Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times

Advertisements

SARS, MERS, Coronavirus. As the global population increases and more people pack into urban centers, I think deadly pandemics are going to be more of a thing. I’d much rather be in my spread out suburban cul de sac with my own ventilation system than being packed into a 30 story apartment building and having to rely on a crowded subway to get to work. I feel sorry for the people in Wuhan, China who have been prisoners in their tiny apartments for over a month. If worse came to worse over here, people living in suburban cul da sac’s could still pull out of their attached garages and drive to a beautiful beach or isolated mountain area for the day to get some fresh air. Living in Manhattan will literally trap you as a prisoner in your own home. Henry Ford and Robert Moses were ahead of their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 04:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
I’d prefer to take my chances rather than live in a “sac.”

Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
It's a valid point. Every day in the Metro I feel like the long-term chances of not catching a widespread virus are minimal. There's people coughing everywhere and if it's even half crowded you can't really escape it as you have no control over who you share your space with.

When they say that half the population will have had Coronavirus before all is said and done, I imagine that the rate will be much higher in the urban centers.

Coronavirus really illustrates a good few of the vulnerabilities of 21st century life such as our dependence on uninterrupted global supply chains due to outsourced manufacturing of pretty much all goods, the way global travel allows diseases, that in the old days took years to spread across the world, to do so in just a couple of weeks.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:35 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Do you work from home, or with very few other people? Do you have your groceries delivered? Do you have kids in school?

Unless you're a hermit, you can't escape encountering thousands of people--either directly or indirectly--every day.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Do you work from home, or with very few other people? Do you have your groceries delivered? Do you have kids in school?

Unless you're a hermit, you can't escape encountering thousands of people--either directly or indirectly--every day.
True, being out in the suburbs or even rural area may have some advantages in avoiding contact with people but doesn't make you immune. In our area, a small exurban city, the local elementary school had 165 kids out yesterday, just because the parents were scared. Now with 37% Asian population there are immigrant people here from China, working at Amazon or Microsoft, though most are from India.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 PM

109 posts, read 207,804 times
mmm, suburbs..

row after row of sterile cookie cutter poorly built houses, selling as expensive as urban townhomes
far away from everything (the bad of rural), yet still under 5 feet from your neighbor's wall (the bad of urban).
complete car dependency, isolation, sedentary lifestyle and bad health

what's not to love.

This 4 part series really lays it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUzuRL0uJnw

Old 03-05-2020, 07:32 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I’d prefer to take my chances rather than live in a “sac.”
I feel the same way.

Also, people that live in cul-de-sacs do come into contact with many people when buying groceries, shopping for things in general, at work, eating in restaurants, going to the post-office, and the kids are still in school and doing sports and other activities.

I don't think living in a 'sac' will save my life.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:13 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,896 times
a lot of times living in the suburbs you have to share a house with roommates because thats all there is is houses.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:38 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
SARS, MERS, Coronavirus. As the global population increases and more people pack into urban centers, I think deadly pandemics are going to be more of a thing.
Ultimately true. Whenever any species overpopulates and the population density gets too high, nature always finds a way to cull the herd. It's a universal law that applies to field mice, birds, lemmings, and humans.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I feel the same way.

Also, people that live in cul-de-sacs do come into contact with many people when buying groceries, shopping for things in general, at work, eating in restaurants, going to the post-office, and the kids are still in school and doing sports and other activities.

I don't think living in a 'sac' will save my life.

Having occasional contact with people in the suburbs is not even close to the number of people you cross paths with when you live in a walkable city. I lived in Manhattan for years. There are people in your face every second of the day. All the errands you mentioned are done by car in the suburbs, not on foot or by train or bus or using packed elevators with thousands of other people. Go stand on a subway platform at rush hour, and then get on a packed, standing room only train. In the city, you have to do this twice a day, every day. Now, I get in my car and drive to work without having contact with another person for 20 minutes.

It is not even close. The suburbs are going to have less chance of transmission vs a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning