Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times

Advertisements

In my experience, all suburbs feel like cities because they are so close to big cities they often have the same type of people living there and get the same feeling. All though, if the city has less than 100,000 population it does feel like a small town still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
our suburb is "city" of about 12,000 people

I think towns and townships are a northeastern jurisdiction

Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Speaking for my homeland, much of NJ is considered suburban, and NJ has more than 500 towns. I think it's a fair bet that some of those towns are suburbs. To be honest I don't really "get" the question.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Speaking for my homeland, much of NJ is considered suburban, and NJ has more than 500 towns. I think it's a fair bet that some of those towns are suburbs. To be honest I don't really "get" the question.
Sorry, I'll try to explain better.

In California, we only have three actual "towns" Town of Apple, Valley, Town of Yucaipa, and one other town I forget.

Technically a town is a township, a different type of municipality by land use and government. Land in towns is in squares, and California land is not in perfect shapes because they were developed in the rancho system.

Townships and towns usually tend to be smaller than cities. In California, some cities used to be towns. In California, small cities tend to have a "small town feeling"

I am not sure if suburbs have a "small town feeling" and tend to be considered towns by having that feeling. Large suburbs like Plano in Texas or Glendale in Pasadena tend to not feel like towns anymore, but are still considered suburbs because they are mostly residential communities near a larger city.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
It depends on the suburb...they certainly aren't all alike. Some are independent cities/towns that grew to be part of a larger metro area with a dominant city. Some are small towns with large populations and are mostly residential. Some are employment centers with smaller populations that are part of a metro area. There are lots of different scenarios.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
I grew up in a suburb of 10,000. Most people think of it as a town though because it's so disconnected from the main city and the other suburbs. All the other suburbs are close and connected to each other. They also border the city.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 PM

160 posts, read 498,700 times
There's a big difference between an exurb and a true suburb. Technically when I lived in NJ I lived in the NY metro area but right across from the high school I would see goats, horses, sheep, farms, and open fields. Most of the town is rural but since 1990 the town's population doubled and there has been a lot of suburan housing made. It really is an exurb because it still retains rural qualities, barely has stores/restaurants, and has no downtown or town cener that a lot of small towns have.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
In my experience, all suburbs feel like cities because they are so close to big cities they often have the same type of people living there and get the same feeling. All though, if the city has less than 100,000 population it does feel like a small town still.
In major metropolitan areas like New York and Chicago, the suburbs stretch for 50 miles or more from the city center. Those outer suburbs look and feel very, very different from the inner-ring suburbs close to the city and they often have very different demographics. I don't know what the New York equivalent is, but here in the Chicago area nobody would confuse, say, Melrose Park with Elburn.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 PM

So would it be safe to presume suburbs with less than 100,000 population will fall with the small town feel, and ones above will have city feel? With the exception of inner-ring suburbs.

Any suburb over 100,000 population seem to develop their own urban center and not be considered a suburb. Like with Pasadena and Glendale.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
^^ Naperville is 125,000 and feels every bit like a suburb -- just a giant one. Many of the larger suburbs in the Chicago area are more accurately described as "satellite cities" in that they initially developed independently of Chicago and were not reliant on Chicago's economic influence, and only became "suburbs" later on as suburbia moved out and eventually enveloped them. Aurora, Joliet, Waukegan, Gary and Kenosha are the most prominent examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning