Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times

Advertisements

There are several fine dining restaurants up the Ogden way..try the ski resorts even. There are two off the top of my head, the Timber Mine and the Prairie Schooner restaurants.

Ogden Guide to Events, Dining, Hotels, and Area Information
That website might help a little.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,364 times
thank you!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM

70 posts, read 187,093 times
osugirl2
I moved here from Kansas eight months ago, the culture shock was tremendous, it is nothing like living in the midwest but that is not a bad thing, just different. My husband is ANG and even though we live in Utah County I drive to Hill once a month and go to the Commissary. It is an hour and a half drive to and from, but well worth it...the cost of living is much higher here than in the midwest groceries are very pricey, driving there is always fun because it is like re-entering civilization (what I am used to anyways). Do you have a sponsor at Hill? If not you should be able to request one through family services they should be able to get you one, and I would call ahead to your unit to get some personal perspective...also when you are looking at neighborhoods you can google churches in that neighborhood and just find one that has some diversity with good representation for different relgions and you should be ok. Utah is absolutely beautiful and there is so much to do here, Hill has a great selection of outdoor equipment at outdoor rec and they get some really good deals through tickets and tours, you will have a wonderful time here just make sure you get into a decent neighborhood, I would definately check out Layton. Have you checked to see if Hill has a decent Child Care Center?
Cycle

Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
and thank you for the welcome! I have to say I"m a bit nervous. I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and I've never lived anywhere but here. Being my first move, I have no idea what to expect, plus SO and I will be consolidating households for the first time as well, so it should prove to be interesting....lol That said, I'm really excited at the same time, and I'm looking forward to becoming a good enough skier to not slide down the mountain (that's what happened the first and only time I went skiing as a teenager)
I was an Air Force brat, so relocating often growing up was commonplace! Utah has tons of great things to do and see. I am not a skier though. 14 years here and never once set foot on the slopes. Moving to Utah can be an experience. There is culture shock, no doubt about it. Keep an open mind and you will be fine. As Cycle has documented above, finding the right neighborhood can be crucial for some. Have you thought about renting for a bit or are you looking to buy?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I would say Layton would be a good idea, but I have heard that the further east you go in Layton, it can be a bit cliquey. I don't know though. My brother lived in Layton for a few years and he didn't experience that and loved living there. He did live in West Layton though. Clearfield is also a thought. Anyplace right around the base has a bit more diversity. I wouldn't worry about your son being an outcast. Military kids are usually very open and accepting, and if he is, others will be too.
Could I ask what your SO does?

Welcome to Utah!
Totally agree with you kaytidid. I lived in East Layton for 14 years and then Layton by HAFB for 2 years. I saw the "clicky" thing somewhat in east Layton. I honestly think it has to do with East Layton maybe being a little more affluent.
I also lived in Clearfield for 11 years and loved it there.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
If Ogden is your choice....go to South Ogden or very North Ogden. I really didn't care for the central part of Ogden. Just my opinion of course. There is something to be said about Location, location, location. Layton is a nice bedroom community with everything that you need close by.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I was an Air Force brat, so relocating often growing up was commonplace! Utah has tons of great things to do and see. I am not a skier though. 14 years here and never once set foot on the slopes. Moving to Utah can be an experience. There is culture shock, no doubt about it. Keep an open mind and you will be fine. As Cycle has documented above, finding the right neighborhood can be crucial for some. Have you thought about renting for a bit or are you looking to buy?
I'm not quite sure what we're going to do yet. I own a house here in Oklahoma which I will probably keep and rent out. I'm a civilian employee so I'll be making decent money, but unless my SO has a job before we get there we would probably only be able to use my income to qualify for a mortgage which could make it tricky. I hold a real estate license here in OKC, so I'm all about the benefits of home ownership, but since I have no clue what I'm getting into and since it seems that the right area is key there, I'm leaning towards renting for awhile before I buy. I did look at Real Estate in Layton and noticed it was very reasonably priced and that the price per square foot was similar to where I'm from.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Totally agree with you kaytidid. I lived in East Layton for 14 years and then Layton by HAFB for 2 years. I saw the "clicky" thing somewhat in east Layton. I honestly think it has to do with East Layton maybe being a little more affluent.
I also lived in Clearfield for 11 years and loved it there.
I haven't made it far enough to check out Clearfield yet, but that is something I will do tonight!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Growing Season

Also,

what is the growing season like around there? Are there enough warm months to grow a garden of any kind? I'm kind of a foodie, so I like to grow some of my herbs and veggies that I cook with frequently :

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
osugirl2
I moved here from Kansas eight months ago, the culture shock was tremendous, it is nothing like living in the midwest but that is not a bad thing, just different. My husband is ANG and even though we live in Utah County I drive to Hill once a month and go to the Commissary. It is an hour and a half drive to and from, but well worth it...the cost of living is much higher here than in the midwest groceries are very pricey, driving there is always fun because it is like re-entering civilization (what I am used to anyways). Do you have a sponsor at Hill? If not you should be able to request one through family services they should be able to get you one, and I would call ahead to your unit to get some personal perspective...also when you are looking at neighborhoods you can google churches in that neighborhood and just find one that has some diversity with good representation for different relgions and you should be ok. Utah is absolutely beautiful and there is so much to do here, Hill has a great selection of outdoor equipment at outdoor rec and they get some really good deals through tickets and tours, you will have a wonderful time here just make sure you get into a decent neighborhood, I would definately check out Layton. Have you checked to see if Hill has a decent Child Care Center?
Cycle
I haven't checked out child care yet, although most bases do have a child care center (big waiting list here in OKC). My new office chief is trying to get me info on the base right now. Do you happen to know what daycare rates run around Ogden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah