Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I guess Alberta's different; people keep saying how Alberta is the most conservative, Americanized province in Canada.
No, that title would go to Saskatchewan. Canada isn't too different than the USA overall, especially the differences between interior and coastal areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
At least in terms of major cities, large(r) lot suburbia lasted a lot longer in Quebec than it did in most of the rest of the country. (And also to some degree in Atlantic Canada - I will get to that later.)

Here is a fairly recent development in Quebec City which is 600,000 in the city proper and 800,000 in the metro area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8219...thumbfov%3D100

You can even find some of this not too far out from the city centre in the Montreal area, which has over 4 million people.

But even Montreal and Quebec City are now starting to tighten things up. New developments at this density are going the way of the dodo.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Suburbs of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Population appox. 400,000

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7301...7i13312!8i6656

Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
I guess Alberta's different; people keep saying how Alberta is the most conservative, Americanized province in Canada.
I was recently in Calgary and was amazed at the density of single family homes around the city. What is more amazing is where the density ends there is empty land or farms. We visited the Winsport bobsled run in the western suburbs of Calgary and there was high density housing above the run. The houses (2400sq ft) looked about 6 feet apart and the neighborhood was built in the early 2000s. If I was spending $700k C for suburbia, I wouldn't want to share every burp and bottom burp with my neighbors.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...83184796_zpid/

Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
There is no mortgage interest deduction in Canada.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home...rest_deduction

Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
American (Californian) suburb density (Irvine, Los Angeles suburb):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Na...!4d-88.1535352
This links to Naperville.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This links to Naperville.
Yes, but the picture is of Irvine.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure I agree about Edmonton's suburbia.

Most of Edmonton's suburbia built in the past 35 years has this type of density:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52236...2!8i6656?hl=fr

(Older suburbia is a bit more spacious and of course élite prestige suburbia on estate lots is still being built but it's just a teeny tiny fraction of suburbia.)

In Alberta's other main city, Calgary, suburban densities are very similar to Edmonton's:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.88618...2!8i6656?hl=fr

It's also similar to what you see in Ottawa, Canada's capital on the other side of the country:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.27772...2!8i6656?hl=fr
Ah, now I stand corrected. But see my other post comparing Markham Ontario, Naperville (Chicago suburb), and Irvine (Los Angeles suburb) on Google Maps on the same scale. You can see that Markham is clearly denser than Naperville, but that Irvine is also denser than Naperville and that Irvine is at least as dense as Markham.

California also seems to have tract home development that is much denser than the rest of the US.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:45 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
Quote:
Ah, now I stand corrected. But see my other post comparing Markham Ontario, Naperville (Chicago suburb), and Irvine (Los Angeles suburb) on Google Maps on the same scale. You can see that Markham is clearly denser than Naperville, but that Irvine is also denser than Naperville and that Irvine is at least as dense as Markham.

California also seems to have tract home development that is much denser than the rest of the US.
so is this thread about why is Irvine denser than most US suburbs, or why Canadian suburbs are generally denser than US suburbs, even if it's a smaller metro area like Edmonton.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 AM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
Hah, Toronto and surrounding areas is NOT the norm for Canada. The suburban sprawl is basically due to the desirability and historical importance of Toronto. That being an economic engine and immigration hub, with established public transportation (leading to Union Station) and highway grid system.

Imagine in the US, there was only NYC as the place to live. You can sure damn bet that suburban sprawl would be the size of a few states looking like the dense suburbs of Toronto. Meaning land with huge huge lots/farmland, would be bought up by developers and multiple houses built on it. That's what happened here in Toronto and hence the warped view that what happens in Toronto is the norm.

Also, due to Canada's merit based system, with Toronto taking almost half of the countries immigration, many that immigrate here come due to work. A tech worker can basically apply online and get approval in a few months to immigrate as a permanent residence (1 step below citizenship). This leads to people coming to Toronto's core first, renting, than moving out to somewhere more affordable and relatively spacious in the burbs. Could be townhouse, semi as well.

Similar to NYC, We have a regional Train system (GO) that basically is the engine driving this thing. While much smaller, all train lines lead to 1 station. Think of how crowded subway stations get. That's basically many GO Train station, where parking lots to park in them are at or over capacity.

Overall, while the burbs stretch out, it is still not that big here. It is the only main attraction in the whole country for regular people that can realistically live the city life, and the winters/snow probably also play a role in less desire for large properties. Plus, the type of immigrants here do not want to spend alot of time maintaining land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning