Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 AM

49 posts, read 69,312 times

Advertisements

So thinking of moving to Utah from PA, looking for something that's fairly rural but still offers high speed internet of some sort. My wife and I are both nurses and we are willing to travel up to 45min~ish for work. Trying to find something with 4 seasons and (the hard part) fairly wooded. Being from PA we are used to dense forests and I know Utah is fairly arid but forest maps show some forests in the state. Where should we be looking? We are really non-religious and not really bothered by religious people just as long as i'm not getting rocks tossed at me for not going to church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 AM

388 posts, read 548,735 times
You want to live rurally in the forest but be at work in 45 mins?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM

243 posts, read 628,683 times
There is nowhere in Utah that will be a forest like you are used to in the east. That being said, there are a couple places you can live with the wild at your backdoor and still live close enough to commute to work. I'd start looking in the Park City, Heber Valley, Kamas, Oakley area. That's probably your best bet. There are medical centers in Heber and Park City. You could work there and live in all sorts of places within 45 minutes of there that are more wooded. High speed internet might be more of a challenge in some places, but you'll probably be able to find it. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 AM

42 posts, read 104,381 times
Alpine, Oakley, lots of places on the East Bench but it can get spendy. You wont find big large lots with private yards without spending $$. Im currently in OH, similar to your wooded area but a Utah Native. Planning on the move back myself, I think you will find it pleasantly surprising. For example.. closest major City, Denver, Vegas, etc.. 8 hours and lots of space between. Far fewer people, cleaner.. I can go on.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 20,217 times
Finding a large expanse of wooded areas on the cheap can be tough. A nice area is Timberlakes near Heber. This is about 15 mins to Heber, 20 to Park City and about 1 HR to SLC Downtown. Nice and wooded and good size lots.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
What would locally be considered a "good size lot" within any community that's a reasonable SLC commute? My own standard would be 1 acre minimum lots and go up from there. There's a large cluster of such properties in Holiday, all are well into 7 digits.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
In Utah, you aren't gonna have trees unless you are in the mountains or if someone planted them on your suburban lot. Most of the mountains/canyons are public land; private mountain land anywhere near the Wasatch Front is gonna be pricey.

Even then, Utah is a totally different set of environments than the East coast and you've gotta square with that if you want to be happy here. The closest you'll ever get are the older suburban neighborhoods on the East Bench but it still won't be the same.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
OP, Utah is high desert country. Look elsewhere for your wooded land.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 39,111 times
Though Utah is drier overall than all other states besides Nevada, the high mountains (including the Wasatch Range) are a noticeably different climate than the high desert valleys and plateaus. Storms roll in from the west, pick up additional moisture as they pass over the Great Salt Lake and other lakes, are pushed upwards by the mountains, and finally release their moisture. Most of the precipitation here does fall in the form of snow rather than rain, but the end result is that the higher elevation mountain slopes and canyons are forested. It's not the same thick woods continuing for hundreds of miles in every direction as where you're coming from, but it does get dense in certain areas.

The region you want to research for more rural neighborhoods with some wooded landscape is the "Wasatch Back." This includes the following primary communities: Heber City/Midway, Park City, Kamas/Oakley, Coalville, Morgan, Huntsville. Wooded lots can be found in these areas, and in most cases (other than Park City) for less money than a lot in Holladay or the mouth of the Cottonwood Canyons.

You may want to check out Morgan Valley, particularly Peterson and Mountain Green. Mountain Green is about a 40 minute drive from downtown Salt Lake City, 15 minutes from downtown Ogden. Huntsville may be another one to consider, though you'll push past the 45 minute commute to Salt Lake if you move there.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
If you want real forested type country as you are used to, you don't go to Utah. The trees are small, and the feel of being forested is not there.

If you want the type of forested areas you are used to, you have to go to the equivalent of the North East, which is the North West as far as forested areas go.

We moved from the North West to Colorado years ago, where we lived for a number of years. The treed area there is similar to what it is like in Utah. One of my wife's brothers and his wife came to visit from North West California. We lived in the mountain area with what they called forest there which is similar to Utah. Judy kept saying, how she loved those little tiny trees and how cute they looked. Until we explained, she thought the forests were where they had just recently replanted a cut over forest, and the trees were just taking hold and starting to grow.

In addition, the underbrush growth under the trees like in North East and Northwest is not there, is not in the Utah forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah