaries That Is Outside Of The Vulnerable Not Secure

Empowering To The Thoughtful

Paying Meticulous Attention To Specific Details

Flaws/Weaknesses

Lots Of Other Factors Might Get In The Way For What You Want

Tons Of Various Governing System Bureaucracy Systems Intermingling

Rarely Might Be Able To Fulfill Absolutely Every Objective For The Actual Actions

Maybe Excessive Talk To Some People. Can't Always Pick And Choose Who To Communicate With If You Want To Maintain Highly Selective Filtering

Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Is the fieldas competitive as Biology and ruthless/hard to get a job in?

I work at a UP office in Boston but am planning oon getting my Masters in UP somewhere...

I love UP and want to go into it... is it worth being a UP?

Sorry for typos.. eating chips in bed

Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma606x View Post
Urban Planning is such an umbrella and depending on where you received your degree from many concentrations fall under it. My bachelors is in English Literature, but I have a Masters in Urban Planning and Public Policy (MUPP). Within my program we could contrate in Community Development, Environmental Planning, Economic Development, Transportation Planning, Land Use Planning, Urban Design, and Historic Preservation. Everyone who completed the program just got a diploma that said Urban Planning and Policy no matter the concentration.

This is a career change for me, and I just landed my first planning job. It is regional not city level. I really want to work for a city. Urban renewal and neighborhood revitaliztion are the areas I want to work in.

Where I am from (Chicago) city planners must live in the city.
What do you think is the most employable track?

Old 01-09-2020, 02:46 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
What do you think is the most employable track?
Honestly out of everything that's highlighted in general I would recommend any discipline with preservation being lowest ranked in terms of employable. Reason I say that is that it typically involves less staff that deals with those issues. If you are passionate about that field I'm sure you will find employment, however more of the jobs seem to be geared toward the others mentioned. For example, in the last three years at my jurisdiction (capitol of a state) we've hired around 10 people for current and long range planning and we hired 1 preservation planner to handle the preservation workload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning