Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 AM

57 posts, read 99,510 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out about the town Roosevelt. Mainly the humidity, how high is it? Still checking out towns, don't want one that has high temps, high 90s with high humidity in summer and 0 or lower in the winter.
I have been doing a search, but most of the threads are old, 2007, 2013, so would like some up-to-date info.

I can get the temps at different sites, but some don't give a good idea of what the humidity is.
And, what is there, what kind of stores, is there a Target? what pharmacies?

Is there a problem with inversion there?

I look online at Realtor to find out the cost of houses, but not sure about good locations, what is a good area to live in.
We will be a retired couple, with our adult son so don't need to worry about schools.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Bah, sorry - I keep responding to all your threads, but you seriously keep asking about towns I've worked or lived in/near, so I feel the need to give some input.

Anyway, if you're overly concerned with inversion, do your homework about the Uintah Basin (Roosevelt, Vernal, Maeser, Duchesne). The oilfields have the potential to cause serious pollution issues.
Utah DEQ: Uinta Basin: Ozone: Overview
New study explains wintertime ozone pollution in Utah oil and gas fields

Other than that I really like Roosevelt. They have a sit-down Pizza Hut! (I love those and stop every time I pass through!) No Target, but Walmart is 20 minutes up the road in Vernal. Doesn't get terribly hot, probably never above 100, and really no where in Utah is what I would call humid - the whole state is arid or semi-arid. Also, I'm not sure what the real estate market is like right now, but I know 3-4 years ago there was a bit of a resource boom and it inflated real estate prices in that area by a lot. Maybe they've come down since.

Just a fair warning about those towns though - They are oil towns. They have oil workers.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:37 PM

Sorry about that,

I found a site (don't remember where it was at) that stated that the towns with the worst inversion is Ogden, Murrey, Draper, St. George, SLC, Park City, Provo, Orem, Logan, Brigham City, Vernal and Tooele. Said that Logan and Cedar City also had problems with inversion, just not as bad.

But it didn't say anything about Roosevelt, Richfield, Smithfield or Monticello. One site said that Herber and Santaquin had high humidity.

We want to move away from high humidity, not to another area that has high humidity. Also, really cold temps. That is more of single digits with wind chill in the negative teens, not just 5 degrees.

Delta is more desert than what we want; nice sounding town and it is staying on the list, just want to check out others.

Surgery was today, he came out fine, one shoulder down, the other to be worked on two months from now. Six to seven months after that, then the evaluation to see how much permanent damage he will have.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
How about the area around St. George or, perhaps, up around Cedar City? Moab and Blanding are unique in many ways as well.

I hope it goes well for your husband. Let us know how it's going.

Bill

Old 08-07-2015, 08:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
The pollution thing is more regional than isolated to one or two cities per county. It's not due to the size of our cities or because of our population, it's entirely due to geography. We put all of our towns next to mountains and the air gets trapped by them and stagnates. This is why you won't find more pollution in SLC than you will in Smithfield, despite SLC being 20x the size.
  • Utah, Salt Lake, Davis and Weber Counties will have inversion off and on throughout the winter, and sometimes in the summer too. Most days there's nothing, but if we don't get a storm winter for a few weeks (or we have multiple consecutive days in the high 90's) it becomes disgusting.
  • Cache County (Where Logan, Smithfield, Providence, and others are) also becomes truly awful sometimes during the winter, but again only when we don't have a storm for a while and I don't recall ever seeing summer pollution there.
  • The Uinta Basin (Uintah, Dagget and Duchesne Counties) won't have the ugly thick grey gunky inversion, like we get along the Wasatch Front, but what you're inhaling will be equally unpleasant. Those oil rigs really put off some nasty stuff you may not want to be inhaling and they operate all year, not just in the winter.
  • Eastern Box Elder County (Brigham City/Tremonton/Willard, etc.) will also have some on the same days that Salt Lake/Ogden has it, but typically not as strong. You might actually like those towns.
Other than those areas though you probably won't see much inversion anywhere in the state. Also, Heber is not humid, nor is Santaquin. I am open to being corrected by anyone else on here - but I wouldn't call anywhere in the state humid. We're the second driest state in the nation, after Nevada.

There's a super long thread on Utah inversions here, it's about 90% fear mongering and maybe 10% really useful information, so you're welcome to look at it but don't let it ruin Utah for you
//www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...nversions.html

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 08-07-2015 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the info.
I did read several pages of the inversion thread, several at the start then jumped around until the last three or four pages. Did research online at other area to find out about inversion, where it is at.

Where I live we have (had) several factories, steel, chemical and a oil refinery is close by. Grew up with shinny, sparkly flakes on the ground and never realized it was from the steel plant and we were all breathing it in. Smell of chemicals, smog from the coal furnaces in the plants were just everyday life to me. Most have shut down now, but the damage to the environment and the health of the people here is still prevalent.
Really don't want to have to live with that anymore. Will continue to check out the towns suggested here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah