Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2006, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,736 times

Advertisements

I recently passed through Kanab while on vacation and was impressed with what a clean, growing, and scenic place it seemed to be. I am looking to relocate from Miami in the next few years to a more rural, conservative,friendly, and scenic area. Can anyone give me a candid and descriptive picture of life in the area?
Is there any need for a highly experienced small animal veterinarian in the region? There seemed to be a lot of new housing construction - would you describe the area as vibrant and growing? What is the underlying reason for the pet limitation in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,906,122 times
I think Kanab is too small to have anything social or economic. It's a conundrum!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,135 times
You may want to look into the recent news reports re: Kanab and its adoption of the "Natural Family Resolution." It hardly seems to be a friendly, inclusive kind of place. http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3478210

Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,684 times
clufster,
You may want to explore & consider the Chino Valley, AZ area; it is also growing & appears to have quite a promising future. It is rural, with a definite ag feeling & appearance (think tractors & horse trailers). Mild climate, rolling hills along with pasture lands, has some pretty impressive mountains. It's conservative but not reactionary; the people seem very friendly, open, & helpful; it is not an exclusive/cliqueish community. Socio-economic indicators all look positive and it has a low crime rate. It's close enough to the conveniences of Prescott (about 15 mi) but "feels" worlds away; is about 2 hrs from Phoenix on freeway. From what I've seen so far, there is a need for small animal DVMs there, and if the town grows as projected, that need will only increase. Kanab does have Best Friends, but that's about it.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:05 AM

14 posts, read 85,012 times
Kanab is probably still too small for what you are looking for. They are pretty conservative too.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I read that article,crazy people,I would definately steer clear of there..almost cult like or a stepford community..eerie

Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 PM

14 posts, read 85,012 times
It's a little blown out of proportion though too. I believe on guy on the town council pushed it through. Many people in the community were not happy with it, and have tried to counter the negative PR. But it is a rural Utah town, and you will have a rather conservative group.

HOWEVER, people need to realize that Utah has all kinds of people living here, even in places like Kanab, and if you want to be non-LDS you will be fine. People make it out to be a big deal, but most people keep to themselves and are just fine, LDS or not. If you are one of those people who has to be involved, you may not like the LDS prevaling culture though. No offense to anyone, but I think Utah is a TON more open culturally than the deep south. Sure the LDS religion is everyere in Utah, but they are not nearly as stifling as the south. Since the 90's, Utah is a pretty progressive and growing place. Non LDS people will be fine.

Still, Kanab is probably not where most people want to live. If you like isolation, it's nice though.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,731 times
Exclamation kanab & natural family

Hi all,

Kanab is a great place to live and visit. The natural family debocle is a shame. It was passed through city council without so much as a single vote by the people of Kanab. It has put a well diserved black eye on our comunity and divided the town, not evenly either. Most people here understand the idiocy of the town councils bullying this thing through and have tried to do somthing about it. It appears we will have to wait until the next city election to effectively change and revoke this tradjedy and abuse of power.
The "people" of Kanab are far from bigots and it is a great place to be. Those responsable for "our shame" will be gone and in the eyes of others, Kanab will be the same great place it has been and continues to be once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah