Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Sprawl (Americans would still find this dense)

Hvidrove (Copenhagen) Denmark
Copenhagen, Denmark - Google Maps

Lindenstrasse (Zurich) Switzerland
Lindenstrasse, Dietikon, Schweiz - Google Maps

Dense

Slough (London) United Kingdom
London, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Taverny (Paris) France
Paris, France - Google Maps

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now please share your favorite suburbs across Europe, weather they are Dense or Sprawled i love looking at images and discussing about the Suburbs in Europe because they seem so Vibrant and Alive compared to North America.

My favorite are the towns just outside London and Paris, The ones in Denmark look very pretty, The ones in East Europe are probably the least attractive to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post

Dense

Taverny (Paris) France

Now please share your favorite suburbs across Europe, weather they are Dense or Sprawled i love looking at images and discussing about the Suburbs in Europe because they seem so Vibrant and Alive compared to North America.

My favorite are the towns just outside London and Paris, The ones in Denmark look very pretty, The ones in East Europe are probably the least attractive to me
Hi Bob,

Britain does have a fair bit of urban sprawl, not bad by US standards, but it certainly exists.

Hit up Milton Keynes on Google Maps / Google Earth. It even has an enormous grid system.

Also, on my last visit to Ireland, I recall the suburbs west of the Dublin M50 belt being very sprawly. Hit that up on Google Maps too.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Finland:

Espoo, Finland - Google Maps

Oulu, Finland - Google Maps

Lahti, Finland - Google Maps

Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Ireland:

Dublin, Ireland - Google Maps

Dublin, Ireland - Google Maps

Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Quote:

Dense

Taverny (Paris) France

The first bunch wouldn't really be dense by US standards--pretty standard suburban looking neighborhoods in the US look about the same, but the cars are bigger. The dense examples are all low-rise, and while US streets tend to be wider they also aren't too dissimilar from what you see in the older parts of US cities.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:

The first one reminds me of the inner suburbs of Miami. The second one could easily pass for a standard suburb in the US.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The first bunch wouldn't really be dense by US standards--pretty standard suburban looking neighborhoods in the US look about the same, but the cars are bigger. The dense examples are all low-rise, and while US streets tend to be wider they also aren't too dissimilar from what you see in the older parts of US cities.
I'm used to suburbs here in the Twin Cities. Outside the 494/694 loop it is absolutely horrible

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

690 posts, read 1,202,035 times
Sprawl in the UK is somewhat different to the US roughly square plots. 1900-1970 plots are very long and thin. It isnt rare to have a 200-300ft long rear garden for example, but with little road frontage.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM

690 posts, read 1,202,035 times
Anyway, my favourite uk 'sprawl'

Letchworth Garden City, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Hampstead Garden Suburb, United Kingdom - Google Maps

Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Much of Oslo is a rather pleasant and green sprawl surrounding a small medium dense core. There are several small shopping centers spread out through the city and decent public transport, but for the most part, it fits the definition of sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning