Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 01:43 PM

129 posts, read 515,405 times

Advertisements

After reading the posts about moving to Utah, and all the danger that entails, my response is: very interesting

In that regard: if you found out you were going to have to re-locate to, say, Ireland or Italy---would you be all in a dither or fearful because you faced a future living among Catholics in a predominately Catholic country?

Last edited by LlasaLost; 11-04-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 26,820 times
Default Knowledge is a good thing!

If I was moving anywhere and reading/receiving the same type of information I wouldn't say I would be in a 'dither' (and am not), but 'cautious' definitely. Knowledge is a good thing Happy Reading!!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:37 PM

109 posts, read 405,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
After reading the posts about moving to Utah, and all the danger that entails, my response is: very interesting

In that regard: if you found out you were going to have to re-locate to, say, Ireland or Italy---would you be all in a dither or fearful because you faced a future living among Catholics in a predominately Catholic country?
Well, I guess the answer would depend on how close to Northern Ireland I would be !

Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM

129 posts, read 515,405 times
Forouche---tee-hee (assume you're not worried about Switzerland)

Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 86,296 times
Quote:

After living among Catholics and Mormons at different points in my life, I have to say it's like comparing apples and oranges. Those that I've met who worship in Catholic churches typically are involved with church activities one day of the week. Maybe two if confession is required. Those who follow LDS tenets (at least here in So. UT) are much more involved. There's RS, Young Mens/Womens, Home Teaching, Visiting Teaching, Family Home Evening, etc. There also daily scripture readings and other assorted church-related things.

I would say Catholicism is a "Sunday religion," but Mormonism is a lifestyle. Thus when you move in among them, you have to deal with Catholic "issues" much less frequently than Mormon.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplo View Post
After living among Catholics and Mormons at different points in my life, I have to say it's like comparing apples and oranges. Those that I've met who worship in Catholic churches typically are involved with church activities one day of the week. Maybe two if confession is required. Those who follow LDS tenets (at least here in So. UT) are much more involved. There's RS, Young Mens/Womens, Home Teaching, Visiting Teaching, Family Home Evening, etc. There also daily scripture readings and other assorted church-related things.

I would say Catholicism is a "Sunday religion," but Mormonism is a lifestyle. Thus when you move in among them, you have to deal with Catholic "issues" much less frequently than Mormon.
And Catholics can have alcohol, tea and coffee without feeling guilty and ashamed

Old 12-10-2015, 12:50 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
And Catholics can have alcohol, tea and coffee without feeling guilty and ashamed
And they do!

Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times
Quote:
- Catholics? No.
- Ultra Orthodox jews?, yes.
- Secular Jews? No.
- Amish? Yes.
- Mennonites? Probably.

At the end of the day, some groups keep to themselves as much as possible both business wise and socially. Thus, concerns about the abilitty to make social and professional contacts are warranted.

My understanding is that the unofficial shunning policy that led to various degrees of shunning of "gentiles" by a certain number of Mormons for various reasons has been greatly reduced. This is probably due to the influx of transplants into Utah. Even still, if I were moving to Utah, I would inquire about the practice of it in the location where I was going and also if there are any traditionally "gentile" neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah