Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

I'd be driving a Subaru Impreza and no, I'm not one of those goofballs who thinks he's invincible just because he has AWD. I know how to drive in snow, I mean, come on, I'm Russian.

Problem is, it's been a bit of a long while since I've driven in snow. We got a dusting of ice in San Antonio back in February and I drove in that, felt pretty sure and never went out of control. Wish I could say the same for the million abandoned cars on the roads.

Anyways, I was wondering if it's doable to drive across Utah in a Subaru with all-season tires that handled well in the ice storm. Or will I need to take a winter driving class and get some snow tires, as well?

What's y'alls advice? Thank you very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Unless you drive the *scenic* route, that does not get cleared from snow in the winter (if there is snow), then no problem, as long as you stay on the *main* roads.
When there is a bad snow storm before you drive the road or while you are on the road, just take it easy and you'll be OK.
I do suggest, you have a set of tire chains with you.
For Justin Case ..
Drive during daylight hours only, if at all possible.
Dark, unfamiliar roads, with snow or ice on it is not good.
Often there is *black ice* at the late hours and at night, no good either.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Hey Irman...hopefully Justin Case isn't coming with him

Safe travels, Soviet!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
If you plan on staying out here for the winter season, get snow tires. One requirement of the "chains/AWD" restrictions that are put in place is AWD must have at least 2 snow tires. Both Cottonwood Canyons have this restriction on a fairly frequent basis during the snow season and Parleys Canyon has the restriction less often.
If you are not going up to enjoy our fabulous snow, you can get probably survive without them. I love my snow tires and not having to take the ski bus....

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
One requirement of the "chains/AWD" restrictions that are put in place is AWD must have at least 2 snow tires.
I was not aware of that requirement, but I agree that is a very good one.

To put *soviet* more at ease, and make him not feel alone in his predicament,
I could add that even in Utah, where it WILL snow some days in winter,
it is even hard for some native Utahns,
the first snow day how to drive in snow again.
Seems they have forgotten how to adjust their driving habits after each summer of fun ...
I used to drive I-15 north to Ogden each day for work.
In winter after a good first snow, it was like driving on a runway !
All those four wheelers in the ditch or in the center,
all with their lights on, warning other sane drivers not to be an other idiot ...

Because the *Mormon 500* (aka I-15) is about the only way to get from one end of Utah to the other, it is rather well maintained.
I do appreciate the efforts UDOT makes to keep the roads clear.

I have never owned or driven an AWD vehicle,
so I do not know if you do get the feeling that you can drive whichever way in one of those,
but with my front wheel drive, and good winter tires (I have 4 of them),
I have a set of chains in my car I have NEVER used ... yet ...
Never did I get stuck anywhere (in snow) while driving.

So, Mr. Soviet, just get here, drive across Utah, and if you stay, have a great time.
Glad you mentioned you are NOT a goofball ... and I am sure that most of us here do not care if you are Russian or not !
A very very long time ago (BM) I dated a Russian girl, who only spoke Russian and French !!.
She said she was a *White Russian*
I said that I only knew that after having three White Russians (drinks) one should not drive a car anymore !!!

Uhm ...
BM = Before Marriage, and also Before Mormon, take your pick.
White Russian = a creamy vodka and Kahlua mixed drink served on the rocks (for you teetotalers).

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 AM

28 posts, read 84,683 times
haha the Mormon 500...good one!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times
FWIW, we moved to Utah from Ohio, left 12/26/06. Drove south & took I-40 across to 'avoid' the snow. Oy! Ran into the worst snowstorm ABQ has had. lol Our drive through Utah, via Price was uneventful. We had an SUV w/ 4WD at the time.

Good luck & safe moving! =) It's great here. =) I have a number of friends who moved to Utah from Texas, & love it here. =)

Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM

159 posts, read 558,777 times
The elevation above sea-level has quite an impact on the amount of snow here in Utah, and there are PLENTY of times in the Winter that stretches of I-15 are completely closed down due to Winter-related conditions -- could just be one bad accident somewhere, or it could be so many accidents/cars running off the road that public safety & tow-trucks can't deal with the increasing #s, so the freeway is shut-down, or it could simply be due to a blizzard reducing visibility to an unsafe level & road plows not being able to clear the roads.

So a lot has nothing to do with YOUR driving experience or type of vehicle.

Here in my area of SW Utah, Northbound I-15 in Winter is usually OK -- perhaps wet, but not icy/slushy/snowy -- until you hit approximately mile-marker 26, where all of a sudden, you're at that magic altitude where there tends to be snow & ice that unsuspecting people weren't ready to suddenly deal with.

I assume the final leg of your drive will be I-15 thru Las Vegas to Salt Lake City. If so, I suggest that once you hit St George Utah you fill up with gas & make sure you've got some emergency supplies, etc. so that *if* I-15 is closed up ahead, you won't be too uncomfortable sitting in your car for a few hours & waiting. Also you can try to gather info on what the weather is like up ahead:

Utah Department of Transportation

If they close I-15, Utah Highway Patrol diverts traffic off an exit into a city or town. If the storm is bad, any available motel rooms will fill-up quickly, and if I-15 is really bad, there's no guarantee the exit ramp & streets feeding into the town are going to be good, so in a worst-case scenario it's important to have supplies in your car. If you know I-15 is closed up ahead & you don't want to be sitting in you car car in the snow for perhaps up to 5 or 6 hours, getting a hotel/motel room in the St George/Washington City/Hurricane area (Utah I-15 mile markers 4 - 16 area) is your best bet.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

498 posts, read 1,456,053 times
^Mmm, being that the OP is coming from Texas, wouldn't really make sense for him to go through Las Vegas...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
make sense for him to go through Las Vegas...
Scenic Route ???

Regardless, once you enter from the south or east, you can get snow,
if Mother Nature wants to *play* with you ...

Keep in mind that Mothers always like to play with their kids ...
You do not believe me ?
Watch almost any Mother, saying,
*Look dahlin, snow outside (where else ??), would you like to play in it ?*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah