Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 6,145 times

Advertisements

A new book out by Alexander Garvin out: Downtown revitalization- 3 categories
1. downtown that have always thrived and never been decline: Buckhead Atlanta, San Jose, Indianapolis and Portland
2. downtowns that have been in decline but now surging: Lower Manhattan, Seattle, L.A., Denver, Chicago and Cincinnati 3. downtowns remain in decline: Detroit, Cleveland, Bridgeport and St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,185,198 times
Can't speak for Bridgeport, but I know for a fact that Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis have had billions of dollars of investment in the past decade. I don't know why they would be considered declining still. Maybe not as healthy as they should be, but all of those places seem to be on the right trajectory. It's just hard for slow growth or declining regions to flip their neighborhoods fast without the large influx of population in the region.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,409 times
Indianapolis' downtown was a no man's land back in the 70's and early 80's from what I've read. I guess it was never really was that poppin until the 90's, but I know it stagnated for awhile.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldano View Post
1. downtown that have always thrived and never been decline: Buckhead Atlanta, San Jose, Indianapolis and Portland
2. downtowns that have been in decline but now surging: Lower Manhattan, Seattle, L.A., Denver, Chicago and Cincinnati 3. downtowns remain in decline: Detroit, Cleveland, Bridgeport and St. Louis
your #3 is extremely uninformed. Cleveland's downtown currently has its highest population ever. Detroit's downtown is looking good.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Pittsburgh's downtown is a pretty good argument. It never went through massive demolition period and its employment numbers are about the same as they have been during the city's population peak despite the neighborhoods near it having some pretty massive urban renewal enacted upon it and the population of the city plummeting.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:35 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,527,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldano View Post
Bridgeport is like a small town compared to the others. Hartford would be a better example. It's Connecticut's only true "big city" and it's gone through decades of stagnation/slow growth.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
your #3 is extremely uninformed. Cleveland's downtown currently has its highest population ever. Detroit's downtown is looking good.
It's from the author: Alexander Garvin; may look good but mostly one person of Quickens artificially inflating downtown and its market place. Cleveland has some growth but not enough to offset a decline overall. It may reach resurgence stage. However, I personally don't know. I didn't come up with this list. The urban expert and planner did-Alexander. Check his book out for more info.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Can't speak for Bridgeport, but I know for a fact that Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis have had billions of dollars of investment in the past decade. I don't know why they would be considered declining still. Maybe not as healthy as they should be, but all of those places seem to be on the right trajectory. It's just hard for slow growth or declining regions to flip their neighborhoods fast without the large influx of population in the region.
Recommend reading the book: Heart of the city-revitalizations of downtowns by Alexander Garvin for more specific info as to why these downtowns are considered decline

Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,633,942 times
Buckhead Atlanta is not a downtown.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Buckhead Atlanta is not a downtown.
In Atlanta and Houston case: they both have 3 downtowns. When he said Downtown Houston never was in decline, he most likely meant Galleria and or Medical Center. In Atlanta, Buckhead was not in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning