Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,797 times

Advertisements

Wife & I are moving to the Vancouver area in the next few months and trying to figure out the best neighborhoods to look in that will meet our needs. We are looking to buy a home (4-5 beds). Children, so school districts are very important. I will need to travel to Seattle 3-4 times / month so being close to 205/5 would be convenient (Fishers Landing/Camas sound great but would add 30min to the commute to Seattle). What are your thoughts on the following neighborhoods:

Ridgefield - Mt Vista
Ridgefield - Battleground
Vancouver - Felida
Vancouver - Salmon Creek
Vancouver - Baberton
Camas, Fishers Landing

Any others I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM

13 posts, read 35,424 times
Hi there,

Ridgefiled and Camas are both some of my favorite places personally. Camas is a bit further out and may be a bit of a drive from the highways-however, nice schools, and nice neighborhoods.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: soliciting removed

Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM

30 posts, read 101,077 times
I vote for Ridgefield too. Cute town with a lot of Newer homes for sale. It's well known for it's wildlife perserve. Very nature orintated.
It is small, so it doesn't have your big grocery stores or modern malls, but it does have a small library, newer post office, a few gift stores, small mom and pop cafes,plenty of little parks and lots of places to walk and enjoy nature.
If you need groceries, you just have to drive 6 min away and your in Woodland, which has a Safeway or 11 miles away and your in Battleground or Salmon Creek. Both areas have Fred Meyers, resturants, fast food, movie theatres ect...

Old 02-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaWa View Post
... the best neighborhoods to look in that will meet our needs. We are looking to buy a home (4-5 beds). Children, so school districts are very important.
Seattle 3-4 times / month so being close to 205/5 would be convenient (Fishers Landing/Camas sound great but would add 30min to the commute to Seattle).

Based on Seattle commute & younger kids (or kids going into Running Start w/in a few yrs) (FREE college instead of HS)

(1) Ridgefield - Mt Vista School might be iffy (VSD)

(2) Vancouver - Salmon Creek School might be iffy (VSD)
(3) Vancouver - Felida School might be iffy (VSD)
(4) Camas, Fishers Landing (probably will add 30 min RT on commute to Seattle (I do it from Washougal a few times / month... 30 minutes is really not too significant in a 6 hr RT, and one wrong move in Seattle traffic can = 30 min) That said... It was easier when I was commuting daily to Bremerton when I lived in Minnehaha area (SR500 & I-5) elder care responsibilities for 15 yrs, some weeks BAD, some weeks good (no trips).

Any others I should consider?
(1b) Hockinson / Brushprairie - GREAT schools (10 minutes off I-5). This Public School is Academically VERY challenging and requires LOTS of homework / parent participation, not right for all students (or parents). GREAT teach / community spirit at Hockinson Schools (and considerable better student behavior / expectation. Apostolic Lutheran and LDS intensive region, but all seem to be pretty well accepted... unless someone is a slacker, then they will be very unhappy)

Probably important to ask WHERE are you coming from, and what recreation / entertainment / extra curricular does your family desire?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 17,399 times
Question, where is your work? Camas has excellent schools. Fishers Landing is nice and not too far away from the 205. Evergreen school district is excellent as well. Stay away from Vancouver school district.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,491 times
Default School Districts

Did you know that the Hockinson School District in the Vancouver are is the only school district in Southwest Washington that passed all of the Washington State testing requirements? It is a small school district with great parental involvement... one primary, one intermediate, one middle school and one high school.

You may like the Camas School District also. moderator cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-04-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: no realty agent soliciting, please ...contact me for details

Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM

17 posts, read 60,329 times
Default check out the schools report cards

this might help a bit

Washington State Report Card

Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,371 times
I definitely don't recommend Battle ground if you want good schools. Their funding is terrible.

Schools in Salmon Creek and Felida are the best IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area