Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM

55 posts, read 114,848 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

We would like to ask you a few wintersport facts, which we couldn't find on other websites.

We are a party of 4 guys (snowboarders) who wants to go snowboarding in march 2010.
We have some questions;
- is the snowconditions 'OK' in march?
- is the - by bus orso- a long way to travel to Salt lake city?
- anyone who can give us more (snowboard) information, many thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,
Rob (who's looking forward to board in Utah!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
March is one of the BEST times for skiing in UT. In my opinion, that is when some of the best snow conditions are here.

Are your plans flexible? Or do you really want to ski in the Park City resorts only? It is not a terribly long drive to Park City from downtown Salt Lake City. Are you going to be renting a car? Or do you plan on only using the bus system?

There is a pretty reliable bus system to get from SLC area hotels to the resorts in Little Conttonwood and Big Cottonwood Canyons for skiing at Solitude, Brighton, Alta or Snowbird?

Have you thought about Solitude, Brighton or Snowbird? All three offer outstanding terrain - but in and out of bounds. Snowbird is probably the most advanced terrain, and not so much geared towards beginners. Solitude is one of my favorite places.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM

325 posts, read 963,415 times
Yes, March is perfect.

Just remember that Snowboards are not permitted at ALTA or at Deer Valley.

So, you basically have 2 choices. Pick a hotel in downtown Salt Lake City that is close to the bus or rent a car.

Personally, I'd rent a condo in Sandy and a car and each day go to a different area:

Solitude and Brighton in the Big Cottonwood Canyon / Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon / Park City and The Canyons would all be a 20- 45 minute drive. Depending on the length of your stay, I'd also seriously consider driving an hour north and skiing Powder Mountain / Snowbasin.

So, that's 7 areas all within an hours drive.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Also, you might want to post the same question in the Salt Lake City sub-forum. You might get a few more responses there.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
I strongly second checking out Snowbasin and Powder Mountain as well. Its an hour north (maybe a little more)...but if you can go on a weekday you won't regret it!

Last edited by alexei27; 08-08-2009 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: can't type!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
Historically, March is the snowiest month. That said, we will now get no snow this March.
I agree that renting a car/suv would be in the best interest of your snosport goals.
The one great thing about staying up in PC is that if you all are planning on any restaurant/bar going, you can more than likely walk back to your condo or hop the free bus-don't want any DUI type things going on that will make your trip not so fun. I don't think that getting home in SLC is quite so easy-or cheap.
Check out Canyon Sports here in the valley for discount lift tickets for almost all Utah resorts.
Jans in Park City sold discount tickets for The Canyons and Snowbasin last season..

Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Yes, March is perfect.

Just remember that Snowboards are not permitted at ALTA or at Deer Valley.
Just curious, altajoe... Do you just ski at Alta or do you work there?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
Quote:
Historically, March is the snowiest month. That said, we will now get no snow this March.
LoL!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just curious, altajoe... Do you just ski at Alta or do you work there?
Just ski there, although their recent "upgrading" has me less that thrilled, so I find myself at Snowbasin and Powder Mountain more and more.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Talking Many Types of Housing Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton_Rob View Post
Hello forum,

We would like to ask you a few wintersport facts, which we couldn't find on other websites.

We are a party of 4 guys (snowboarders) who wants to go snowboarding in march 2010.
We have some questions;
- is the snowconditions 'OK' in march?
- is the - by bus orso- a long way to travel to Salt lake city?
- anyone who can give us more (snowboard) information, many thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,
Rob (who's looking forward to board in Utah!)
Hey Rob,

Loved you identifying yourself as "4 dutch guys." Given that info, along with your request to know more about snosports in March, I immediately thought of the Utah Olympics. I had the pleasure of meeting about "4 dutch guys - maybe 6, and (I can't remember) how many females who represented Holland in the Oval Skating Events. I have great pics as those I met were very friendly, willing to pose for someone in UT and did their best to win.

Fortunately, these disappointed Olympians had a great sense of humor and ejoyed people, as they didn't get too discouraged at their time at the event. They didn't qualify for further rounds.

So I hope you and your friends will bring the same great personalities and love of fun.

I think you've been given some excellent recommendations from earlier posts. I would strongly encourage you, if possible, to either stay closer to skiing (lots of different types of accomodations, doesn't have to be a hotel in downtown SLC). If $ is a concern, you may do better staying more in the Sandy area and either linking with public transporation via the Sandy routes, or if possible, rent your own SUV.

Since the Olympics, more hotels, B and B's and other rentals are available in the Park City/Heber area.

I wish you a wonderful time when you visit. You may consider a brief site seeing trip of the different Olympic venues, among other things, if you want something else to do. However, while most are close in Park City and downtown SLC, others are about an hour away. Still, if you want a change, it's something people sometimes forget UT has hosted and built

In honor of the fun athletes I met at the Olympics Skating Oval,
HAVE A FUN [/color]AND SAFE TIME!

Mtn. States RESIDENT (MSR)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah