Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburbs - the BEST of both worlds (urban and rural) or the WORST
BEST of both worlds 49 36.57%
WORST of both worlds. 85 63.43%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,079 times

Advertisements

I understand the number one reason why Americans move to the suburbs - schools for their kids and more space to raise them. Some people also say that suburbs are the 'best of both worlds' (incorporate the best features of urban living and advantages of rural living).

I tend to think that they have become the worst of both. Suburbs are getting crowded, congested (traffic ), loud, polluted and some even crime ridden like the cities and at the same time have some of the same car dependence, isolation, deadness, lack of public transportation of rural areas.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
For me, it's worse. I'm 18, a High School Graduate, and the town I'm in (rural, not suburb) is incredibly boring.

But if you have kids, a car, and money, the suburbs may be more attractive.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I understand the number one reason why Americans move to the suburbs - schools for their kids and more space to raise them. Some people also say that suburbs are the 'best of both worlds' (incorporate the best features of urban living and advantages of rural living).

I tend to think that they have become the worst of both. Suburbs are getting crowded, congested (traffic ), loud, polluted and some even crime ridden like the cities and at the same time have some of the same car dependence, isolation, deadness, lack of public transportation of rural areas.

What do you think?
I don't know how you can have isolation and crowding at the same time. Wel, I know how, but I don't think that's what you mean. You either have neighbors close by, or you don't. Many suburbs have decent public transportation, to the city and also intra-city and suburb to suburb. I think the suburbs are nice; you can have the city when you want it, but not all the time.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Depends on the suburbs and their locations. Would I want to be in a suburb of Memphis? HECK NO. Would I want to be in a suburb of Chicago? Sure, why not? I already am anyways.

But seriously, some suburbs are just the epitome of boredom... cookie cutter homes, repeat chain stores, too little diversity, etc. Others are virtually unrecognizable from big cities (ie Oak Park, IL) and offer wonderful boutiques, more diversity, etc. I prefer suburban life for several reasons... I love hiking and big cities just dont offer it. I also love owning a car and not having to pay for parking or fighting for parking. I love the peace and quiet that many suburbs here can offer, yet still be relatively close to Chicago and all that it has to offer, and at a cheaper price too. But then again I would also love to live in Chicago if I could live with a less outdoors-y feel and give up the car and take PT. Hmmmmm.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know how you can have isolation and crowding at the same time. Wel, I know how, but I don't think that's what you mean. You either have neighbors close by, or you don't. Many suburbs have decent public transportation, to the city and also intra-city and suburb to suburb. I think the suburbs are nice; you can have the city when you want it, but not all the time.
Good point, I'd have to clarify this, it may definitely sound like a contradicting statement (crowded + isolated).

Crowded and noisy:

Suburbs do get crowded and most of the newer subdivisions are built almost like townhouses with tiny yards (that are called 'patios' since they are just too small to be called 'yards'). Houses in most suburbs are still pretty close together and you often hear lots of noise (barking dogs, neighbors hanging out in the backyard, mowing lawns, kids screaming, crazy surround sound systems, neighbors blasting their stereos in garages etc). I could even hear my neighbors conversation if they speak loud enough, their bedroom windows and ours are only a few feet apart and with windows open, you get the picture

Isolation means two things.

1) Having to get into the car to go anywhere is isolating because it limits you severely when your car breaks down or when you don't feel like driving or can't drive. If you have only 1 car with two spouses even without children, then one spouse takes the car and another one is pretty much stuck at home.

2) You may have neighbors close by to hear their noise every day, but there is no life outside of your house (or walking distance from it). You hear your neighbors but don't see them. You simply don't see people around, they all sit in their houses and only get outside in their cars. At least this was my experience with suburbs in the US. Very rarely I see any people outside in the suburb even on nicely landscaped sidewalks, except kids. This also can feel isolating especially if you work from home/new to the area/don't have kids that would socialize with the neighbors kids.

Not all suburbs are created equal and I understand this, I am talking about the majority and the 'concept' of living in a suburb, it's a car culture and it's isolating. At the same time it doesn't provide the advantages of rural lifestyle (lots of land, piece and quiet, nature at your door, independence of doing to your property what you want, etc). That's why suburban tract subdivisions especially the cookie cutter master planned communities to me are the worst of both worlds. You must live in a different place altogether, like a residential neighborhood in city limits connected by public transport or a college town or a historic small town with tree lined streets and local businesses nearby.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
I don't think suburbs are the greatest thing ever, but they definitely aren't bad either.

I'll probably end up living in the 'burbs when I have kids. Commuting will be a bit of a hassle, but there's always public transportation, and having a yard is important to me.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,826 times
Some suburbs are great - were planed out well, have the right amenities, a great location, and everything. They do have the best of both worlds. Other suburbs were developed in a boom and have no thought to anything whatsoever, and are terrible. The same goes for cities... there are wonderful ones that justify the price and lack of space, and others that are god-awful... it really is a case by case basis. Some of the anti-suburb rhetoric that goes on at these forums generalizes quite a bit.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM

287 posts, read 1,027,927 times
I'm not really into suburbs in general (at least for myself), but I'm with tande1n5. Some are the best of both worlds and some are the worst.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
As much as I've posted negatively about my overall region.....from my house right now in a suburb of DC, I can drive 10 minutes one way to go fishing and hiking in a lake, and drive 5 minutes the other way to eat at some nice restaurants (though all of them are chains). I would like this area overall if it was still like the way it was 15 years ago. Now there is too much congestion, the pace of life is too fast and too much crime and poverty.

I would live in a suburb or a small town. I would never live in a city. I hate paying for parking or depending on public transporation. My own car gives me freedom and saves me time and is easier to plan things. I prefer suburban type development. I dont' even know how to park on the street, I failed that part of the test but they gave me my license anyway They guy told me "you're never gonna need it anyway, just take a bus downtown"!!!!!!!

The suburbs offer peace and quiet and privacy compared to the city. I can't imagine looking out my window and seeing soulless concrete, crowds of people and cluttered streets. i need trees and grass and an open sky. This is why gentrification has its limits, you can reduce crime but you can't give people things like nature, peacefulness, and privacy that the suburbs and rural areas offer. Plus many suburbs offer things like entertainment and diverse restaurants.

The one thing the city is better in is that if you go to a bar you can just stumble home you don't need to worry about drivin.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As much as I've posted negatively about my overall region.....from my house right now in a suburb of DC, I can drive 10 minutes one way to go fishing and hiking in a lake, and drive 5 minutes the other way to eat at some nice restaurants (though all of them are chains). I would like this area overall if it was still like the way it was 15 years ago. Now there is too much congestion, the pace of life is too fast and too much crime and poverty.

I would live in a suburb or a small town. I would never live in a city. I hate paying for parking or depending on public transporation. My own car gives me freedom and saves me time and is easier to plan things. I prefer suburban type development. I dont' even know how to park on the street, I failed that part of the test but they gave me my license anyway They guy told me "you're never gonna need it anyway, just take a bus downtown"!!!!!!!

The suburbs offer peace and quiet and privacy compared to the city. I can't imagine looking out my window and seeing soulless concrete, crowds of people and cluttered streets. i need trees and grass and an open sky. This is why gentrification has its limits, you can reduce crime but you can't give people things like nature, peacefulness, and privacy that the suburbs and rural areas offer. Plus many suburbs offer things like entertainment and diverse restaurants.

The one thing the city is better in is that if you go to a bar you can just stumble home you don't need to worry about drivin.
I agree. I much rather green than concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning