Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 20,953 times

Advertisements

I'm a fairly liberal guy, especially on social issues, and I just find Utah amazing! The mountains, snow, recreation, etc., interests me a lot. But Utah is very, very conservative, and that's something I have trouble living with. I'm looking to live in a liberal city in northern Utah (A.K.A, not Moab)
I'm slightly religious, but not VERY religious and certainly not mormon.
Salt Lake City and the suburbs such as Draper, West Jordan, Valley City and such have interested me, as well as the Ogden/Layton area. Utah County is so, so beautiful but it's so mormon and conservative.
Park City is nice, but it's a small and expensive city.

So what are your thoughts on liberal Utahn cities?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsch441 View Post
I'm a fairly liberal guy, especially on social issues, and I just find Utah amazing! The mountains, snow, recreation, etc., interests me a lot. But Utah is very, very conservative, and that's something I have trouble living with. I'm looking to live in a liberal city in northern Utah (A.K.A, not Moab)
I'm slightly religious, but not VERY religious and certainly not mormon.
Salt Lake City and the suburbs such as Draper, West Jordan, Valley City and such have interested me, as well as the Ogden/Layton area. Utah County is so, so beautiful but it's so mormon and conservative.
Park City is nice, but it's a small and expensive city.

So what are your thoughts on liberal Utahn cities?
Actually, if you were to stick to Salt Lake City itself and not the suburbs, you'd probably be pleasantly surprised. Salt Lake City hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1974. The current mayor is a married lesbian woman. Downtown, 9th and 9th, the Avenues and Sugar House would be good places for you to look.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM

49 posts, read 102,299 times
My speech is it matters more if you have kids, less if you don't. The areas Katzpur suggested are all more liberal. You can very easily find like minded people in Salt Lake County since you have the ability to build your tribe as you'd like - across blocks, via work, etc.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
The aves and liberty park area down to sugarhouse is about as liberal as Utah gets. I would also say park city is also more on the liberal side.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 30,865 times
Salt Lake City, and Sugarhouse.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:31 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,215,292 times
My advice would be to really think hard about it. On personal level and living in East benches in SLC, we hardly feel out of place. But, living in a one party state with no relevant political voice does take its toll over time. That there is no hope of change in this picture is disheartening. We love a lot about Utah (and still love all the things that brought us here) but 5 years into it, we are a lot more open and interested in moving on. We did not think this and almost don't want to believe that this would matter so much to us but it does on enough days.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:39 AM

163 posts, read 318,218 times
Default Liberals

Agree with Lraien - You have the ability to build your tribe as you'd like - across blocks, via work, etc.

They may not be the majority, but there are liberals everywhere in Utah. There is enough diversity in this state that you will find like-minded people just about anywhere you go, especially if you become engaged in causes that you support. If you're not that engaged, maybe you're not as liberal as you think.

I'm definitely not on board with the idea that liberals should all go self-segregate in Sugarhouse.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:27 AM

199 posts, read 255,682 times
My family and I recently moved here from Florida (7 weeks ago, to be exact). We settled in the Foothills area just east of Sugarhouse and we love it. We are liberal, particularly in regard to social issues. We haven't had much experience with local politics yet, but feel comfortable so far. Everyone we have met has been lovely.

I am early 40s, fairly tattooed...half-sleeves on both arms (although I am very personally conservative in my own behavior: borderline neurotic etiquette, conservative dress, non-drinker...in other words, super boring ). I haven't had any issues. I was worried about moving to a large LDS area being tattooed because I know it is looked at a bit differently from a religious standpoint, but I honestly think most people could care less.

I believe there is a considerable LGBTQ community here and there was quite a large Pride parade shortly before our arrival in SLC. I was very worried about lack of diversity prior to moving, but I have found this to be inaccurate. There is some lack of diversity in regard to some population groups, but more diversity in others compared to my city in South Florida. I mention this because an increase in diversity generally reflects a diverse political population as well. I think this is true for SLC. Maybe not as much in the surrounding cities/suburbs.

I've accepted that I am a speck of Blue in a sea of Red here in Utah, but SLC has been a nice surprise and you cannot top the outdoor opportunities here. There is a wonderful offering of great food and activities as well. I'm sure for a liberal, unwavering conservative politics can be grinding after a while. That is all the more reason to move here! We can help balance out the beautiful state of Utah! It's important to have fair representation in the microcosms of our great country!

Old 08-02-2017, 01:23 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,856 times
SLC is the most liberal city in Utah, but it's relative. Liberal in a red state is very different than liberal in a blue state, and "The Church" (the Mormon/LDS Church) still has a big say in politics for the entire state, which of course includes SLC.

The thing is, it seems like everything rotates around the Mormon church in some way here. Even if you're not a member, and liberal, and whatever else not sanctioned by "The Church," it still won't be far from your mind or your conversations. For instance, you might find yourself talking about the stupid liquor laws that are in place entirely because of the church. Or you might regularly try to suss out if a new acquaintance is a member of the church before you swear in front of them, etc. I have very liberal family members who were born and raised here (and were never Mormon), but who still regularly bemoan how the church pretty much runs the state. So, even if you have nothing to do with the church, you're still affected by it while living here.

The longer you live here, the more you notice it. I noticed a few small things right away (that I hadn't noticed when I was just a regular visitor), but it took two or three years before I started getting annoyed and wanted to move out. Right now, I'm stuck - that will change in a couple years, however.

That said, being outdoorsy will definitely help, and Utah is a beautiful state and great for outdoors activity.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:54 PM

49 posts, read 102,299 times
^^^
Snatale - I think there is a difference between being okay with others having different beliefs than you than jumping headfirst into a location that is politically/socially/etc. structured in ways that may go against your strongly held beliefs.

I'd say it's pretty smart to research what you're getting into and knowing something isn't for you. I decided against California because I consider myself Libertarian Liberal but not California liberal. I researched enough to know that the taxation, etc. would be a constant sore spot and so I elected not to go there. I didn't say California sucks or they shouldn't be allowed to be a BLUE state - I simply decided to pass on planting myself in their midst.

Check KSL or any other local forum - "well why don't you move/leave/etc." is a common retort to many people who express frustration with Utah's conservative climate -- and I'm sure my opinions on a CALI site would render much the same in the opposite direction.

Your comment seems to be rooted in pretending like living somewhere where everyone else thinks differently than you has no impact on your day to day life when the truth is completely opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah