Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times

Advertisements

In the majority of topics about moving to Utah someone will say how Utah's spending per student is low. To me that isn't always a negative, spending on education can be done well for less.

The quality of the Public schools we looked at here as compared to California is night and day, somehow they are doing well with a lot less.

The NY Times did an article showing Utah was last in spending but they said nothing about quality of education.

Utah spends Utah 5,257 Per Student yet we are 29th in math and 28th in reading. New York spends 14,119 and they are 28th and 21st. California spends 8,067 and they are 44th and 48th.

How the money is spent is more important than how much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 PM

498 posts, read 1,456,233 times
Well said.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
I couldn't agree more with you that the way the money is spent is more important than the amount of money spent. I think the relative success of the schools in Utah is due to several factors:

1. High parental involvement in schools.
2. Lower racial and ethnic tensions than may exist in some other states.
3. A committment by teachers in this state to do the best they can with limited resources at their disposal.
4. A culture that supports education. "The Glory of God is Intelligence".
5. A less serious gang problem than in other major areas.
6. Lower use of drugs and alcohol by young people than in other places.

Now, what I really wish is that instead of taking the attitude that we should feel fortunate we have reasonably good schools despite the paucity of funding for education that we change our mindset. How about a mindset that instead says "let's fund our schools adequately and see just how high our standards can climb"? What a wonderful committment that would be to students, teachers, and our state.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the list, I had not thought of 4 or 6. I agree about proper funding but with the current economy I think we are going to need to think differently in order to fund schools properly. Hopefully this downturn will help to bring about radical change in the way we think about taxation and spending.

In the mean time, bring on the volunteers.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 17,832 times
Agreed. Those statistics are important only to those who measure "quality" by how much money you throw at a problem.

The UEA was constantly using that "spending per student" talking point in their constant efforts to increase education spending. The primary purpose of the UEA is to ensure the continued existence of the UEA.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Agreed. Those statistics are important only to those who measure "quality" by how much money you throw at a problem.

The UEA was constantly using that "spending per student" talking point in their constant efforts to increase education spending. The primary purpose of the UEA is to ensure the continued existence of the UEA.

.................................................. ...............................................

Even though I am not a teacher, I personally am grateful for the UEA and their advocacy for both education and adequate funding. Utah is a conservative state and without the UEA we wouldn't have a dialogue over public education.

While there is much more to quality education than money, no sane person would argue there is not a connection between the two either. You have to pay teacher salaries and you have to build school buildings. You have building maintenance, utilities, school supplies, books, and furniture.

The reality is we have never funded education in this state at the level we should have. The fact that our kids perform at an average level on standardized testing is a tribute to our teachers, parents, and the kids' themselves. They all did despite people like you.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
While there is much more to quality education than money, no sane person would argue there is not a connection between the two either. You have to pay teacher salaries and you have to build school buildings. You have building maintenance, utilities, school supplies, books, and furniture.

The reality is we have never funded education in this state at the level we should have. The fact that our kids perform at an average level on standardized testing is a tribute to our teachers, parents, and the kids' themselves. They all did despite people like you.
I don't anyone is saying there is NO connection, if we spend zero we would not have anything. The debate should not be how much per student but how much is spent on schools, teachers, supplies, etc. as opposed to administrators, their assistants, cars, union leaders etc.

I don't think that questioning union motives is a call to accuse someone of not helping kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah