Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Denver is a city, no matter what you think it is. I think that is pretty clear on my part.

First link of Denver:

A residential area. Yes, Denver has a lot of single family houses. Does that make it "not a city"?

Link #2: NOT downtown Denver; it's a shopping area in a residential district.

Link #3: I've seen similar in many cities. Don't know what you're talking about.

Link #4: This is like "the blind man and the elephant story. Yes, you'll find those areas in Denver.

Here is downtown, something you conveniently did not post:

17th street denver - Google Maps

Lower downtown, AKA "LoDo", where the hipsters like to live:
lodo denver - Google Maps

16th St. Mall:
16th st mall denver - Google Maps
(Note location of Central Business District)

Auraria Higher Education Center (University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan State College of Denver and Community College of Denver):
auraria campus - Google Maps

University of Denver (private, historically Methodist)
university of denver - Google Maps

Do note blocks of gridded streets with mixed apartments and single family housing.

Denver Center for the Performing Arts complex:
denver center for the performing arts - Google Maps

I have also reposted many pictures that CD members have posted of Denver; not going to do it again. Go to the Denver forum and look at them if you wish to educate yourself on what the city really looks like. How did you come to pick those particular areas? If you had googled "downtown", you would not have gotten the picture from link #2.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-20-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver is a city, no matter what you think it is. I think that is pretty clear on my part.

First link of Denver:

A residential area. Yes, Denver has a lot of single family houses. Does that make it "not a city"?
I never said it wasn't a city. I said it's not urban and not really urban living (given the criteria I listed). Compare the Boston area links with the Denver links.

Quote:
Link #2: NOT downtown Denver; it's a shopping area in a residential district.
So were all the Boston area links I posted; the commercial views were all shopping areas in residential districts. They were all even outside the city limits! I avoided downtown on purpose. Downtown areas are almost dense and built up and get lots of visitors, the difference is in the mostly residential areas outside the center city.

Quote:
Link #3: I've seen similar in many cities. Don't know what you're talking about.
Then that area is either in not very urban or an odd spot on the city edge. To me it's classic suburbia not anything urban.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I never said it wasn't a city. I said it's not urban and not really urban living (given the criteria I listed). Compare the Boston area links with the Denver links.

So were all the Boston area links I posted; the commercial views were all shopping areas in residential districts. They were all even outside the city limits! I avoided downtown on purpose. Downtown areas are almost dense and built up and get lots of visitors, the difference is in the mostly residential areas outside the center city.

Then that area is either in not very urban or an odd spot on the city edge. To me it's classic suburbia not anything urban.
Well, many people would disagree with you. Anyone can make up their own criteria to prove anything they want. I haven't worked in public health all these years to not know that. Want to prove that cigarettes are harmless? You can do it!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well, many people would disagree with you. Anyone can make up their own criteria to prove anything they want. I haven't worked in public health all these years to not know that. Want to prove that cigarettes are harmless? You can do it!
You haven't actually argued against my point. You could just as well be making up you own criteria as well.

Do you agree or disagree that there's a big density and built form difference between the Boston area (outside city limits) links and the Denver ones? Unless by interest urban living = to live in city limits I don't see how the Denver areas would provide anywhere near as much "urban living" as the Boston ones.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Just what is your definition of "urban living"?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Just what is your definition of "urban living"?
wrote it in the post you replied to:

Quote:
Urban living to me is high density, convenient to not use a car, often to the point where not using your car can sometimes make thing easier, a short walking distance to many anmetities, and a large amount of pedestrians on the street.
density is the most important factor though not the sole factor as I explained here, as well as having lots of people on the street.

Last edited by nei; 06-20-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,870,202 times
Quote:
It's not going to happen. I care more about density and built form (for example, the contrast between those two street views, whether or not either places are in the city limits are irrelevant — Ogre's first paragraph was a good explanation). I like to think of it as a degree of urbanness; those places past a certain limit are suburban in a relative limit. Those even less so are rural.
I agree that you just cannot go by city limits to define suburban vs. urban.

Instead of comparing two cities (Boston and Denver), just compare two areas within one city (In this case LA):

Porter Ranch is within the city limits, and therefore urban: porter ranch, ca - Google Maps

while West Hollywood is outside city limits, and suburban: west hollywood, ca - Google Maps

Unfortunately, there is no "one-size-fits-all" definition for what is urban vs. suburban and how it relates to placement in city limits.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,954 times
Denver is like most other cities. Has portions of it that are definitely urban, and other portions that are suburban.

I would agree that a majority of the city is suburban in characteristic.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
wrote it in the post you replied to:

density is the most important factor though not the sole factor as I explained [ur=//www.city-data.com/forum/24820501-post51.html]here[/url], as well as having lots of people on the street.
Population density in Denver is 3914 people/sq. mi, considered "average".
//www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html

From this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-denver-6.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/21568828-post154.html

"The Denver Public Transit System has been ranked as the No. 1 system by U.S. News and World Reports 1. Denver-Aurora, Colo.: The 10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News & World Report

A just released report from the US Census titled:
Commuting in the United States: 2009
http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-15.pdf
shows that Denver is on the top of many cities in using public transit, Figure 6, Page 8 as No. 13 out of 50 metro areas."

If you want to see people, go to the Denver index and look at some of the photo tours. Some have been posted here as well.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,870,202 times
Quote:
Population density in Denver is 3914 people/sq. mi, considered "average".
//www.city-data.com/city/Denver-Colorado.html

From this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-denver-6.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/21568828-post154.html

"The Denver Public Transit System has been ranked as the No. 1 system by U.S. News and World Reports 1. Denver-Aurora, Colo.: The 10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News & World Report

A just released report from the US Census titled:
Commuting in the United States: 2009
http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-15.pdf
shows that Denver is on the top of many cities in using public transit, Figure 6, Page 8 as No. 13 out of 50 metro areas."

If you want to see people, go to the Denver index and look at some of the photo tours. Some have been posted here as well.
It didn't seem like Nei was trying to call into question how urban Denver is - that is for another thread - it was used a comparison point that there are areas within some cities that are suburban in nature while there are areas outside many cities that are urban in nature. Often, this can be found within a single city (just like in LA or Boston).

Perhaps Nei would have been more well served comparing Brookline with Hyde Park or Roslindale, that way no one would be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning