Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 04:08 PM

76 posts, read 99,753 times

Advertisements

It's restaurant which has live band playing. The idea is that people would go to the restaurant eat, then they'll be a stage at the center, then they'll be a live band playing further down the center. Meanwhile, they'll be two aisles of food where there's a buffet. It seems that this type of venue very well lit.

i found a crisp video of a Mexican band playing, the mexicans commentors, however, said it was invented in America I also saw type of venue in a Buddy Holly video. However, I couldn't find a HD video of Buddy Holly playing so I'm sharing the one's with the Hooligans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY0s...ture=emb_title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 07:14 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
They're around, just evolved. A lot of bars that also serve food have live bands. One common venue, at least until last Spring, was wineries having live music and food.

One restaurant we go to in the middle of nowhere in PA used to have live music every Friday and Saturday night. It doesn't now due to new ownership taking over two weeks before the Covid lockdown took effect. They're still getting on their feet.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
The idea is that people would go to the restaurant eat, then they'll be a stage at the center,
they'll be a live band playing further down the center.
Not just bands. Variety acts, comedians... all sorts.
The were called Night Clubs.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:41 PM

@North Beach
Great answer. I'm wondering why did nightclubs started to become dark and all about selling alcohol as opposed to being better illuminated and focus on having a more social time.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:45 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
@North Beach
Great answer. I'm wondering why did nightclubs started to become dark and all about selling alcohol as opposed to being better illuminated and focus on having a more social time.
Why would you think they were well lit? Were you ever in one? The videos you are looking at were in all likelihood lit so you could film inside them.

I don't think I've ever been in a well-lit club.

The people I know in the hospitality biz have a love-hate relationship with music and entertainment versus selling food and booze. The crowds that enjoy both don't always intersect neatly.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:51 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
There are still places like that, in 2019. In fact, its one of my preferred venues to meet women. The combination of food, drinks, outdoor patio, alternate simple food like taco stand outfront, live band+sometimes dancing means there's a "variety" of different activities and micro-scenes. Conversation is more likely to happen with 'strangers' than a straight-up night club with "handstamps and a lineup" to get in.

If you go out "a lot", you'll find these places. Just waiting for life to get back to Normal so I can do it all over again.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 AM

@kem @sup
I remember, I saw a place in NY and another one in TX. Where a live band will perform during the afternoon. Everything is well lit, since it happens before it gets dark. Most of the guests will get their food and sit on the table as the band perform. Its not identical to the video, however, it follows a similar vibe. There's more open spaces and much better illumination. It feels like its a place designed to socialized or get together with some friends.

In contrast, a modern nightclub is the exact opposite. It's dark, loud, crowded and it seems the whole point is to sell as many drinks as possible. The only socializing that could potentially be done is at the tables but even those are filled up.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
@kem @sup
I remember, I saw a place in NY and another one in TX. Where a live band will perform during the afternoon. Everything is well lit, since it happens before it gets dark. Most of the guests will get their food and sit on the table as the band perform. Its not identical to the video, however, it follows a similar vibe. There's more open spaces and much better illumination. It feels like its a place designed to socialized or get together with some friends.

In contrast, a modern nightclub is the exact opposite. It's dark, loud, crowded and it seems the whole point is to sell as many drinks as possible. The only socializing that could potentially be done is at the tables but even those are filled up.
I seem to remember (actually no "seem" about it) that forty years ago every Holiday Inn, or other motel/hotel with an attached restaurant, had a lounge that featured live music on weekends. A lot of stand alone bars also had a stage with musical acts. Some still do.

Hmm, it sounds like I spent a lot of time in bars in my youth.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:20 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
One of my favorite restaurant had live music Friday and Saturday nights. We would go Sunday through Thursday to avoid it; live acts are so loud you can't have a conversation at the table.

I suspect entertainment encourages patrons to linger at the table. If you're serving good food, you have larger, fewer tables and need to get fresh hungry customers in as fast as possible.

If you're just serving drinks and maybe nachos type food, you can fit more people, who keep buying drinks.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
One of my favorite restaurant had live music Friday and Saturday nights. We would go Sunday through Thursday to avoid it; live acts are so loud you can't have a conversation at the table.

I suspect entertainment encourages patrons to linger at the table. If you're serving good food, you have larger, fewer tables and need to get fresh hungry customers in as fast as possible.

If you're just serving drinks and maybe nachos type food, you can fit more people, who keep buying drinks.
That was the whole reason for doing it. Have music, get people drinking, maybe some dancing, drink some more, seek out companionship.

Many of the ones that the original question asked about had a stable of working girls on site to help with the latter. Also, many of them, especially in the larger cities like New York, Newark, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc., were mobbed up to a greater or lesser extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning