Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Utah: retirement home, diversity, discrimination, traffic.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 AM

118 posts, read 372,619 times

Advertisements

It is so hard to find the right state for you and your family including the dogs. Living in NJ for awhile now but next year is time to say good bye to NJ. Never thought that is would be so hard to find a state(born and raised in Germany) looking into NC, Arizona and maybe Utah. I don't want snow or cold all year long like the sunshine too, my 3 grandchildren ages 8.5,2 are bi-racial so how hard would it be for them to get accepted? Will my 3 grandchildren are the only black (mixed) people in the state of Utah? Maybe beside 30 or 40 in throughout the state, right? I know Utah is a great place to raise a family but is need to be the right choice .
Please can someone inhere enlighting me about the living in Utah. I been told that St.George would be a great place I am clueless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 AM

105 posts, read 157,544 times
Although I have never lived in Utah, we visited the area a few years ago and were blown away buy how clean and well organized the overall SLC area is!! I honestly don't know why the area isn't listed as one of the best metro areas to live in the country. Job well done, to the city manager and the citizens for creating such a warm, friendly, and clean enviroment!!! I know I only was in the areas that have high foot traffic and eye appeal, but the whole ride in was breathtaking and almost picture perfect. I have never driven into a metro area and been this blown away!! I hope the sun wasn't hitting the Salt Lake Valley a certain way, and that is what it is like everyday for you people. If so, I can quickly see why the prominent church settled down there.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
I know of no reason why Utah wouldn't be fine for you and your family. There are issues and challenges wherever one might move.

I have lived in NJ. I miss the four seasons and the beautiful areas of southern NJ, but I don't miss the mostly busy lifestyle. You also mentioned NC; I have lived there, also. It's a beautiful state, but I hated the humidity. I always felt like I was under a wet and oily wool blanket. I don’t see any problem with Arizona, other than the heat in some areas.

My wife and I have chosen Utah for our retirement home, and as I have stated before, we are unconcerned about fitting in or what others think of us; we have each other and that’s sufficient if necessary.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
I know nothing of NJ, but I have lived 24 of my 29 years here in Utah. I grew up in a 3 religion family, my mother being LDS from Utah and father from NY. I went to school in Cache Valley (northern UT) and indeed there were less then 1% black. There were a substantial and increasing number of hispanic though and a fair amount of asian families in the area.

I feel that Utah is a wonderful place to grow up and would definately raise my children here when the time comes. However, like anywhere, Utah is far from perfect. I have felt for the majority of my life that there is indeed a certain amount of what others call the bubble effect when it comes to the LDS religion. Utah was the prominent founding place for the LDS faith and whenever the majority is taught the same belief structures, a certain amount of bias will result. I've noticed in the workforce enviroment (production) there seems to be a large amount of immgrants settling in Utah. In the last five years I've noticed that bubble start to shift. I think that your children will find that the social enviroment is now in what I would call a learning mode. The diversity and technological advancements have opened more and more of peoples minds to new cultures and ideas. However, I don't think that they've lost that family oriented support structure that the LDS faith has blossomed on.

With all the new changes, I think Utah is going to be better then ever. We have a whole generation of people eager to learn about the world, with good morals and support structures in place, and a constant influx of new ideas. Crime is still quite low, although with new people come new criminals. As the recent shooting in SLC can attest too.

I have lived in AZ, OR, and UT. I also have immediate family in WA and ID. With what I've seen and judging by your first impressions, I think you would be quite happy here.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 71,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggi1 View Post
It is so hard to find the right state for you and your family including the dogs. Living in NJ for awhile now but next year is time to say good bye to NJ. Never thought that is would be so hard to find a state(born and raised in Germany) looking into NC, Arizona and maybe Utah. I don't want snow or cold all year long like the sunshine too, my 3 grandchildren ages 8.5,2 are bi-racial so how hard would it be for them to get accepted? Will my 3 grandchildren are the only black (mixed) people in the state of Utah? Maybe beside 30 or 40 in throughout the state, right? I know Utah is a great place to raise a family but is need to be the right choice .
Please can someone inhere enlighting me about the living in Utah. I been told that St.George would be a great place I am clueless
I am a SLC native, born and raised in Utah for 27 years. I am non-mormon and couldn't wait to get the hell out of that place as soon as I could! I moved straight to Germany (Kaiserslautern & Frankfurt) for about 5 years and then to Arizona, Geogia, Kentucky & now Washington, D.C.

What I can tell you is that I now realize Utah is a very nice place to live. It is indeed a beautiful state and is extremely clean. There is every kind of geographical region there from gorgeous mountains, lakes and rivers, farms to urban/city life, to dry arid deserts with views that will take your breath away.

Utah is one of THE MOST children-friendly states you are ever likely to find. The entire state is based and geared on children and families. In this way, it is a very wonderful place to raise kids. There are many activities, clubs, organizations for them to join and they should have a good time if you chose to get them involved.

I am mixed race, half Asian, half white. I was very aware that Utah is a very white state--but Salt Lake City is the most mixed part of the state. If you are thinking of moving there I would Not move anywhere else than the Salt Lake Valley, which includes many areas from North Salt Lake to East Sandy, Holliday to West Valley City. While Utah is a very white state, it is surprisingly not very bigotted against skin color and again, you will encounter the least amount of prejudice in the most mixed part of the state.

Living there is very easy. Traffic is light compared to somewhere like New Jersey because it is not that big or that congested. Getting around is very easy. Jobs are plentiful and the people are very nice. People are very friendly there; more than anywhere else that I have ever lived. The cost of housing has been steadily rising to match other inflated parts of the country, so make sure that you can afford to live there.

As to St. George, well is is a rapidly growing place but it is an isolated part of the state that was originally developed for retirees, older people who wanted to be able to golf year-round. It has a reputation for being older and snobbier, for what that is worth, and it will definitely be far less mixed with minorities...

Viel Gluck!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 17,375 times
Default Check out the Mt. Green Thread

I just posted info re:Mt. Green you can read. My mom and grandparents are from Austria and Mt. Green is my grandmother's favorite place in Utah. She says it reminds her of "home".

Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 AM

14 posts, read 48,489 times
You cannot go wrong in St. George. The summers are hot, but the rest of the year is wonderful. Cedar City is a half hour drive away, smaller but a great place to live too.
Don't even give a second thought to worrying about your grandchildren. If they are well behaved, they will be well received. Utahns are probably more welcoming of mixed backgrounds than any other state, mainly because of their vast missionary work.
St. George has alot to offer with regard to great schools, great outdoor activities, and of course, numerous churches to choose from if you're so inclined. THey have Tuacahn Amphitheatre (which is just AWEsome), and there is so much natural beauty it will make your head spin. Mind you, there are not alot of SHADY spots, being high desert, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I moved there from San Francisco, and although it took some getting used to, I really do like it. I've lived in lots of places, but now that I have a 7yr old, St. George is it for us. Safe, clean, and family oriented. Good luck!!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:02 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
We live in Utah, permenantly, after living in 6 other states. And Utah is the least diverse. However, there are areas with alot of diversity (if you go to Liberty Park in SLC there are fewer white kids than all sorts of ethnicities). And more importantly, there is little of the close-mindedness that comes in many areas without diversity. I think it has alot to do with so many people having gone on missions to other countries and really connecting with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah