Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the healthcare in Utah, and how it works?? We are a PPO in California, we pay a higher premium and a percentage of care, that is not a routine visit. We pick anywhere we want to go, no waiting, no hmo type refferrals.

Is this available there??

Also any recommendations on FABULOUS family care dr AND pediatricians?? ones that actually care about you, know who you are??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:52 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
It totally depends on the kind of insurance you get. Our insurance has a deductible, but no copays, and then a 90/10 coverage after that. Our previous insurance had no deductible, but a $20 copay, and 100% after that. We've had prescription coverage both as part of the health plan and as a separate plan, depending on the company we work for. Mostly we've had PPOs, although years ago we had an HMO plan that I hated. It was cheap, though.

Insurance is usually tied to employment (which I think is stupid), so your coverage will depend on what's offered by your employer. If you're unemployed or self-employed, you can find individual insurance that will be ridiculously high with huge deductibles. There is also medicaid, of course, if you're low-income or disabled, and there is CHIP for kids of low-income families, although I understand it's sometimes hard to get into that program.

As for doctor recommendations, Utah is a big state. If you know what area you'll be living in, someone might be able to recommend a doctor nearby.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times
Most of what is provided in so. Utah is done by United Health Care, no matter your insurance company. Hubby works for IBM, and that is who they contracted with in Utah to carry their insurance here. We have a PPO option as well. This still means that you have to do the regular call up and make appointments. My dr. is one of the few that knows anything (which is not much) about thyroid diseases. For a regular office visit it can take me over 3 weeks to get into see him. If it is pressing it might take me a week before I get that appoinment. If it is an emergency, well there are staff emergency people, but after hours and weekends it is the emergency room route. Like has been said it depends on who and what your insurance is, but it will ultimately down in so. Utah be administered by United Health care.

Funny sidelight. On hwy 9 going into Hurricane from I-15 there are signes on both sides of the hwy. For well over a year it ahs been a battle of who will break and break ground for the hospital. Two different competing health care groups have said they plan to build a hospital. One on one side of the hwy and the other directly across the road from the first. The city doesn't care who builds, they say who ever lays the first brick wins. So with the slow down in the economy here, it has become a wait and see who will actually break ground and build if they build at all. I hope they do. At least he one who is not United Health care oriented. UHC is a pain in the butt to deal with. They have a monopoly donw here with no alternatives.

As for good dr's, again it is the pick of the draw since UHC controls everything. I can't speak about pediatricians. My kids are grown. But being very family oriented, and a large number of kids being born, I'm sure you will find one that is good.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

We are self empoloyed, so i will contact my agent here and have her look into Utah.

St George is where we would be living though....

Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 14,437 times
Insurance is hard as heck to get here for the self employed. My husband and I work as managers of a storage place and the owners do not offer insurance, we looked into it and the price to cover him and I was over half of our monthly income!His cobra runs out in Febuary an we have been looking into the state insurance, but it takes alot to get on it and be approved so right now I am an un insured Utah resident and my husband will be in Febuary, so if any one knows how we can get hlp let me know!!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM

95 posts, read 475,921 times
CravenClan and Helen:

I totally understand about the insurance. The CravenClan pretty much knows who I am. I've been trying to let them know how difficult the situation here in St. George to get good paying wages and an employer who provide decent medical insurance. I moved here from California. I had Blue Cross Cal Cobra. I found no problem seeing doctors and getting treatments, scans, MRI's, blood work and seeing any doctor I wanted since I was a PPO Blue Cross member but once it expired. I have not been able to get coverage due to pre-exciting condition. There is a wonderful small group agency here called Southern Small group insurance. They only specialize with small group insurance coverage and independent. They are on River Rd and River drive. Check in the phone book. The owners are Ken and Gererne and there is another wonderful assistant who is so informative her name is Anna. I'm sure they will be will to help. Unless you find a full time job and the employer provide insurance (which I often have to interview them about their insurance plan before accepting the job) I will know if it's worth it or not. Now if you go online there is also online medical insurance quotes that are find the perfect insurance for you. Remember if your insurance expires and there is a gap, you will have to wait 12 months for any pre-excisting before any insurance covers you. Now unless you get a job with the city you get medical coverage and disability insurance provided for you the 1st day of hire. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:52 PM

95 posts, read 475,921 times
Oh! for your information, there is a new clinic IHC opening up soon on sunset blvd in St. George which will be called "West Sunset IHC clinic". There is only one state of the art hospital in St. George "Dixie Regional" there is an excellent cardio team but they lack in very important other elements such as neuologist surgeons. For special situations as such, you must drive or fly to SLC University Hospital or other good hospitals they have there.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM

24 posts, read 108,694 times
Default Retired Maryland State Employee

I am a Retired Maryland State Employee who has BCBS PPO. My wife and I are about to relocate to St. George (after our house sells) and I was wondering if I will have any medical insurance problems.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM

I went to BCBSofutah.com and here is what i fond out......

My family now pays $952 a month in California, that is on a "small group" plan of 2...We in addition to our premium have a $150 RX drug deductible, $500 annual deductible, and then we pay an additional 30% of anything not the typical office visit, up to $1000, and then 10% of anything above $1000.

I went onlin to the site i mentioned above, and put my family info in, It is my husnband, myself and 3 little kidos.....it was a PPO (i would NEVER do HMO) with a $500 deductible, no drug deductible, $20 office visits, 20% plan for $610!!!!!!

You gotta love California!!! (NOT) If you work you pay through the nose for it, but this state welcomes all illegal aliens, welfare type and anyone else who wants a free ride!! Go figure....It is on the honest persons tax dollar.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times
check into catasropic health insurance as well. It is really not expensive, but covers things that normal insurance won't if something major happens. There are a lot of people that carry only that and have the $5000 amount put away that you would have to pay out of pocket before the insurance would kick in. If your family is mostly healthy I would opt for the school insurance for the kids. It's just an idea. I thought of it when we moved to California the last time. I griped that we paid $78 a month for 5 of us. Everything was covered except a $10 co pay for what ever even hospital stays/surgeries. Thanks to reg 89 and other fun things the insurance industry is more concerned with profit margin than service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah