Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 14,100 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Praying we can afford to retire to gorgeous Utah!! I've been looking on various sites for lists of affordable cities in UT. I have been unsuccessful finding an area we can afford and in each comment section of these lists residents of the areas say the list is incorrect and in fact list some of the most expensive places

Can anyone help us please by suggesting actual affordable places to live?

Thank you kindly in advance!!
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What is affordable to you? What price house or rent for what size? Taxes, food, utilities? That's a really broad question.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
And weather, location (mountains with large trees or desert areas). UT ha a lot of variable places to live.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,855 times
I agree it is a broad question for sure! while sometimes not the cheapest place DEFINATELY not an expensive place either. just depends on what you look for on specifics.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie60 View Post
I've been looking on various sites for lists of affordable cities in UT. I have been unsuccessful finding an area we can afford and in each comment section of these lists residents of the areas say the list is incorrect and in fact list some of the most expensive places.
Well, I can see how that would be true. I live in Cottonwood Heights. Some of the homes here are absolute mansions. I mean, I couldn't even dream of living in them. Other homes here are almost look like they belong in a trailer park. The same holds true with respect to Holladay, Sandy and Draper. So if you are looking at a list of affordable cities in Utah, all of these may be included. That definitely doesn't mean you could afford any home in those areas. You're going to have to give us a little more of an idea of what you consider "affordable" than you have. We'd love to help you zero in on somewhere that might work for you, but what would be affordable to one person wouldn't be to another.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I agree Utah is a very beautiful state. There are many, many affordable places in Utah.

Salt Lake City is very expensive by Utah standards.

Alot of the eastern suburbs like Holladay, Cottonwood Heights and Millcreek are very expensive per square feet because they have the views and are in an area of the Valley that has more demand.

There are many, many affordable areas in Utah.

I would say in general you pay half of the price per square foot of Colorado in Utah for similar mountain scenery and amenities.

In Salt Lake County the older, southern suburbs tend to be the most affordable such as West Jordan, South Jordan and Magna.

Murray isn't cheap but is close to Salt Lake City but has a lower price tag for similar houses.

Utah County offers far more per-square foot then Salt Lake County does.

Northern Davis County areas that are older such as Layton, Bountiful, Centerville will offer more for the money.

Also, if you don't mind more rural Tooele County offers large homes for a much lower price per square foot.

Other small cities that are small but affordable with nice mountain scenery: Logan, Cedar City, Tremonton and Richfield.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Is the area west of downtown SLC and I-15 known as West Valley City less or more expensive than the suburbs south of Provo like Spanish Fork and Payson ?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I just did a general search and it looks like both Spanish Fork in Utah County and West Valley City next to Salt Lake City are in the $110-$120 per square foot range.

Magna would likely be the lowest cost per square foot in Salt Lake County.

Which means a 2,000 square foot home would be $220,000-$240,000

Santaquin which is just south of Spanish Fork is more like $90 per square foot.

The cheapest home prices per square foot in Utah or Salt Lake counties would be in: Magna, West Valley City, Santaquin, Eagle Mountain.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 PM

149 posts, read 226,275 times
Generally not as 'nice' as the greater SLC area but Ogden is an affordable alternative a little ways away too.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
I often wonder about threads started asking for information in a way that is more of a editorial comment than an inquiry for assistance where the OP never returns to provide clarification or thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah