Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 AM

137 posts, read 703,012 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask all those who moved to Utah from another state what you most like and dislike about living in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
I moved to Utah from Alberta 9 years ago. I love the diversity of Utah, I mean you can drive two hours north and be in beautiful forested woods, drive 30 min. and be at the top of the mountains, drive 4 hrs. south and be in beautiful red rock canyons! The heat in the summer is a lot to take but your body does acclimate and although I still am not lovin the hot hot afternoons the dry heat makes for gorgeous mornings and evenings. The winters are not hell-a cold like we have in Alberta. It's always kinda funny to hear people complain about it being like 32 degrees.
I love temple square and walking around the beautiful grounds. I am LDS so it is wonderful to have all these temples so close and also to have all this incredible free entertainment available on temple square with the mormon tabernacle choir. I have been lucky enough to go to the Christmas Concert three times and it is amazing! Seriously there is no where in the world you can get entertainment like that for free! If you haven't had the opportunity to go GO! (even if you're not LDS it's just first class entertainment) I do find it difficult to get used to the culture here and more so the "lds culture". It is just different and not always in a good way.
The fry sauce thing is definately different but I am gettin it and its actually quite good! When I was first here and ordered a side of gravy at KFC they looked at me like I was nuts!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM

137 posts, read 703,012 times
whats fry sauce?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Fry sauce is a mixture of mayonaise and ketchup. Its alot like thousand island salad dressing.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
It is just different and not always in a good way.
You can be sure of that !!!
But ...
As I have mentioned before, any situation comes in three phases.
1 - you abhor it
2 - you condone it
3 - you embrace it
Quote:
The fry sauce thing is definitely different but I am getting it and its actually quite good!
It is still a strange taste for me ... even after umpteen years ... !
Quote:
When I was first here and ordered a side of gravy at KFC they looked at me like I was nuts!
Haha that's funny, because a similar thing happened to us quite a few years back.

So in essence ..
I am here and I will probably die here ...
I love the area, so much open space (I am a hobby pilot and thus love the *uncontrolled* space we have here)
If you are lucky, you can find a place with enough yard,
so your neighbours are not 5 feet away from your bathroom window ....
I like the *less traffic jams* (compared to the Cali freeways).
I now like the *4 seasons*, rather than the two Cali ones like
green and brown ...
In the summer months, my place has a lot of green stuff growing,
feels like you are in the country ... (In the winter, it is scary looking ....)
In between ... umpteen colours ... (except when summer *leaves* you)
I like the *slower pace* of living (only if you choose to live that way),
I like the fact that I now know who my neighbours are.

What I do not like ??
There are quite a few things I do not like here .
but ... See my reasons above ..
I am in stage 1.5 !!!

LBNL, Utah can NEVER replace the beauty of Ventura County.
Like a poster mentioned above - it is different !
Just keep in mind the following:
You get used to everything ---
Even *Hanging* ...
and after the first 3 minutes
you will not complain any more

I can always visit Ventura County,
(Is living in the USA not awesome ???)
and that suffices for me.
I would never live in Cali anymore.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I love the wide open spaces of the state. We've got just about everything except the jungle and the beach to explore.
I also love the history of the state. There is 10,000 years of Native American history as well as a host of interesting characters from Spanish, trapper, mining and mormon backgrounds. The historic architecture here isn't old at all by world standards but it still is beautiful and fascinating to me.

I don't like the influx of people though. The population of the state has doubled in the last 15-20 years and it's all crammed into the Wasatch front. Most of the old farming areas from when I was a kid are now endless suburban sprawl and the Wasatch front has lost much of it's character in the process. It's kind of ironic, as I came back here from Cali for that very reason.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Fry sauce is a mixture of mayonaise and ketchup. Its alot like thousand island salad dressing.
*heh* but evidently there's more to it than just mayo and ketchup. We talked about it in this thread a few years ago and there has to be some "secret" ingredient ...paprika?, pickle juice?, barbecue sauce?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
*heh* but evidently there's more to it than just mayo and ketchup. We talked about it in this thread a few years ago and there has to be some "secret" ingredient ...paprika?, pickle juice?, barbecue sauce?
I tried several when I was out there, and no two taste the same. There were versions where you could definitely tast the BBQ sauce and others where it seemed to be ranch based instead of with Mayo. I bet there's upteen thousand ways to make it.....lol

Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM

427 posts, read 1,305,224 times
I really like the mountains and the seeming 'protection' they offer. You feel sort of like you're blocked off from the world inside the valleys. They also help tremendously with navigation, and of course the views, hiking, and winter sports associated with them aren't bad either. I also like the lack of natural disasters (though earthquakes can occur, but that's rare), the geographic position in the country (it feels like you're right in the middle), the way the state handles its finances and business (hence recessions never seem to hit as hard here), and the relative safety.

Dislikes: The suburban sprawl. The retail sprawl (Main and State streets in seemingly every city). The lack of downtown in SLC. The constant bickering between different groups - it feels like the state is divided at times and you can feel out of place as any group.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
If I could take the people from florida and put them in utah it would be great (not all people, just the family and good people haha)

utah is in my eyes, the perfect landscape. I love the weather, scenery and views there but im not a huge fan of how much the mormon church runs the state. I also think they have some of the worst, most stupid drivers in the country and there are too many kids there. I dont understand why they think that if your 22, not married with no kids that there is something wrong with you. The rest of the country I have been finds that to be the opposite. Enjoy being young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah