Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 AM

617 posts, read 2,823,880 times

Advertisements

I have said it before, and I will say it again. The fast lane is for drivers who want to go slightly faster. The slow lane is for slower drivers. The middle lane is for passing. If everyone would stick to this basic rule, then traffic would be so much smoother!!!

I too hate it when people speed up and pass me dangerously, just for the sake of getting somewhere a few minutes earlier. OR.. when I see someone do a dangerous manuever just to be first at a red light, then I end up catching up to them later, and they are no further ahead of me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 AM

101 posts, read 470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
I have said it before, and I will say it again. The fast lane is for drivers who want to go slightly faster. The slow lane is for slower drivers. The middle lane is for passing. If everyone would stick to this basic rule, then traffic would be so much smoother!!!

Unfortunately the guy doing 70 in the "fast"(55mph) Lane thinks he's going fast.
While you doing 80 in the same "fast"(55mph) lane think your going fast too.

Time for people to start taking ownership of their actions and stop blaming others.

Lane designation
H.O.V/Passing/Travel/Slow

HOV- High Occupancy 2+, or Permit(still governed by the posted limit)
Passing-(still governed by the posted limit)
Travel-, for those not getting off anytime soon(still governed by the posted limit)
Slow- for those getting ready to get on or off, or otherwise slower than the posted limit(big trucks, ol ladies, etc)

Calibelle, if you did the speed limit this wouldn't be an issue would it?
Now who is at fault?

Speeding is not the issue, its irractic drivers. Vote for Driver Re-education stiffer fines for being bad drivers.
Go back to Cali if you want gridlock.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:25 PM

421 posts, read 1,742,857 times
Thanks phazed-coug, I was getting confused. I'd never heard that the middle lane was for passing. in fact, that would mean passing the fast lane on the right which is definitely frowned on. The "fast lane" (left lane) is for passing, always has been. I agree with your lane designations.

Of course, the HOV lane doesn't count anymore since they made it impossible to get in or out of it by restriping it. I avoid it as much as possible, since it used to be very useful, but is now just another nightmare to negotiate in the SLC traffic.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM

34 posts, read 132,930 times
Thank goodness Utah passed the move over law which requires people to stay out of the left lane unless they're passing someone, I saw the announcement on Fox 13, I was amazed because they asked the head of Highway Patrol "what if the person wanting to pass is breaking the speed limit" to which he replied the person not moving out of the way will still get the ticket instead of the speeder because it's less dangerous for people to go eighty in the fast lane and stay there, than for them to shoot across 4 lanes to the right to pass the idiot going 60 in the fast lane. IT"S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 AM

378 posts, read 1,907,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIorDIE View Post
Thank goodness Utah passed the move over law which requires people to stay out of the left lane unless they're passing someone, I saw the announcement on Fox 13, I was amazed because they asked the head of Highway Patrol "what if the person wanting to pass is breaking the speed limit" to which he replied the person not moving out of the way will still get the ticket instead of the speeder because it's less dangerous for people to go eighty in the fast lane and stay there, than for them to shoot across 4 lanes to the right to pass the idiot going 60 in the fast lane. IT"S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!!!
Oh yeah baby! Time to crank her back up to 100 mph again!

Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 23,947 times
it's funny I learned to not signal while living in california. If you need to get over and signal someone will fill the gap. if you get halfway into the lane then signal you can change lanes

Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,907,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Magoola View Post
it's funny I learned to not signal while living in california. If you need to get over and signal someone will fill the gap. if you get halfway into the lane then signal you can change lanes
Yeah I felt the same way about Boston....they just know you are coming and close the gap ASAP!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:37 AM

617 posts, read 2,823,880 times
Question When did I say I lived in Utah, and when did I say that I was a speeder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed-Coug View Post
Unfortunately the guy doing 70 in the "fast"(55mph) Lane thinks he's going fast.

Time for people to start taking ownership of their actions and stop blaming others.

Lane designation

Travel-, for those not getting off anytime soon(still governed by the posted limit)
Slow- for those getting ready to get on or off, or otherwise slower than the posted limit(big trucks, ol ladies, etc)

Now who is at fault?

Speeding is not the issue, its irractic drivers. Vote for Driver Re-education stiffer fines for being bad drivers.
Gosh was what I said offensive or something? Because I find this response to my statement a bit harsh. Go back to Cali if I want gridlock? That would be about a 12 hour trip on a plane!An assumtion was made that I live in Utah, but I don't! I live in England for the time being because of my husband's job, and the rule I mentioned, is the way that they drive here in England, and it works pretty well when followed. It does help to cut down on traffic, truly. I have seen it with my own eyes. If you are in the fast or slow lane here, and you are watching your rearview mirror (as you should be), and you notice someone who is driving faster than you coming up behind, then you move over into the middle lane, and let them pass. This cuts down on accidents, because it ensures that the driver who is coming up to the slower moving car, doesn't do a quick manuever into another lane to pass, and cause an accident.

Pehaps the second paragraph in my post was overlooked? I did state that I hate when someone makes a dangerous manuever around me, just for the sake of getting somewhere a few minutes earlier.

I agree, that dangerous drivers are an issue... but it is just as dangerous to have a slow driver driving below the speed limit in the left hand lane (or any lane for that matter), you know? So although it isn't written in stone that the left lane is the Fast lane, it is just kind of an unspoken rule everywhere you go.

I think this new law in Utah that SKIorDIE mentioned is great. It's very similar to the already exhisting law in England.

Another thing I would like to bring to light.... I never stated or implied in my post, that I was a speeder. Because truthfully, the metro I have back in America barely reaches 85 mph, and if I even get it up to that point, it sounds like the engine is going to explode. If I ever speed, I do 70, and it is only on the freeways, when I have been cruising for a while, and I look at my speedometer and notice my speed has creeped up a bit. I wouldn't exactly call that irratic speeding, as a cop wouldn't even bother to pull me over if he got me doing 5 mph over the limit on his radar. Around town, I never speed, because I worry about pedestrians. So I am not really sure why I am being repremanded here.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 AM

184 posts, read 902,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazed-Coug View Post

Lane designation

Now who is at fault?

SO IT'S YOU THEN!!!!! You're the one blocking the road obliviously daydreaming about a traffic law of 55mph speed limit set in the 1950's.... my gosh, please GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!

I'm generally not a rude person, but when I get behind a bunch of cruise-control loving, spacially challenged utahrdians I can't help but wonder why haven't I equipped my car with a James Bond style missile launcher...

Old 05-05-2007, 09:41 AM

101 posts, read 470,754 times
Don't misunderstand, I was playing devils advocate.

If you've read my posts, you'll see I'm not one to shy away from speed.

Being a professional driver(no not a big rig either) I've seen it all and have been required to hold myself to the highest standards.

My last post says, speed isn't really the issue in UTAH, its the completely casual attitude taken by drivers; some examples.

-Casually rolling through your red light when mine has turned green just so you can make your left,

-Doing 65 in a 45 just so you can get in front of me, and make the next turn?

-Yakking on the cell phone while your 8 kids in the back are throwing cheerios at each other, instead of watching the nice DVD player you installed
for them.

-Flinging open your car door in parking lot into my parked vehicle(I was sitting in my car when this one happened) and denting it.

-Random lane changes that generally get you nowhere.

-Tailgating so close I can read the VIN on your car.

-AND MANY MORE

If I come up on someone in the fast lane doing the speed limit, I cannot
fault them. Sure it'd be nice if they weren't there and I could continue
on at 80mph, but they aren't doing anything wrong.
But again speed isn't the issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah