Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM

816 posts, read 1,395,612 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I hope this falls under "urban planning" and you could provide me with the info that I need. In my city, there are huge swaths of depressed/blighted areas. There are CDC's in place to help fight blight and I know the city tries the best they can to help, but the problems are just so widespread and there is so much blight that never gets taken care of.

I've always wanted to help take part in community improvements/beautification/cleanup, but it takes alot of time and more importantly, it requires funding.... stuff that I would be interested in doing would be cutting down overgrown plants/trees on vacant properties/land, picking up litter, cleaning up illegal dump sites, cleaning up graffiti, basically anything that helps clean up and improve the overall area.

Are there ways to monetize something like this? Because lets be honest, it would be a huge undertaking and would require TONS of time and effort to keep it going. Would this sort of stuff fall under "property preservation"? Would I have to start a non-profit and look into obtaining grants from the city and/or state? Hopefully some of you guys have knowledge regarding this sort of thing and can point me in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Hi all, I hope this falls under "urban planning" and you could provide me with the info that I need. In my city, there are huge swaths of depressed/blighted areas. There are CDC's in place to help fight blight and I know the city tries the best they can to help, but the problems are just so widespread and there is so much blight that never gets taken care of.

I've always wanted to help take part in community improvements/beautification/cleanup, but it takes alot of time and more importantly, it requires funding.... stuff that I would be interested in doing would be cutting down overgrown plants/trees on vacant properties/land, picking up litter, cleaning up illegal dump sites, cleaning up graffiti, basically anything that helps clean up and improve the overall area.

Are there ways to monetize something like this? Because lets be honest, it would be a huge undertaking and would require TONS of time and effort to keep it going. Would this sort of stuff fall under "property preservation"? Would I have to start a non-profit and look into obtaining grants from the city and/or state? Hopefully some of you guys have knowledge regarding this sort of thing and can point me in the right direction!
In Youngstown, a lot of this is done--with lots of supplemental help from neighborhood volunteers--through Green Youngstown (City of Youngstown, Ohio - City Hall - Departments - Green Youngstown) or through the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation. (Get Involved | Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation - Building and Encouraging Investment In Neighborhoods of Choice for All)

I'm sure there are equivalent organizations in Cleveland that you could get in contact with. Talk with your local neighborhood organization/block watch. Or, if they don't know, contact your councilperson.

--edit--

I just reread your post, and I would assume a lot of this happens through the CDCs. Do they have work days, where volunteers are welcome to join?

Old 04-27-2017, 04:28 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I'd guess that the ultimate disposition of these blighted areas, as they are in every city, is a matter fraught with local politics. So if I wanted to do something about it beyond being a volunteer to pick up trash or the like, I'd go and start getting involved in the messy business of local (and maybe state) politics, doing everything from showing up and speaking out at all those boring city planning/CDC/EPA meetings, to letter writing, and perhaps deciding to even run for local office. Along the way you will meet up with like-minded people to form alliances with, and groups are always stronger in the public arena than individuals. So play the long game.

Another reason I say this because while you (or a neighborhood group) can clean up an empty lot or even raze an abandoned building, it's almost impossible IMO, to actually KEEP it clean and nice if there is no specific use for it. It's a lot easier to attract support for maintaining a vest-pocket park, a community garden, an urban farm, or whatever, than an empty lot--which will just attract more trouble. And to get a permanent land use, yes, you have to get comfortable and knowledgeable into local politics. I don't think there's any way around that.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Volunteers from the county jail. There are places where there are work gangs that are happy to be out in the fresh air even if they have to wear leg irons.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Volunteers from the county jail. There are places where there are work gangs that are happy to be out in the fresh air even if they have to wear leg irons.
Welp, that obviously isn't the case in Cleveland....

Old 04-29-2017, 03:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
In some jurisdictions it is possible, if you have enough plitical clout, to become part of a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) district. Improvement is paid for from increases in property taxes due to increased values.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Yes: New York Main Street Program

Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
In some jurisdictions it is possible, if you have enough plitical clout, to become part of a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) district. Improvement is paid for from increases in property taxes due to increased values.
Not in reality though. What happens is the service costs increase with no increase in local revenue to provide those services. The "mortgaged" property tax revenue then has to be back filled from general funds. It works for a time, but eventually you get where California got and you're backfilling so many RDAs for so much money it's unsustainable and has to be shutdown.

California is now moving towards using TIF as less idiotic places do, like Denver, where it's used for infrastructure projects that actually provide a real public benefit rather than just giving pizza parlors and bars tens of millions of dollars.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM

178 posts, read 173,713 times
There are many types of Improvement Districts in most states.
Once formed you can usually float a municipal bond of some sort to raise funds.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post

That can be risky; if you don't have as much political clout as you thought you did, you could get into a TIF you can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning