Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times

Advertisements

Iron County welcomes new town, Cedar Highlands

"This is a rare moment where we can witness a quintessential American process — the founding of a new town," New Cedar Highlands Mayor Steven Swann said prior to being sworn-in Friday. "The right of a group of to self-determination."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 AM

317 posts, read 652,423 times
It's built on the ancient Green Hollow landslide. I would suggest that anyone looking to buy or build there get a really good geological assessment first.

https://geology.utah.gov/landslide-status-stirs-debate/

Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Default Built on ancient "landslide" ...

What makes people risk so much to built something on an area where you are almost guaranteed to sit on a time bomb ?

I lived and worked in Switzerland years ago and know of a bygone area where there was this place called "Falli Hölli".
A simply incredible place of beauty and an amazing view of a valley below.
There was a hotel (I knew the owners) and we stayed there many times.
On the hill side, many small vacation homes ...

Then one day it just went down the mountain, most of the mountain side !

The link below is an interview with the people who were from there. At the end of the clip (@ 5:07), the daughter of the owners (and my secretary) talks about the instance.
My apologies about the Swiss dialect, and I am not sure if there is an App that will translate the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUvCiK_BrW0

PLANAT National Platform for Natural Hazards Information platform on natural hazards in Switzerland [Images Details]

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fall...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I still can not fathom why the Swiss government even allowed that area to be developed into a vacation spot ? I do not care how long ago that area was *created* by Nature ... Once a slide, always a slide, or ?

By the way ...
"Falli Hölli", means *Slides - Caves* ...

Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 PM

317 posts, read 652,423 times
There is a lot of local pressure not to talk about it here in Cedar City. The HOA of Cedar Highlands even threatened to sue Iron County about all the "rumors and hearsay" hurting property values up there. The thing is, it's actually provably a landslide. But money is involved, so we all know how that goes. There's an archived article about the brawl here, but it's behind a paywall. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/283162826/

There are a lot of geological issues in the whole Cedar City area, so I'd advise everyone to at least do some research before buying. Some areas are worse off than others. In addition to landslide issues, there are collapsible soil issues in some canyon and other areas and issues such as this. Fissure in booming Utah city divides residents, swallows dreams - The Salt Lake Tribune

I don't regret buying here, but I wouldn't imagine there is much chance that my house will still be intact 100 years from now.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Wow that article is scary!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
That is scary.

I have heard if you follow the money far enough you find the answers to the questions everyone wants to know.

My question is how does a town of 150 maintain viability. It does not sound like enough people to even have a town. Realize I am from a "small city" of 207,000 or so. I have heard of other places that had more people than 150 and those communities were wondering how they would remain as communities. Did what I read about property taxes have anything to do with this? Are they able to increase property taxes? Or are they just able to have access to the funds now. I have no idea how Utah Property taxes work. I would hate to live in a place that could increase property tax just because they needed extra cash.

What about pay? Does the Mayor and the city council get paid for their service?

The land slide thing would scare me away. With the cost of land so expensive where I live we have had developers building close to a river bed. It is dry most years. Maybe every 20 or so it fills up. Every 100 years if floods out. Everyone knows not to build down there. Developers say that they have it covered. They have added extra precautions. Well good luck with that. The only people buying there are people that are new to the area. Good for them, they get a beautiful home that someday may float down to the ocean. Hope it floats. LOL

Old 01-19-2018, 04:46 PM

160 posts, read 174,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Iron County welcomes new town, Cedar Highlands

"This is a rare moment where we can witness a quintessential American process — the founding of a new town," New Cedar Highlands Mayor Steven Swann said prior to being sworn-in Friday. "The right of a group of to self-determination."
How exciting ! I bet that area will have stately new homes... I have stayed in Cedar City on trips...all seasons, and I have to say that there isn't much else to Iron County, but THIS sounds interesting.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM

160 posts, read 174,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is scary.

I have heard if you follow the money far enough you find the answers to the questions everyone wants to know.

My question is how does a town of 150 maintain viability. It does not sound like enough people to even have a town. Realize I am from a "small city" of 207,000 or so. I have heard of other places that had more people than 150 and those communities were wondering how they would remain as communities. Did what I read about property taxes have anything to do with this? Are they able to increase property taxes? Or are they just able to have access to the funds now. I have no idea how Utah Property taxes work. I would hate to live in a place that could increase property tax just because they needed extra cash.

What about pay? Does the Mayor and the city council get paid for their service?

The land slide thing would scare me away. With the cost of land so expensive where I live we have had developers building close to a river bed. It is dry most years. Maybe every 20 or so it fills up. Every 100 years if floods out. Everyone knows not to build down there. Developers say that they have it covered. They have added extra precautions. Well good luck with that. The only people buying there are people that are new to the area. Good for them, they get a beautiful home that someday may float down to the ocean. Hope it floats. LOL
207,000 is much bigger than you think (unless your hometown has an extremely high population density) ...and OMG! Building near a riverbed is just ASKING for it. Barstow, CA has done that...not pretty when a flash flood comes. What new people move to Cedar City ?

Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 PM

106 posts, read 109,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
we have had developers building close to a river bed. It is dry most years. Maybe every 20 or so it fills up. Every 100 years if floods out. Everyone knows not to build down there. Developers say that they have it covered. They have added extra precautions. Well good luck with that. The only people buying there are people that are new to the area. Good for them, they get a beautiful home that someday may float down to the ocean. Hope it floats. LOL
Maybe the developers' "extra precautions" - Homes that float?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: