Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times

Advertisements

It seems that Utah may be the only state in the Union with enough self respect to not vote for one of the two major party clowns running for President. I want to congratulate you all for your sound judgement.

Also, I thought y'all should see this. How Evan McMullin Could Win Utah And The Presidency | FiveThirtyEight It seems given that America is going to lose in 49 of 50 states, please put one bright spot on the electoral map.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:48 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
Unfortunately for McMullin supporters that is purely fan-fiction.

For it to happen, Trump would need to win Nevada, North Carolina and Florida - states which Clinton leads by about 3-4% points. He would also need to win either Wisconsin or New Hampshire, states which Clinton leads by about 6-7% in. If he loses any of those states, he'd have to win in Michigan or Pennsylvania, states which Clinton leads in by 9-10%. If he loses in Florida, he'd have to win both. In the super off chance any of this happens, it now requires congress to select a guy with zero political background, who received 6 electoral votes compared to two candidates who received ~265, one of which is the "Republican" and the other who was a former Secretary of State and state Senator. That's just unrealistic, even for a Republican controlled congress.

The reality is barring some shocking revelation in the next couple weeks, Hillary Clinton will be the next president. I'm not too terribly thrilled with it either, but it is what it is. I'm happy to see a non-major party candidate look as though he may win a state. Even if I disagree with him, and believe he would make a terrible president, I think it sets a precedent in the future for candidates who aren't controlled by our corporate duopoly, so please - if you're a Utahan vote for this guy!

Just don't have delusions that some magical scenario will allow him to win.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 AM

317 posts, read 652,423 times
I know that the Libertarian Party has had a huge jump in Utah this election cycle.

The polls can't be trusted at this point so no one really knows where most voters stand. The McMullin stuff appears to be exaggerated to many, since he's primarily being cheer-leaded by one media company (KSL, Deseret News, SL Tribune- all owned by the same company), but who knows. Only the election results will tell for sure.

Many LDS find Trump's behavior distasteful. It should be noted that neither Trump nor Hillary won in their respective primaries in the state. Utah went Bernie for the Dems and Cruz for the Reps with Trump coming in 3rd in the Republican primary after Kasich.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:38 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Unfortunately for McMullin supporters that is purely fan-fiction.

For it to happen, Trump would need to win Nevada, North Carolina and Florida - states which Clinton leads by about 3-4% points. He would also need to win either Wisconsin or New Hampshire, states which Clinton leads by about 6-7% in. If he loses any of those states, he'd have to win in Michigan or Pennsylvania, states which Clinton leads in by 9-10%. If he loses in Florida, he'd have to win both. In the super off chance any of this happens, it now requires congress to select a guy with zero political background, who received 6 electoral votes compared to two candidates who received ~265, one of which is the "Republican" and the other who was a former Secretary of State and state Senator. That's just unrealistic, even for a Republican controlled congress.

The reality is barring some shocking revelation in the next couple weeks, Hillary Clinton will be the next president. I'm not too terribly thrilled with it either, but it is what it is. I'm happy to see a non-major party candidate look as though he may win a state. Even if I disagree with him, and believe he would make a terrible president, I think it sets a precedent in the future for candidates who aren't controlled by our corporate duopoly, so please - if you're a Utahan vote for this guy!

Just don't have delusions that some magical scenario will allow him to win.
I decided just a few days ago to change my vote from Clinton to McMullin. Yeah, their politics are vastly different, and my views are a lot closer to Clinton's than to McMullin's. But I can't, in good conscience, vote for either Trump or Clinton. I value my own integrity far too much. If I thought that my vote for McMullin would benefit Trump, I wouldn't vote for him, but it will more likely benefit Clinton who, in the end, will be better for the country than Trump.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:25 AM

121 posts, read 190,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But I can't, in good conscience, vote for either Trump or Clinton. I value my own integrity far too much.
Agree 100% with this. I wish more people would make the same stand. Say what you want about McMullin/Johnson/Stein and their lack of experience or wacky interviews or crazy ideology. At least they appear to be (but who knows with more scrutiny) mostly decent people. It's sad that I've had to set the bar so low for my vote.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:29 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
Agree 100% with this. I wish more people would make the same stand. Say what you want about McMullin/Johnson/Stein and their lack of experience or wacky interviews or crazy ideology. At least they appear to be (but who knows with more scrutiny) mostly decent people. It's sad that I've had to set the bar so low for my vote.
McMullin doesn't seem wacky or crazy to me. It's just that he is a lot more politically conservative than I am. The way I look at it, though, I'd rather have a morally decent person in the White House that a crook or a lunatic. And when it gets right down to it, Congress is going to direct the course of this nation more than the President is.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
I know that the Libertarian Party has had a huge jump in Utah this election cycle.

The polls can't be trusted at this point so no one really knows where most voters stand. The McMullin stuff appears to be exaggerated to many, since he's primarily being cheer-leaded by one media company (KSL, Deseret News, SL Tribune- all owned by the same company), but who knows. Only the election results will tell for sure.

Many LDS find Trump's behavior distasteful. It should be noted that neither Trump nor Hillary won in their respective primaries in the state. Utah went Bernie for the Dems and Cruz for the Reps with Trump coming in 3rd in the Republican primary after Kasich.
Not so. Indeed, the SLT was recently purchased by Paul Huntsman of the well-known Huntsman clan.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 PM

317 posts, read 652,423 times
You're right, kletter1mann, I had forgotten that. Good thing that it happened, too. Losing the Trib wouldn't have been positive for Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: