Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 12:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Nobody is saying it's not dangerous nor is anybody implying that it's not to be taken seriously. Different states can choose to handle the situation differently and we're seeing much different result across the country.

To date Colorado has 4565 cases and 126 deaths while Utah has 1428 cases 8 deaths.... Co has 5.7M people and 3.2M people live in Ut. We may want to investigate why the infection rate is 3.2x in CO and death rate is 16x.

Both of our states typically rank top 5-10 in the nation on healthiest state yet we are seeing much different outcomes to date. We'll see what the data shows in 1-2 months but so far we are fairing well.

My hypothesis is due to a much lower rate of smoking, vaping, and weed smoke compared with our neighbors.
All opinions aren't equal. Dr. Anthony Fauci recommends a shelter in place order. I don't care whether Gary Herbert feels otherwise. Fauci is the expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 01:55 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't want to get too far into politics here.

However, I do think conservative people tend to be reluctant to use government power. Unfortunately, in this case it may result in some deaths.

I, too, wish Herbert would issue an order.
Just to piggyback on the bolded, even some liberal Bernie Sanders supporters like author/journalist Naomi Wolf understand the danger in using government power. As she said here starting at 6:40:

"While I don't believe governments created the epidemic, absolutely governments exploit epidemics. That is their favorite thing to do. Because, as Winston Churchill said 'Never waste a good crisis'....What the danger is, is that around the world, the coronavirus will be the excuse for governments to strip people of civil liberties, and to quarantine people, to make it difficult for people to travel, to, for instance, suspend elections--and other forms of stripping people of rights in the name of protecting them".

She later went on to talk about the state of New York declaring a state of emergency. She clarified that it may well be medically justified.

However, she also stated "I really want to warn people a state of emergency also has legal consequences. When you declare a state of emergency, you get to basically not follow the Constitution. It really lets you suspend the Constitution. So we really need to watch that, because a state of emergency means, for instance, that the governor doesn't have to follow the 4th Amendment if he wants to search people or he doesn't have to follow the constitutional guidelines about due process if he wants to quarantine people without charge or trial.....

....Whenever a state of emergency is declared, there's a reason they do it. They do it so they can do sh*t they can't do under a normal, functioning civil society...maybe just for good medical reasons, but it's often an excuse to do other things as well".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cNfpyGdBo

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-05-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
I'm confused. Tonight on NBC National News, they showed a map showing just seven states that do not have a "Stay at Home" order in place. Utah was not one of them. Anybody know what's up with that?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The entire country is confused right now but unfortunately there is no clear leadership from DC.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Very risky. Stupidity in my opinion. Shut it down Utah!!

Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Very risky. Stupidity in my opinion. Shut it down Utah!!
In the recent Economist magazine, it was reported that 11 states haven't shut down yet. Uniformity is needed but that's doubtful that will ever happen, when you have the FL and TX Governor's approving church attendance.

The alternative to shutting down is to rigidly enforce protection gear wherever you go, and I think that's what's coming nationwide, to help get the economy moving again.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In the recent Economist magazine, it was reported that 11 states haven't shut down yet. Uniformity is needed but that's doubtful that will ever happen, when you have the FL and TX Governor's approving church attendance.

The alternative to shutting down is to rigidly enforce protection gear wherever you go, and I think that's what's coming nationwide, to help get the economy moving again.
It won't work. There is benefit from wearing face masks, but the benefit primarily comes when people who are infected wear masks. I was at the store yesterday. No one...I repeat no one...was wearing a mask.

There is an alternative to social distancing. That alternative is massive testing of the population to find those with coronavirus and to put those who test positive into quarantine. However, unlike countries like South Korea we don't have that capability right now. We may have it in a month or two, but right now it is beyond us.

I am really disappointed in Gary Herbert right now. I am regretting my vote for him.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:00 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
In another forum Wyoming says they have been practicing keep your distance for 130 years.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:43 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Now that is funny. We need more humor today.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-07-2020 at 01:03 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 12:02 PM

246 posts, read 320,380 times
My opinion: it’s the same reason everyone tries to drive to work in 2-feet of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah