Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:55 AM

4,562 posts, read 2,706,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, let's see:
<list of tornadoes snipped to save space>
https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc

Earthquakes:
Beginning in 2009, Oklahoma experienced a surge in seismicity. This surge was so large that its rate of magnitude 3 and larger earthquakes exceeded California's from 2014 through 2017.
You misunderstood my point.

A tornado is a narrow, short term event. A typical tornado path might be a couple hundred yards wide and a mile or two long. The chance that a SINGLE BUILDING will be hit by a tornado, even in a region where tornadoes are common, is tiny. Not worth worrying about. Tornadoes are spectacular, but in terms of death and destruction, they're truly trivial compared to hurricanes, which are events that affect areas hundreds of miles in width, thousands of miles in length, and last for days. Tornado risk is on the order of lightning strikes or snake bites - dozens of people killed each year. Hurricane or major-earthquake risk (not wee tremors like fracking quakes; real quakes like California or Alaska) is a different type of risk altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 AM

8,881 posts, read 6,898,637 times
I hope you folks aren't buying this.

The only way it could happen (in ANY market condition) would be for an unhinged billionaire to donate most of the cost.

This would be laughed out of any serious financial firm's office.

It's incredibly inefficient by every metric of geometry, construction cost, and so on. It wouldn't be that pleasant to live there (sway, travel time to your floor). Few tenants/buyers would pay the astronomical square-foot prices.

They only have a vague idea what it'll cost, yet they say it's financed?!

This appears to be a wild swing by someone who has no idea what they're doing.

It's basically the Kansas "world's tallest" all over again, though this one might be further along. I'd love to find that thread again...the "PR" guy, Sunny, was a regular on this (or another?) board and basically showed us how clueless they were. One of his ideas was that the bigger it was, the more it would succeed because people would like how big it was, or something like that! He also thought a large percentage of the nation's wealthy people would invest, and that their due diligence (a topic he took a seminar in) wouldn't include an internet search about the project.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:41 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,108,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
With commercial real estate at the present lows which we haven't seen in decades, I can't imagine this project will come to fruition in it's current state.

I'd be surprised if they actually build and fund this, unless it's going to be primarily residential living but I doubt that you could find enough demand for that much residential in such a tall tower. Especially in a place like OKC.
This type of construction is one signal of excess in commercial construction, don’t be too surprised if the financing suddenly falls through and the whole project is abandoned.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:35 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
These days, all you need to do is add a 400-500 FT spire on top of the building, like the WTC in NY, and you count the spire in with the height of the building. It's called cheating. Take away the spire of the WTC building and the old Sears Tower in Chicago is still the tallest in the country. I don't think spires should count with height.

One of these day, perhaps in Des Moines, Iowa, someone builds an 800 FT tower and then put a 1000 Ft spire on top, and Voila! Tallest building in the country!

Old 04-24-2024, 10:26 AM

9,127 posts, read 6,341,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
With commercial real estate at the present lows which we haven't seen in decades, I can't imagine this project will come to fruition in it's current state.

I'd be surprised if they actually build and fund this, unless it's going to be primarily residential living but I doubt that you could find enough demand for that much residential in such a tall tower. Especially in a place like OKC.
They could always commit a portion of the building to being a tourist attraction if it will be the tallest building the US. I wonder how far someone could see from the top of such a building in the Midwest where the land is fairly flat for many, many miles.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:28 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
They could always commit a portion of the building to being a tourist attraction if it will be the tallest building the US. I wonder how far someone could see from the top of such a building in the Midwest where the land is fairly flat for many, many miles.
Maybe, but how many people would come to see just that one tourist attraction?
Oklahoma City isn't known as a tourist city, but I read somewhere someone said that:
"It's half as cool as I think it is, but twice as cool as you think it is"

Old 04-25-2024, 05:31 AM

346 posts, read 457,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

According to this web site, there's a formula for that.

range to horizon = sqrt [(radius of earth + altitude above surface)^2 - radius if earth^2]

which yields (in miles) = sqrt[(3959 + 0.36^2) - 3959^2] = 53 miles

Seems like it should be farther to me, but you won't be able to see to Dallas, from the top floor of this building, using this formula.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:20 AM

24,632 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Please review actual weather and impact maps. Tornadoes follow the terrain. We are smack outside OKC and every time bad weather is on the radar it splits. Not nice when you are waiting for rain tough. This is one reason why we bought here - the 100 year weather report. So do a lot of others and property values for raw land are ridiculous for a town of 12 square miles https://www.mustangchamber.com/history
The Thing as many call it, kind of fits in with the downtown OKC skyline. Ultra Modern, Art Deco, cheap. Take your pick. Some larger rebuilds were finished recently and are in use. There is a lot going on you do not hear about unless you are in the industry. Tennis, Skeet, SASS, ... just to name a few.
In the 8 years we have been here I have seen money move in. Money as in professionals 150-250k and industry. 80-100k pick ups are nothing special. Teslas are getting more but you see them on Sunday vehicle days. Plenty of exotics. The guy in bibs and a 1980s trashy pick up may be someone you want to shake hands with.
One of the best weather stations in the US.
Is everything perfect? Word has gotten around, cannabis shops do home delivery, groceries are high, distances are long, taxes on groceries, breaks on real estate taxes for veterans/senior are not worth the trouble but very good medical care as far as coverage and talent goes.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:32 AM

24,632 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe, but how many people would come to see just that one tourist attraction?
Oklahoma City isn't known as a tourist city, but I read somewhere someone said that:
"It's half as cool as I think it is, but twice as cool as you think it is"
I am by all means not a native. Actually, I was never in OK until we spent 1/2 day to buy a house. But I will gladly show you around. All you have to do is look at car tags and listen to conversations.
Actually - let's keep the stereotypes well and alive. The fewer who know the less who will move here.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:21 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
It's just 3 hrs from Dallas where my son lives. I might come to visit and see it myself.

I would think that the more people move there, the better for the industry and prosperity.
Nichols Hills and Gaillardia are wealthy areas. Other affluent neighborhoods in Oklahoma City include Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Edgemere, and Crown Heights.
However, the cost of living in Oklahoma City is 13% lower than the national average, due to low prices for groceries, utilities, and transportation. So, living there might be appealing to many.
But generally, Oklahoma still remains one of the poorest states in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning