Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM

40 posts, read 223,655 times

Advertisements

I'm being relocated to Ft Douglas from TX and was considering housing on Hill AFB. Does anyone know what the commute is like between these 2 locations? Heavy traffic? Also, I could use information on Hill AFB and the surrounding area if anyone has any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 04:35 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Extremely heavy traffic. I shudder to think about having that commute every day. Don't know the Hill area as much.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:14 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Default tough commute

To be honest...its a bit ugly. If you can leave Layton at 6am...you'll be ok and it will be a 30-40 min commute. Leave any later than 6:20 or 6:30...and its an hour easily. Same in the afternoon. The Problem is that I-15 is the only game in town. The Wasatch Front really is not set of for the amount of people who live here.

I live in Layton. Im a reserve Navy Officer...so I frequent the base often. If you have any specific questions about the base...fire away! Its got a lot of great amenities (one of the better Commissaries I have seen...and a nice new BX)

Old 05-20-2007, 01:07 PM

I appreciate the information. By the sound of it I think we'll probably give up the benefits of living on post and find something closer to Ft Douglas. I already have a 45 minute to hour commute here in Dallas and I hate it.

Anyone have suggestions for nice/safe areas around Ft Douglas? We would like to rent a house around $1000-1300 a month.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:35 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
I appreciate the information. By the sound of it I think we'll probably give up the benefits of living on post and find something closer to Ft Douglas. I already have a 45 minute to hour commute here in Dallas and I hate it.

Anyone have suggestions for nice/safe areas around Ft Douglas? We would like to rent a house around $1000-1300 a month.
FT Douglas is in one of the nicest parts of Salt Lake right next to the University of Utah and surrounded by Hospitals. I work right next to Ft Douglas. I would look for housing along Foothill Blvd, in Sugarhouse, Millcreek, and East Milcreek areas. I live in East Millcreek and it's like a 15 minute drive all at 35 mph.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Ft Douglas Area

I forgot to mention that we'll need to RENT a house, not buy. I've just lost so much money in the past buying a house because we move so often. I can't find any houses to rent online from the Ft Douglas area; only some in South Jordan, and that also seems too far away.

Although we have no children we do have a small dog, and I've noticed that a lot of rentals don't allow for dogs. Although they're less destructive than kids.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM

25 posts, read 100,945 times
Default Living at HAFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad123 View Post
I'm being relocated to Ft Douglas from TX and was considering housing on Hill AFB. Does anyone know what the commute is like between these 2 locations? Heavy traffic? Also, I could use information on Hill AFB and the surrounding area if anyone has any.
One other consideration no one has mentioned is the commuter train (Front Runner) you can catch it in either Layton or Clearfield, either is about ten minutes from the main gate at Hill, or even closer from the SW gate (housing area) to the Clearfield terminal then from the terminal in Salt Lake you can catch the light rail trolly right to the U of U campus easy walking distance to FT. Douglas. I think the website is uta.com

Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times
This thread is two years old. I think the OP has found a suitable area to live by now.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM

602 posts, read 1,873,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
This thread is two years old. I think the OP has found a suitable area to live by now.
This is true, but it could still be helpful to others without having to create another post

Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
CD is funny that way....you have to wonder though...OH WOW is this poor guy still wondering around out there with no place to live :-).

Its also neat to see how things change. When I posted in 2007 about the horrible drive to SLC...who knew front runner and the Legacy freeway would be in place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: