Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 03:37 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Well the latter get used for "local" movement as well as longer distance inter- or intra-state uses that isn't going to get served by public transit anyway. Moreover the latter are critical to getting bulk goods and services to an area while the former might form the "last mile" part of transportation. I don't see how public transit replaces or provides an alternative to any of it and the people utilizing public transit will still need goods and services delivered directly or indirectly (e.g., to local merchants) by non-public-transit means.
I'm not comparing PT to private transport, nor am I comparing local roadways (eg, streets and roads) to regional controlled-access thoroughfares (highways, freeways, interstates). I've only been arguing about the highway-freeway-interstate complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Cars for whom? Plenty of commerce is dependent upon vehicles that utilize the roadways for something other than "commuting". So you are going to have the roads. You have a problem because you want to discriminate against "commuter cars" but can't do so without discriminating against a wide class of vehicles and uses.
And where did I say we shouldn't have roads? That is absurd. You seem to be speculating incorrectly with what I want because I support multiple forms of transportation that also includes cars.

If you can tell me where I ever said there should be no roads, then I will give you credit with this post, until then, you are just speaking completely inaccurately and basically fabricating a lie.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some people will use on-street parking. It's usually less convenient and will get scarce if everyone relied on it, but it is there.

As for having to move, many other things (including having children) can require some people to change apartments, happens.

Yes, I knew what the situation ws as soon as you mentioned. Still, in general it's an atypically slow bus ride.
Actually, the city streets do not exist to provide a parking space for resident's cars. And there are some places where that's not practical.

Take a look at this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+...e330d88e04784c

Find Alfalfa's Market, then look at the brown spot just to the north of it. Some condos are going up there, in fact, some of them are almost done. They are providing parking, in an underground garage, I believe, but not enough IMO. But there really is no "on-street" parking available. Centennial Drive is basically a business road, and the parking lot of the shopping center where these condos are being built is for the customers of the stores in the center. South Boulder Rd. is a four lane city street, the main drag through that area. You would not want to park your car south of S. Boulder.

Regarding the baby issue, that's a case of taking off with the example. There could be many reasons why living car-free would no longer be an option.

I don't think my daughter's ride was atypically slow. Some of that time did involve waiting. The bus picked them up in front of the school (on Main St, slightly south of South Boulder Rd), and it wasn't a long wait at all, but it all adds up. Then the bus wends through the downtown area. It's a "local" route, there are frequent stops. Then she had about a 1/4 mile walk from the bus stop to home.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM

391 posts, read 285,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If you live within the Denver Regional Transit District, my personal sales taxes subsidize your transit trips. That's what seems to be missing from some (not all) of the urbanists' calculations. And yes, if you live in my town, my property taxes do support your Uber, by providing and keeping up the roads. Ditto your pizza delivery! Your property taxes may subsidize the food I buy at Safeway since I have to drive on a public road to get there! Your Amazon order is probably delivered by UPS, using a roadway. They aren't doing the drones yet.
I've already said this in other posts. I don't think transit should be subsidized. Transit users should also pay the full cost of it. The current system is flawed. People who don't use it shouldn't subsidize it. If you use uber, than the costs of the infrastructure should be built into the uber fee. Ditto a pizza delivery or amazon delivery. This is the free market solution. The amount you pay for the infrastructure should be proportional to how much you need it. If you drive more than someone else, than you should pay more for the infrastructure because you use it more. The same goes for public transit. All I'm advocating is that infrastructure should be paid for solely by its users.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Actually, the city streets do not exist to provide a parking space for resident's cars. And there are some places where that's not practical.
In some city neighborhoods that is part of the purpose for city streets. For example, some cities have residential parking permits to park on the street.

Ok, that's an example of where on-street parking would not be alternate option. But many other apartment buildings aren't on streets like that.

Edit: there's some of Centennial St as sstsunami55 pointed out. Space doesn't appear to be a premium there, I'm surprised the developer used garage parking. To save parking for the businesses?

Quote:
Regarding the baby issue, that's a case of taking off with the example. There could be many reasons why living car-free would no longer be an option.
Yes, you gave others as well.

Quote:
I don't think my daughter's ride was atypically slow. Some of that time did involve waiting. The bus picked them up in front of the school (on Main St, slightly south of South Boulder Rd), and it wasn't a long wait at all, but it all adds up. Then the bus wends through the downtown area. It's a "local" route, there are frequent stops. Then she had about a 1/4 mile walk from the bus stop to home.
1.6 miles over 45 minutes is slower than typical walking speed. Yes, I know transit can be slow; but it's extreme for transit to average as slow or slower than walking. Google transit randomly over most places with decent transit coverage does not lead to that slow of a speed.

Last edited by nei; 05-03-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:45 PM

391 posts, read 285,387 times
Quote:
The problem with this argument (using the word as a debate term, not to say you're being argumentative) is you can make a development for people w/o cars, but what happens when someone who lives there buys a car? One's job, lifestyle etc can change. Does that mean you have to move if you get a job that's not on a transit line, or if you break your leg and all of a sudden can't bike to work, or one of a million other things that can happen? Having a baby is probably the biggest lifestyle changer. Many who lived w/o a car suddenly find they really need one.

I believe I gave a brief description of this situation. I'll elaborate. 1.6 miles doesn't sound like much, but there is a 1 mile hill to go up to get home. My daughter played cello in the orchestra, and in middle school was very tiny. She was only 4'11" and about 90# when she started HS. I can't remember 6th grade, but suffice it to say she was much smaller. The cello was about as big as her! So biking, for get it!

Well, yes. I'm just trying to get some people to see that transit is subsidized as well. Some on here don't seem to think of that.

I'm not sure there's a huge difference in the type of roadbed. The interstates are a fed/local proposition. The states own and maintain the interstates. In large cities, interstates are used like regular roads, for transportation and commerce (deliveries, etc). Interstate 80 is called "the nation's highway". It's full of trucks transporting stuff, including perhaps your Amazon order. I'm not sure I get the differentiation of freeways from interstates. There are some limited access roads that are designated state highways rather than interstates, or federal highways that are not part of the interstate system, e.g. US 36 in Colorado, which is limited access in some places. The state of CO pays for the upkeep in Colorado.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm#question5
You don't seem to understand the growth of suburbs is a mere blip in the history of cities. You talk about it like it's a pattern of life that once you have kids, you buy a car and move to a single family home. Each family has their own preferences. You can't speak for everyone, only yourself. You really think that you can't live in the city with children? People all over the world raise families in cities, even in developed areas like Europe. If urban planners took families into consideration, then it might be easier here.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstsunami55 View Post
You don't seem to understand the growth of suburbs is a mere blip in the history of cities. You talk about it like it's a pattern of life that once you have kids, you buy a car and move to a single family home. Each family has their own preferences. You can't speak for everyone, only yourself. You really think that you can't live in the city with children? People all over the world raise families in cities, even in developed areas like Europe. If urban planners took families into consideration, then it might be easier here.
Generally in Europe, the densest city core areas have less families with children.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:

Find Alfalfa's Market, then look at the brown spot just to the north of it. Some condos are going up there, in fact, some of them are almost done. They are providing parking, in an underground garage, I believe, but not enough IMO. But there really is no "on-street" parking available. Centennial Drive is basically a business road, and the parking lot of the shopping center where these condos are being built is for the customers of the stores in the center. South Boulder Rd. is a four lane city street, the main drag through that area. You would not want to park your car south of S. Boulder.

When I click on your link, I can clearly see cars using street parking on Centennial Dr, as well as on the neighboring streets like Fireside....so I don't think that classifies as being "no on street parking available." I see plenty of on street parking available for the overflow this condo complex will be having, though without knowing what the development looks like, I don't know if they have their own internal parking lots too.

Also, that area looks extremely suburban, car dependent, and sprawling....not what I would consider "walkable" at all.

I will definitely say, a bus ride that takes longer than it does to walk is either atypical or poor transit, especially if it takes 45 minutes to complete via transit.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:

Some local studies found that about 1/3 of parking in much of the bay area goes unused overnight. I am sure that some sort of garage sharing arrangement could be made. In my city we have a few parking free buildings. The people that want spaces rent a spot in a nearby garage. One of the buildings had a garage across the street (on a short block).

I think we have over done with whole every building (in a denser downtown area) needs to provide parking. There are plenty of ways to create shared use parking, without providing too much parking.

Quote:
That sounds abnormally slow to me! One of the buses I take most often runs from my home to downtown and beyond. Riding one mile takes about 10-12 minutes. There are about 6 stops between mine and the one I most frequently depart. The next mile, deep into downtown, takes about 15 minutes. In downtown there is pretty much a stop each block. It is a local bus that goes through residential areas, though after downtown it is not uncommon for some of those stops not to have pickups. I think SF Muni buses takes the record for slowest transit ever, and even then the average speed is about 4-4.5MPH!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:

You guys are all just making excuses for this transit. It's typical. Look at any "local" line's schedule. And yeah, you have to wait for the bus to show up, and then walk that last distance home. Excuses, excuses, excuses!
I'm not making excuses, it exists. I don't think it's a typical example at all, and I am familiar with buses. Are you suggesting a typical transit journey is slower than walking? And I think most of us "you guys" are regular transit users, so we do something about what we're talking about.

As for looking at any local line's schedule, I suggested checking google transit which include walk to transit time.

Quote:
Those cars you see on Centennial are driving on it! Trust me, there is NO parking there. It's remotely possible since that is a construction site that some construction workers were parked there temporarily, but NO ONE parks there! This is the town where I live and you think you know more about it than me! The parking lot is for the shopping center and Alfalfa's. I went to some of the meetings about this development. The condo residents will not be permitted to park in the lot. Did you notice the ditch between the (now under construction) condo building and Fireside St.?
There are cars parked on Centennial:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9894...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by nei; 05-03-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning