Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM

40 posts, read 134,879 times

Advertisements

@silibran: Thanks for those tips! We plan on driving along the Columbia Gorge. Next time when I'm in the area (I've only been to Portland once) I need to check out Powell's!

I could handle the sound of a plane if it was once or twice a day, but this is our usual schedule by NAS Oceana/Virginia Beach in recent years:

8am-8:30am... rumbling... entire condo is shaking, sounds like a plane is just sitting on a runway making noise... every minute to 2-3 minutes this goes on. You don't even need an alarm clock anymore!

Afternoons... flyovers either screeching or rumbling... off and on... sometimes minutes of each other, plus 2 or 3 jets are flying together, so when you think the noise is over with another one comes over head (summer is worst season for this so far).

Then in the evenings and even midnight or 1am you might get a loud jet going over... some days no noise at all, but most days there is something... can't really even enjoy doing outside activities anymore in most of the city since 2010 (and even the tourist oceanfront gets noisy, which really sucks)! I got really bummed out when we had a friend visit from out of town in springtime 2010 and we were out riding bikes around the neighborhood. I had never seen a Navy jet fly that low over our area (and incidentally I now worry about crashes since that one last spring), so even plugging your ears was impossible to drown the noise out. Our friend's ears rang for days. I still wonder to this day if I have slight hearing damage, no kidding! Rain or shine, they are out there (they know right when I'm outside, seriously! Or, I can be inside all day and the moment I got out... NOISE!)...

That's okay if Vancouver isn't that exciting or that remarkable architecturally... Virginia Beach isn't either (although it is a much newer city). ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Taiwanhellokitty As others have posted, it must depend on what part of Vancouver you live in whether the airplane noise will be bad. When you talk to a realtor about buying you need to make your desire known, I think.

The Gorge is always beautiful, even on cloudy and overcast days. We have driven it many times for over a decade and we always remark on its beauty. Every time we drive it looks different.

You might enjoy walking around Hood River. There are places to have a lunch. I believe we have eaten at the old hotel there a couple of times.

There is a Pendleton Outlet in Washougal, WA which is a short drive from Van. I haven't ever visited, so I can't tell you anything about it.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
@silibran: Thanks for those tips! We plan on driving along the Columbia Gorge. Next time when I'm in the area (I've only been to Portland once) I need to check out Powell's!
I've only been there once and found it to be overwhelming with the selection of books. I'm guessing if you go there regularly and become familiar with the sections, it won't be as daunting. Oh, I did eventually find the section I wanted.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
...So, what can I expect from end of April-beginning of May weather?
...Thank you!
If you come in Late April early May, you have about a 20% chance of a really nice warm spell (60+...) Occasional clear days, probable drizzle or rain. DON't Miss this

Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

also visit here during the week and at correct time for a factory tour.
Pendleton Woolen Mills: Washougal Mill
Public tours for individuals and small groups (under 10 persons) are held Monday through Friday, at 9 am, 10, am 11am, and 1:30 pm. I go to Portland on Weds for LOTS of free stuff including Farmers Market in Park Blocks, and I use the library of Art Museum to enjoy afternoon AC in hot summer. Powell books is a good 'night' / rainy day venue, Happy Hr at nearby Jakes is GREAT, as are the free concerts on First Thursday evenings at Moe's Piano (1 blk NW of Powell's), REI has a nice store nearby for your Co-op Shopping Pleasure..

Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM

40 posts, read 134,879 times
Thanks, for those tips! ;-) I will definitely be prepared with all the advice!

Happily adding to my list of "things to see and do!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area