Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,168 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My daughter lives in South Salt Lake and will never come back here to South Florida so we will have to move there. I am 68 and my husband is 70. We are in good health and looking to move in the next year or so. Can anyone suggest a 55 and over townhouse or condo community near my daughter. Just want to mention that we are not rich but can afford about $200K-$250K. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Claudia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,104,199 times
I applaud your leaving Florida, but moving to SLC? Egads.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Yeah I know. Have no choice. The kid is there and never coming back.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:19 PM

272 posts, read 271,109 times
South Salt Lake is kind of a crappy area, so maybe if you give it a little bit of time, your kiddo will change her mind and move back to Florida.

But if you must leave, then $250k is not going to get much in Salt Lake.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:04 AM

She will never leave. She loves the area where she lives and the mountains. I have no choice but to go to her or stay here which is not an option. I was hoping I could score something where the old people live.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
To CRBEATLES1:
I hope you were not looking for negative answers ...

Utah is not bad at all for senior citizens. Plenty of good areas to choose from and it does not have to be South Salt Lake. Just because some perpetual nay-sayer says so, does not it make it true.

Come on vacation here, stay with your daughter, look around and decide where you would like to 'settle'.
Take into account where she lives and how would you get to her. The public transportation is not half bad if you use it right. I live 8 minutes from a bus stop which gets me to a TRAX station and from there to anywhere I need to go ... (I still drive so I seldom use it but it is there if needed!

Healthwise OK for treatment, but a bit on the iffy side when it comes to breathing the air at certain times ... Oh, well, nowhere I have seen perfection yet, and even naysayers stay here for a hell of a long time ...I wonder what is wrong with them?

Instead of using 200-250K for a house, set a monthly payment limit and go from there.
At your age, is it worth it to buy?
I live on a 3/4 acre plot and pay less than 1000 a month for a 2500+ sqft home.
Do you mind HOA rules? Single small home or condo type? What does your daughter say about where to settle?
If you are willing to live in a basement apartment (One bedroom, large living/eating/kitchen area), I know of places that are in a super area, and you could live there for 1000 a month (all included)

Anyway, do not let anything stop you. Being close to your daughter will be worth it.
Our kids all live within a 20-minute drive from we are. The best thing in the world to have all the grandkids near us!
You will be fine! Welcome to Utah!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM

Thank you for your positive response Irman. I have been to Salt Lake quite a number of times visiting my daughter. She thinks I should move to Murray, South Jordan or somewhere outside the city. I don't want to be too far from her. I think I would like to live where you live LOL. We are thinking of buying for tax reasons but my husband is past wanting to take care of a house with all the problems that go along with that. We have that here. That's why were were thinking condo. HOA rules don't bother us. We are used to the 'Condo Commandos" which is what we call them here in Fl. I'd rather not live in a basement as Kerry (my daughter) did that for a couple of years. Not my style. I wanna be above ground. LOL I just want to be close to my kid. It's all that matters to me in the world. Thanks again for your kind and helpful words. Thats what I was looking for with this post.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
crbeatles1, I agree that Murray or South Jordan would both be good choices. When I first read that your budget was $200K to $250K, I thought there would be no way that you could find something at that price. I guess I kind of glossed over the fact that you were looking for a condo community. For several years, quite a number of years ago, my husband and I lived in a condo at Old Farm in Murray. The condos there are of several different models, all of varying prices. I don't know what kind of a turnover there is there these days, but we absolutely LOVED living there. The ONLY reason we moved was that it was not at all a child-friendly place. If I were going to move to a condo anywhere in this area, I'd head back there in a minute.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,691 times
Maybe look into these homes? They seem pretty close to your price range and not too far from your daughter and grandkids. Albeit, some of West Valley isn’t terrific, some areas are pretty nice!

https://www.55places.com/utah/commun...-bingham-point

Old 02-23-2020, 07:03 PM

6 posts, read 6,963 times
Claudia

understand the desire to be near your daughter. if you don't mind a small space. keep an eye out

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...12752514_zpid/

i lived in this area for 8 years and felt it was reasonably safe.
Couple of cops live around in those condos as well. Choose the ground floor obviously
Nice walking spaces right by the river as well

a very nice area but you have to be good with 1 bed

https://www.redfin.com/UT/Holladay/2.../home/91803361
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: