Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM

68 posts, read 130,209 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Vancouver this summer. I will be working at WSU-V. We would like to be close to Portland. We have three boys. My oldest will be going into 11th grade and is planning to do Running Start. My youngest will be going into 7th grade and we plan to homeschool him. My middle boy will be entering 9th grade and wants to do public school. I am just not sure which school to choose. He would have been very happy at the science, math, and technology magnet school, but we missed the application deadline. We are looking at Mountain View. He is gay and would like to attend a school that has a Gay Straight Alliance. He is very into computers and would like to get into programming and/or game design as a career. I see that Mountain View has computer programming and JAVA classes, even AP ones. This is intriguing to us.

I have been searching and searching through this forum and I see a lot of push for Camas and away from Evergreen school district. But no one says why. What is it about Camas that makes it a good school district? The test scores are pretty similar to Mountain View. Why do you consider Evergreen/Mountain View a bad district/school? He is planning to do Running Start in two years (which may make the programming classes moot, unless he is able to take them in 9th or 10th grade), but I want him to have a good education until then! Also, how is Clark College? Good teaching? Welcoming environment for Running Start students? And what type of homeschooling community is there in Vancouver?

In answer to the question-why not move to Camas. This may sound silly, but I know our limits. It looks like Portland is 15-30 minutes from Fishers Landing and 30-45 from Camas. We would like to spend a lot of time in Portland, and I know the further distance (even though it is not that much further) will dissuade us from traveling over there as often as we like.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
When it comes to Vancouver, there's two school districts within it: Vancouver SD and Evergreen SD. No question that if those were your only choices that you should go for Evergreen SD as it is better (even if it is only a few points). However between Evergreen SD and Camas SD? No, Camas SD performs exceptionally well on the state tests that it is in fact within the top 20 SD of the state.

I am not sure what sources you're looking that indicates that the test scores between ESD and CSD are similar, but the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction doesn't show that similarity at all. You can check at this link: Washington State Report Card Of course, it does depend on which HS we're talking about. Camas has 2 High Schools; Camas HS is the better HS whereas the Hayes.... not as good, but it is actually comparable to Mountain View in terms of the scores.

My husband and his brother graduated from MVHS... Both have very positive experiences there. My husband's little sister attended for almost 3 years-- not as positive as her brothers, unfortunately. My husband's brother now has kids approaching the HS age. The last time I spoke to him, he indicated that if he decides on his boys going to a public HS, that they would be going to Union HS, not MVHS. As far as he determined, MVHS today isn't as good as it was before and that seem to be the general perception among the people I know there. My husband also briefly attended Clark College and doesn't have any complaints; a lot of his friends did Running Start and enjoyed their experiences there. Lots of Running Start students.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 03-20-2013 at 01:33 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Camas can be 5 minutes from Fishers Landing, or 25 minutes (If you live in NE corner of Camas District).
NW Camas is ~ 20 min to WSU and 30 min to DT Portland. (Remember that DT Portland can be a QUICK drive (depending on traffic) or a VERY SLOW and crime ridden MAX trip down the surface streets of North Interstate Ave (45 minute). Thus MANY of us in WA are fighting an I-5 Crossing of MAX to Clark College. I-205 was built with MAX in mind + carries more traffic, is closer and FASTER rte to Downtown Portland, for most of SWWA residents, AND... If WA is SMART and does NOT put Max on surface streets, it would be faster (much safer) to go 205 route even from DT Vancouver.)

If I were working at WSU-V, I would live in Salmon Creek and use Skyview HS, it has a technical program for VSD and is pretty good for a public school.

There are several Home School groups in the region. I would start with Clark County Home Educators

Or... you can look to Hockinson / Brush Prairie area and use CAM or Hockinson HS for youngest (further to Clark, but closer to Clark 'east campus'. (depends on classes)

Your youngest can always take Clark classes pre Running Start, you just have to pay the fees (not much, considering the increased value / credits)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the input! Inkpoe, you are right. I was using that site, but I was looking at the wrong schools. Sorry, I am feeling overwhelmed. We are coming from Pullman, we have one high school! No decision making required. I am looking at so many facts and figures that my head is spinning and I am not keeping the numbers straight.

I was just poking around Camas and I am not finding any rentals in our price range (few rentals at all, actually). Is there any overlap with the Vancouver and Camas High School?

My big concern about Skyview is that it may be too conservative for him. Also, again, there doesn't seem to be many rentals over there.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Craigslist and Home | Camas-Washougal Post-Record should have rentals. There should be some variety within the Camas district. Pretty tough to get a boundary exception into Camas HS. (unless you have been there and moved... yet another option).

Camas is far more conservative than Skyview. LOTS of rentals there, hundreds, blocks and blocks of them!!!

Coming from Pullman, you might not be impressed. IIRC, Pullman has (had) pretty high marks for school. I think it was among the top schools (behind Island district) when I was considering moving to a place in WA with good schools.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,747 times
I have been looking for rentals in Camas too and have had some luck with Zillow.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM

and hotpads.com

Camas, WA 98607 Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent - HotPads

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM

Yes, Pullman has very good schools. So many university professors are parents, and I think there is an expectation of high standards. They are also phenomenal at dealing with bullying and social issues.

Thanks for the links! I didn't know Zillow has rentals, and I have never seen hotpads before. I like the fact that hotpads lists the schools on each listing.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM

At this point we are planning to look in Fisher's Landing and enrolling him at Mountain View with the knowledge that if it is horrible, we will pull him out and homeschool him. We will also supplement math and science.

Now, about Running Start. It is through Clark College, not WSU-V, but are students able to take classes at WSU-V?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiv8ed View Post
At this point we are planning to look in Fisher's Landing and enrolling him at Mountain View with the knowledge that if it is horrible, we will pull him out and homeschool him. We will also supplement math and science.

Now, about Running Start. It is through Clark College, not WSU-V, but are students able to take classes at WSU-V?
I don't think his experience will be horrible.

As for Running Start, it says on its main page that students are allowed to attend Washington State University for RS. You can also look through here which will direct you to the information you need (I think its like the 8th question down): Co-Admission Frequently Asked Questions | Admissions | WSU Vancouver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area