Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 08:27 AM

668 posts, read 682,234 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me in regards to the teaching situation in the SLC metro area? i.e. payscale, job market, unique state of Utah requirements, class sizes, parents, students, places needing teachers, personal experiences whatever.

I'm a veteran middle school teacher in Texas who is moving to your state this summer with my 16 year old son. Any info you can provide will be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Trebek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me in regards to the teaching situation in the SLC metro area? i.e. payscale, job market, unique state of Utah requirements, class sizes, parents, students, places needing teachers, personal experiences whatever.

I'm a veteran middle school teacher in Texas who is moving to your state this summer with my 16 year old son. Any info you can provide will be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Trebek
You might check thorough some of the other threads; this topic has been discussed several times. I can tell you that the pay scale for teachers in Utah is very low. Utah spends less per capita on education than nearly 95% of the other states, but it’s very high on the list related to SAT scores, high school graduation and college entry rates.

I was an adjunct instructor at several Junior Colleges in California, and I will soon start in the same role at a JC in Utah. I will be paid a third of what I was paid in California; however, I am retired from another profession, so I only teach to keep busy.

Good Luck

Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM

668 posts, read 682,234 times
Yes the average teacher makes $1400 less than in Texas.
From searching the forum, I learned that parental involvement in their children's education is a contributing factor to the high SAT scores.

Teaching in Utah could be a rewarding change!
(now where to locate that basement apartment

Old 07-29-2007, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 46,959 times
any utah teachers

Can you give me a feel for your school system overall? Thinking of moving there to park city i have to elementary age boys?

Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl77 View Post
any utah teachers

Can you give me a feel for your school system overall? Thinking of moving there to park city i have to elementary age boys?
Park City has some great schools. Be warned though the kids can be very clichish. It all comes down to those with money and those without. But the school system has a great program by which the kids get to buy discount ski passes, and one day a week, they get 1/2 day off during the ski season to go sking. It's very diverse, and fun. Lots going on. I loved the free bus system, but down side is it doesn't run every month. Only during summer, and winter months. Great in town trail, sidewalk,biking system. When the inversion layer makes SLC in the winter look like the worst air quality in the nation, it is nice and clear up the mountain. Down side also is the commute to SLC in the winter. It can be extremely hazardous during a storm.

My kids loved the schools. I did have one problem, but I think I fixed it for those who follow. The teachers take the kids outside during recess. They are not given time to use the bathroom before going out, nor are they allowed to go back inside to use said bathrooms during recess. My son one day had to pee rather badly. Being younger he waited until it was almost wet your pants time. The teacher refused to allow him to go back inside. So in his great maturity, he went to the far side of the field, and peed in the weeds. He got in trouble and sent home. I do think what he did was wrong, but at the same time so was the teacher. I fought and he was not expelled for a week. In fact I raised such a stink about the avialbilty of bathrooms during recesses, it was a policy change while I was there that the kids in pairs were allowed to re enter the school and use the bathrooms.

I also hope they fixed the pot holes in the field where they made the middle school children run around doing laps. My daughter broke her ankle in a hidden hole filled with tall grass. that also took a hissy fit in front of the school board to fix. The school board passed it off to the city that it was their responsibilty, and the city said since the school used that field it became their responsiblity to repair and maintain. A group of us mothers got a attorney to draft a letter to both the city and school board. At least I had started the ball rolling on that before I moved to TN.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 46,959 times
Default Thanks

I appreciate the info. We will be going out this winter to sit in some classes etc.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: