Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times

Advertisements

It only appears to be a pyramid scheme now because of demographics.

The baby-boomers, gen x, and millennials are all fighting for the same housing stock. Baby boomers and millennials are the largest generations, gen x is smaller. Add in immigration and below historical average housing starts since 2006 and there is a housing shortage.

However unlike a pyramid scheme this is simply an unhappy accident, a confluence of forces.

When the baby boomers are gone and gen x, millennials, and gen z (which is very small) are fighting for housing it will appear as if there is an abundance of housing.

As to the early entrants benefitting handsomely from subsequent growth, that is always the case. And the remedy for that is mild, steady inflation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 04:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Not a pyramid. It checks none of the boxes. Cetrainly not recruiting, which is the cornerstone of any scheme.
I was sort of equating school rankings and the like to “recruiting”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
When the baby boomers are gone and gen x, millennials, and gen z (which is very small) are fighting for housing it will appear as if there is an abundance of housing.
Is this assuming that the boomers will leave their properties to one of their kids instead of selling them? If property inheritance is the norm, then housing isn’t just going to “open up”, will it?

Old 07-21-2020, 06:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
That narrow definition of a pyramid leaves off a particular key element...

It means you try to recruit new investors to create cash flow, while giving peoples promises, in lieu of supplying an actual tangible investment, a service or product to make money and hold value.

Land, and what is built on it, is a tangible product and scarce resource.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:53 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I was sort of equating school rankings and the like to “recruiting”.
What does this mean?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Land, and what is built on it, is a tangible product and scarce resource.
Is it scarce? Last time I checked, the US has plenty of undeveloped land.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Is it scarce? Last time I checked, the US has plenty of undeveloped land.
But housing isn't. You weren't talking about gangs of hucksters selling Florida swampland in some sort of a scheme were you?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
What does this mean?
It means that people are recruited to certain jurisdictions over others whether by schools, or by restaurants, or by something else.

Quote:
But housing isn't. You weren't talking about gangs of hucksters selling Florida swampland in some sort of a scheme were you?
Exactly.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
It means that people are recruited to certain jurisdictions over others whether by schools or by restaurants, or by something else.

Exactly.
Dude...ya lost me.

We're you trying to argue in your first post that the residential RE market in greater Boston is a pyramid scheme? Or now are you spinning to talk about shysters selling swampland?

And you're grasping at nothing on your 'recruitment' definition. No school district or restaurant ever recruited me. Where has this happened to you? Do you know what 'recruit' means?

Nothing you've put forth hits any pyramid scheme button.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
We're you trying to argue in your first post that the residential RE market in greater Boston is a pyramid scheme? Or now are you spinning to talk about shysters selling swampland?
I’m saying that land isn’t inherently valuable, and that small groups of individuals have been convincing American buyers to put unreasonable amounts of money into plots of land. Said investments benefit the small groups of individuals more than they benefit the buyer unless the buyer can maintain the ruse until someone comes along who’s willing to spend even more for the same [inherently worthless] land.

Quote:
And you're grasping at nothing on your 'recruitment' definition. No school district or restaurant ever recruited me.
Are you sure?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I’m saying that land isn’t inherently valuable, and that small groups of individuals have been convincing American buyers to put unreasonable amounts of money into plots of land. Said investments benefit the small groups of individuals more than they benefit the buyer unless the buyer can maintain the ruse until someone comes along who’s willing to spend even more for the same [inherently worthless] land.
Where is all this worthless land bought and sold? In greater Boston? You're grasping. Rural and undeveloped land stays unsold for long periods of time.

I'd love to see you post any actual numbers about this vibrant speculation and active recruiting market on invaluable land.

Quote:
Are you sure?
Do you know what recruit means?

Sorry, kid, better check your OP again and get back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning