Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,581 times

Advertisements

Hello... I was just curious about the views on homosexuality there in Vancouver.

My girlfriend and I (I'm a female by the way) have been considering moving out to Vancouver... so I was wondering how well (or not so well in some cases) homosexuality is taken there.

We're coming from small town North Dakota... where... well, let's just say, they aren't so accepting over here. :'D

But yes... if anyone knows anything, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,

- Ayry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Why Vancouver and not Portland? Vancouver is definitely a bit more on the conservative side whereas Portland is all out liberal. Though this isn't to say you'll be guaranteed snubbed because of your orientation, but you might not feel as comfortable in Vancouver as you might in Portland.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Why Vancouver and not Portland? Vancouver is definitely a bit more on the conservative side whereas Portland is all out liberal. Though this isn't to say you'll be guaranteed snubbed because of your orientation, but you might not feel as comfortable in Vancouver as you might in Portland.
There are lots of gay and lesbian families in the Vancouver area. It seems very accepted to me, several of my kids' friends have two moms. Yes, you might be even more widely accepted in Portland but if you're looking for a more rural environment or a nice place to raise children, this side of the river will be perfectly fine.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
There are lots of gay and lesbian families in the Vancouver area. It seems very accepted to me, several of my kids' friends have two moms. Yes, you might be even more widely accepted in Portland but if you're looking for a more rural environment or a nice place to raise children, this side of the river will be perfectly fine.
I actually knew of one family that ended up packing and hauling over to PDX because their kids were being harassed by their peers and the VSD couldn't care less and basically tried to make it seem like they were the ones with the problem, that they were the ones that were crazy. They work on this side of the river, so the fact that they were willing to pay more for housing, and the income tax speaks to how bad their experience was in Vancouver. They're much happier now over there. Others have spoken of being judged by people in Vancouver where there is a higher number of church going populace.

My GLBT peers who are single, w/o children end up spending majority of their time over in Portland anyways.

And yes, there's been some that do just fine-- but the one thing about them, they're natives. Its really up to the OP to visit the area and see if it vibes with her.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I actually knew of one family that ended up packing and hauling over to PDX because their kids were being harassed by their peers and the VSD couldn't care less and basically tried to make it seem like they were the ones with the problem, that they were the ones that were crazy. They work on this side of the river, so the fact that they were willing to pay more for housing, and the income tax speaks to how bad their experience was in Vancouver. They're much happier now over there. Others have spoken of being judged by people in Vancouver where there is a higher number of church going populace.

My GLBT peers who are single, w/o children end up spending majority of their time over in Portland anyways.

And yes, there's been some that do just fine-- but the one thing about them, they're natives. Its really up to the OP to visit the area and see if it vibes with her.
It probably comes down to what school, what neighborhood etc. I know several GBLT families in the Camas area (all are transplants) but that could be very different than some areas in Vancouver. And yes, I would agree that anyone single should probably live on the other side of the river, gay or not.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
And yes, I would agree that anyone single should probably live on the other side of the river, gay or not.
So you are saying that Vancouver is unwelcoming to singles? That such a strange thing to say.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So you are saying that Vancouver is unwelcoming to singles? That such a strange thing to say.
No... Vancouver's more of a family oriented town, its suburbia and doesn't have much in the way of city offerings. Most young/single adults are going to be spending a lot of time over in Portland anyways.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,424 times
Quote:
No... Vancouver's more of a family oriented town, its suburbia and doesn't have much in the way of city offerings. Most young/single adults are going to be spending a lot of time over in Portland anyways.
When I lived in Vancouver this was the case. I slept in Vancouver, rolled out of bed and rolled into Portland until it was time to roll back into bed again. And I wasn't even single--just not a family. It is, for all intents and purposes, a suburb.

That said, I had a "I Do Support Marriage Equality" bumper sticker on my car and my roommate and a neighbor down the street had HRC stickers on their cars as well as a sticker saying "Hate Is Not a Family Value." We lived in East Vancouver in the Cascade Park area, for reference.

The downtown area is going to be more liberal and walkable and Portland-y than the rest of Vancouver. The city elects political candidates with a (D) next to their name on a regular basis. It is a bastion of blue in the SW Washington sea of red. The state legislative districts just outside the city limits are all (R). It is generally speaking, like in most places, an urban/rural divide between liberal and conservative.

But unless you're going to be working in Vancouver, why live there? Portland is more interesting and more fun and has more things to do and see and enjoy on a daily basis. If I had a family I would definitely consider moving back to Vancouver. However, the draw of Portland or even Beaverton is, to me, stronger.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do you disagree? I've never met anyone who thinks Vancouver's hot for singles

Not unfriendly, just boring. If you want to live in a family neighborhood it's a great quality of life. If you're looking for a great singles scene...Portland.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM

89 posts, read 237,362 times
Aunte Ayry,

I can only guess at what you may encounter in your North Dakota town.

I think you and your gal-pal will feel free, without the bombastic encumbrances, taxes, and intrusions Portland may provide. Either side of the mighty Columbia you have community of like minded, decent folks you can opt to meet.

I'm severely prejudice in favor of mighty, Mighty, MIGHTY Washington state (over Oregon). (Western Washington State, of course. Avoid Eastern Washington; specifically Spokane.

If you and your gal-pal work in Portland, well, you may consider residing in Portland. The I-5 lift bridge commute can be a bother if you folks are nine to fivers (more like seven to fiver in our heady age). Unless you can motor on over the I-205 bridge if your employment is on the Portland East side.

Hope that helps.

Buttermilk "Vancouver" MacDuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area