Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 39,804 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm kinda new at this so bear with me. I've been reading some of the posts on the site, and they are very helpful not to mention very fun to read. So thank you for replying!

Okay, now on to my query:

I am a 24 years old and from Florida. I have taught here for one year, but was laid off due to budget cuts. It seems the whole state is in a hiring freeze right now, and I have wanted to leave this state for the West for some time. I am considering a move to Utah: either Salt Lake City, Provo, or Park City area and want to teach there.

I am culturally Jewish but spiritually agnostic and have no problem with LDS but do not want to be confronted about my lack of being LDS and confronted to convert.

So my questions after this long post are: 1) What are the job prospects right now for teachers in the state- which areas are good if any, or is it like the rest of the country with budget cuts and hiring freezes? 2) I have read that some schools in Utah allow seminary time. I don't know if this is true of places like SLC and Provo, but would it be hard for someone who is non-LDS to be hired for teaching jobs? If not, would I be uncomfortable teaching there?

Anyways, thanks!!!

Last edited by azbel; 04-28-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,535 times
First off, no one's going to confront you for not being LDS. It just doesn't happen and that's the last thing you need to worry about.

Second, this religious service time you're referring to is called "seminary," and it's offered to high-school aged Mormons at most (if not all) high schools in the state. It's a separate period and is taught in an adjacent LDS chapel by a Church teacher. None of this religious instruction enters the school itself, so you don't have to worry about it.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:45 PM

49 posts, read 131,628 times
asbel - I'd check into the private school system. You might find a place there. Rowland Hall/St. Marks, Waterford, and the Catholic "complex" (nursery school through high school) at the southern end of the valley.

Additionally - you mention you are culturally Jewish. I do believe the JCC is starting it's own school (if they haven't already). The JCC is located just north of the University of Utah. You might want to use them as a resource.

Also - the humongous Jordan School District recently split. The Canyons School District might be hiring.

Good Luck - we desperately NEED good teachers.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,491 times
First of all, don't worry about religion being an issue. Being a student currently and having gone through all my schooling here, I can honestly say that this profession doesn't follow the rest in Utah. From my experience, about 50% of the teachers weren't LDS vs. around 90% of the student population being LDS (which is more than in most parts of the valley, there'll be more non-LDS students elsewhere). Unfortunately, because of the extremely high amount of youth in this state, not as much money is spent on education per student than in any other state (they spend plenty of money, they'd just have to spend a lot more to meet the ratio in other states), despite the lack of spending students do pretty well. However, lots of school districts are still having to make cuts to work out their budgets so it's not a great market for a new teacher. Granite, for instance, is shortening the year by a week and making classes a bit bigger so it can get rid of some teachers. The largest class I've ever had was 45, in Jr. High (where the smallest was 32), in high school my classes averaged around 32, and in grade school around 20 (where the largest was 32).

My sister and brother-in-law are both high school teachers who just finished their student teaching. They're both looking for jobs but, honestly, they're willing to move out of state to get one.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
I doubt many school districts are hiring here right now, but I could be wrong. I don't see any problem with you fitting in here as a single person. You won't be bothered or harrassed about religion. That's an unfortunate myth. I would suggest if you move here that you just find your own circle of friends. If you find a niche, you'll like Utah. I'd suggest you look for a district around Salt Lake.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,823 times
commenting on the 'confronted to convert' issue.

i wouldn't expect a confrontation. no one is going to hold an intervention in order to try to get you to convert.

what i would expect is a bunch of curious neighbors who ask a lot of questions. some of them will blunder into sensitive areas (like religion and politics) because they are used to those areas not being sensitive. most will be more tactful though, and will wait till they get to know you better before playing 20 questions.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
[quote=azbel;8558859]Hello! I'm kinda new at this so bear with me. I've been reading some of the posts on the site, and they are very helpful not to mention very fun to read. So thank you for replying!

I hope you're not planning to teach classes conducted in English.

/quote]

=

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,725 times
[quote=Happy in Wyoming;8628017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbel View Post
Hello! I'm kinda new at this so bear with me. I've been reading some of the posts on the site, and they are very helpful not to mention very fun to read. So thank you for replying!

I hope you're not planning to teach classes conducted in English.

/quote]

=
I don't think that was necessary or helpful in any way. Do you mean to tell me you write and speak in proper English all the time? Most people do not, especially on a forum.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:11 AM

10 posts, read 34,268 times
Utah spends less $'s per pupil than Mississippi! What does that tell you? Big mormon families want quality education, but are not willing to spend money to fund it because they have to feed & cloth their huge families. Why do you think property taxes are so low in Utah, they can't put their $ where their mouths are because their too busy procreating then worryig about how to support their families.

Its pathetic, lol.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,823 times
cricket, cricket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah