Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times

Advertisements

what's the difference besides one has more population than the other?

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/Rurality/WhatisRural/

Last edited by the city; 12-28-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
what's the difference besides one has more population than the other?

USA has very few urban areas to speak of. Actually, I'm not sure if there are any properly urban areas at all. Urban = high density of population, relatively compact area, theoretically walkable, highly developed network of public transportation, multi family residences greatly outweigh private single family residences. NYC resembles urbanity little bit, not much though. American thoroughly gutted the seeds of urbanity. If you want to see something urban visit Europe. American urban area is a kind of suburbia locked in between interstates, it feels like a huge village without a shred of village charm. Want get depressed little bit, visit New Jersey right across NYC, they say it's highly "urban" area, but it looks and feels like a huge village, it makes me claustrophobic and almost sick. But people like it.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
USA has very few urban areas to speak of. Actually, I'm not sure if there are any properly urban areas at all. Urban = high density of population, relatively compact area, theoretically walkable, highly developed network of public transportation, multi family residences greatly outweigh private single family residences. NYC resembles urbanity little bit, not much though. American thoroughly gutted the seeds of urbanity. If you want to see something urban visit Europe. American urban area is a kind of suburbia locked in between interstates, it feels like a huge village without a shred of village charm. Want get depressed little bit, visit New Jersey right across NYC, they say it's highly "urban" area, but it looks and feels like a huge village, it makes me claustrophobic and almost sick. But people like it.
Yes, the U.S. urban areas are different from the European urban areas...but that doesn't make them less authentic. Everyone doesn't measure urbanity (or anything else for that matter) with Europe as the standard.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Interesting...I always thought towns under 10,000 were probably considered rural. I live in a town of like 58,000 with a population density of 7700 sq/mile. It's a suburb, but probably urban to most people.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
As far as the census is concerned, urbanized areas have a population over 50K; urban clusters are under 50K. I suppose it's just somewhat of an arbitrary cut off point, the 50K figure.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As far as the census is concerned, urbanized areas have a population over 50K; urban clusters are under 50K. I suppose it's just somewhat of an arbitrary cut off point, the 50K figure.
except it measures with several cities, or one city. my un-incorporated community has 9,500 population and were considered an urbanized area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning