Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
If you don't yet have an established career, don't absolutely crave nightlife (although as long as you're not used to really big city nightlife, I don't think you'd have a problem here anyway; there's still options), and are looking for cheap housing compared to Florida, then Utah is the place for you!

A few things to know, though:

-In winter, it snows a lot. Usually it's not really big snows in the valleys, but it'll snow on a lot of days.
-Sometimes winter, especially January, can be very hazy. The valleys that the cities sit in trap pollutants and we get an inversion. You'll get horrible air quality and it will be one of the ugliest things you'll ever see on some days.
-People seem to drive BETTER in the snow here. Also, nothing closes when it snows. I'm sure if they saw a snowflake in Tampa it would be like the Apocalypse.
-It's VERY dry. I think the dryness would be more difficult for someone from Florida to adjust to than the cold or the snow. A girl I knew who moved from Florida in the summer told me, in SEPTEMBER, that it was too cold. Also, she said she felt like she was breathing in dust all the time. However, moving from a humid to a dry climate is probably an easier adjustment than moving from a dry to a humid climate.
-Summers and LONG and HOT, although being from Florida that shouldn't be an issue. The difference is is that you can literally go WEEKS without rain in summer. And if it does rain, it doesn't rain for long. However, summer nights are nice. In Florida, it's still hot and sticky in the middle of the night. Here, it will drop into the cool 50s or 60s most of the time, and it'll be dry.
-If you might get a career with an airline, Delta has a hub here. It's one of the most dominant industries here, so that shouldn't really be a problem. Seriously, if Delta decided to close their hub here, it would hurt the economy big-time and a lot of people would be pissed off.
-People are definitely overall more friendly and curteous than many other large cities.

Hope you enjoy it! It seems like a good place for you.
It sure does seem like the place for me!!! Im not a mormon, but I dont think that will be a big deal. im not against it, just not really into going to church and all. The weather here sucks 99% of the time. We get an occational semi-dry day with cool weather. But its usually hot and humid even at night, like you said it is cool but still sticky and nasty. I Really dont know what im going to do for a career. I found a new job here in the hotel industry and although its to soon to really tell, it seems like a path id be willing to take. i cant wait to go snowboarding for the first time!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 AM

35 posts, read 155,499 times
Don't worry Tim, I'm coming from maryland so we can be in the culture shock together..lol....I so understand the triple h (hazy, hot, humid) effect out here on the East Coast (i'm heading out there from Maryland) and I am just waiting for the dryness instead of the frizzy hair days (which is everyday usually)

Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM

well frizzy hair isnt really my problem since I keep it quite short haha.. Man this morning, at 5 am driving to work I had to turn on the a/c because the humidity/heat was insane. Nothing makes my day start off worse then being hot and sticky at 5 am

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
Default moving

do your homework just like any move. Take a vacation here and stay somewhere local. Give it enough time to really emerse yourself in the culture. Do not listen to any opinion in the extreme go for the middle views. I have lived in both fl and ut personally I adore ut. I also am mormon and have 5 kids so fab for me. Fl was alright no great shocks cause I did my homework. Ut is a culture state meaning there is a history here that is fairly deep. I am a transplant so this isnt my history.....i am mi gal. But I would highly recommend going to temple square to get the lds-lite perspective then go to where your "people " congregate. See if you can in your comfort zone here. I mean go to the local clubs if thats your idea of a night out. Visit the local cultural scenes if your a activist........local church or groups ect. Go to the supermarket check out the schools whatever you need to do to see the real utah with your own eyes. I really despise anyone who feels the need to trash someone elses backyard cause they cant take the time and energy to be responsible for thier own happiness. Too often true in utah. I disliked florida cause of the weather 3 hurricanes

Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM

The hurricanes dont really bother me, I just cant stand the discusting heat, rude people and lack of anything fun to do. Fun for me is skiing, snowboarding, 4 wheeling, stuff that that range. I dont like to go clubbing and party much. Im really not LDS but my fiance is, I grew up babtist but im really pretty open on religion and dont believe a specific one, that I have found yet anyways. one thing I did like, and notice about the mormon people is that most of them actually live the life they say, unlike most christians who are only christians when they feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah