Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:49 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbel View Post
I am a 24 years old and from Florida. I have taught here for one year, but was laid off due to budget cuts. It seems the whole state is in a hiring freeze right now, and I have wanted to leave this state for the West for some time. I am considering a move to Utah: either Salt Lake City, Provo, or Park City area and want to teach there.
My sister, born and raised LDS but definitely not LDS any more (was agnostic leaning towards atheism for at least 30 years until she finally decided she believed in God last year) taught in the Park City school district for about 25 years, and will be retiring at the end of this school year. She lived in Salt Lake all those years and commuted every day to Park City. She absolutely loved teaching there and definitely did not run into religious prejudice (otherwise, I can guarantee she wouldn't have loved it).

I'd try for Park City first, Salt Lake City next, and Provo last. You probably wouldn't be all that happy in Provo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,261 times
Default Park City Schools

Hi, This is my first post so please bear with me. I can't say enough good things about the Park City community and our school system. I don't know if they are hiring but it would be worth a call. I have lived here 23 years and raised 3 kids. It is a very eclectic community. I don't know about the rest of Utah but friendly people of all backgrounds seem welcome here. Rob

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozimek View Post
Utah spends less $'s per pupil than Mississippi! What does that tell you? Big mormon families want quality education, but are not willing to spend money to fund it because they have to feed & cloth their huge families. Why do you think property taxes are so low in Utah, they can't put their $ where their mouths are because their too busy procreating then worryig about how to support their families.

Its pathetic, lol.
What I think is pathetic is that the extra money spent on students in other states that shows such lack of results. UT has traditionally one of the highest graduation rates of any state....yet they aren't spending gobs of money per student to accomplish that goal.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Utah spends less $'s per pupil than Mississippi! What does that tell you? Big mormon families want quality education, but are not willing to spend money to fund it because they have to feed & cloth their huge families. Why do you think property taxes are so low in Utah, they can't put their $ where their mouths are because their too busy procreating then worryig about how to support their families.

Its pathetic, lol.
.................................................. ..................................................

Its true that Utah spends less per pupil to educate its students than virtually any other state does. I won't argue the point that this has to do with large family size either. I think that's largely correct.

There is another side to this story though. That side is that despite the low per pupil expenditures, Utah students consistently rank a little bit above average among the 50 states when it comes to scores on nationwide, standardized tests.

In other words, the taxpayers in Utah get a huge "bang for a buck" when it comes to expenditures for public education. I think its worth talking about why that maybe the case because it all relates to why people may want to live here. First, families here are generally committed to education and work to see that their children achieve in school. As an example, the turn-out at parent teacher conferences is ordinarily very high in most schools. Second, there are few distractions here to doing well in school. We have low crime rates and very little ethnic tension between different groups. Third, its my observation that our teachers and administrators are very dedicated to their jobs. They take the low budgets they are given and work wonders with them.

I think many of us hope for the day when we do fund education adequately. Class sizes are higher than they should be. And, the children could use bigger and better facilities than exist in many places. And, yes, the taxpayers may have to wake up and cough up some additional money to make this all happen.

However, nothing is accomplished by the kind of cynical, self-righteous, type of "put down" that Jozimek makes here. Instead, what is needed are people with constructive ideas and solutions.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 PM

239 posts, read 952,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Its pathetic, lol.
.................................................. ..................................................

Its true that Utah spends less per pupil to educate its students than virtually any other state does. I won't argue the point that this has to do with large family size either. I think that's largely correct.

There is another side to this story though. That side is that despite the low per pupil expenditures, Utah students consistently rank a little bit above average among the 50 states when it comes to scores on nationwide, standardized tests.

In other words, the taxpayers in Utah get a huge "bang for a buck" when it comes to expenditures for public education. I think its worth talking about why that maybe the case because it all relates to why people may want to live here. First, families here are generally committed to education and work to see that their children achieve in school. As an example, the turn-out at parent teacher conferences is ordinarily very high in most schools. Second, there are few distractions here to doing well in school. We have low crime rates and very little ethnic tension between different groups. Third, its my observation that our teachers and administrators are very dedicated to their jobs. They take the low budgets they are given and work wonders with them.

I think many of us hope for the day when we do fund education adequately. Class sizes are higher than they should be. And, the children could use bigger and better facilities than exist in many places. And, yes, the taxpayers may have to wake up and cough up some additional money to make this all happen.

However, nothing is accomplished by the kind of cynical, self-righteous, type of "put down" that Jozimek makes here. Instead, what is needed are people with constructive ideas and solutions.
Probably one of the best posts ever!
I have worked in a Utah school district for 12 years and agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah