Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 PM

247 posts, read 180,855 times

Advertisements

Lets just chop down every bit of nature and pave over everything !!!

Pavement for a front yard, how stupid. But maybe some day a 737 might have to do a U turn ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:02 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
When the idea is to put as much house as you can on the smallest lot you can, things like that happen. It all has to do with the cost of land and the price point the developer is working towards.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
What's the whine? The smaller the lot size the greater the percentage consumed by a driveway. Big deal. Density advocates would want zero lot line or even tall tower condos with people pressed in. What does that have to do with a cul-de-sac and why so offended by a cul-de-sac? Cul-de-sacs tend to be more desirable than housing located on a main thoroughfare.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
That's not how cul de sacs look in my neck of the woods. They have trees, and larger yards, and the kids play in the street after dinner and there is virtually no traffic. Little ones learn to ride bikes without fear of being hit by a car. On pleasant evenings, the adults pull out chairs and gather and socialize together while the kids play.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not how cul de sacs look in my neck of the woods. They have trees, and larger yards, and the kids play in the street after dinner and there is virtually no traffic. Little ones learn to ride bikes without fear of being hit by a car. On holidays like Halloween or July 4th, the adults all pull out chairs and gather and socialize together.
Yep!

The only downside is that come snowfall, at least where I live, Cul De Sacs are the last road to be plowed.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:09 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
Lets just chop down every bit of nature and pave over everything !!!

That's not a cul-de-sac issue, it's a matter of very small lots.

And your complaint makes no sense. You'd apparently be happier if each of these lots was, say, 1/3rd of an acre bigger? Which would mean that X many more acres of woodland or meadow would have been cleared and plowed under and planted with some commercial law grass and a single ornamental tree planted every 30 feet? Then the suburban tract pictured above would be even bigger. Large lots are not 'nature'. They are very low in species diversity, and half or more of the species present are non-native.

Why is that your ideal?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
I tend to hate them, although not because of pavement. I have never encountered or seen a sac neighborhood where it is what I would consider to be easy to walk to anything other than your neighbors houses, in part because of how winding the streets are so if you want to walk out of the neighborhood you can’t take a direct route. Maybe there are sacs where you can walk to a lot and I just haven’t seen them.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
I would argue that cul-de-sacs bring neighbors together. The cul-de-sac I live on, we have two block parties every year, spring and fall. The whole street turns out. Other streets in our neighborhood have told us that they are jealous of our parties and how all of the neighbors get along. They all live on normal thru streets.

Of course this topic of cul-de-sacs is not a new one. It has been going on for nearly 100 years, since the first cul-de-sac started in NJ.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
When looking for desirable neighborhoods, my husband and I tend to look for those that have a single entrance, meaning that the drive-through traffic is minimized and, from our observations over the decades, a sense of community is more likely to develop. Cul de sacs are simply that writ small. And, as ClaraC said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not how cul de sacs look in my neck of the woods. They have trees, and larger yards, and the kids play in the street after dinner and there is virtually no traffic. Little ones learn to ride bikes without fear of being hit by a car. On pleasant evenings, the adults pull out chairs and gather and socialize together while the kids play.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
We lived on a cul -de-sac for 10 years and had a decent size lot (just under 1/2 acre). I loved living there having small kids as every house in the "sac" (as we called it) had 1-4 kids and they would all ride their bikes out there and play baseball, etc. And just as ClaraC said, all the adults would hang outside there too and socialize.

IMHO I think it's a great concept for families!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning