Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to the area in or around Portland, Oregon with my immediate family and wanted to have other peoples’ perspectives for our specific situations and lifestyles regarding the move.

We are progressive, mostly egalitarian, open-minded, moderately sociable, atheistic or only mildly religious/spiritual, focused on education, enjoy intellectual discussion, have or are moving toward healthy, active lifestyles and are not into beer.

We are a family of three: I am an early twenties exercise and health enthusiast, my middle aged parent is looking to move, date again, live healthier and live near a beach, and my sibling will be finishing up high school after we move and plans on going to college afterwards, though not necessarily in the Portland area.

We will be living on a budget and will probably live in an apartment. On top of a lower cost of living, by living and working in Vancouver but shopping in the Portland area, we realize we could avoid both income and sales taxes. However, job opportunities seem to be rough or competitive in both areas, with Portland appearing to have more work than Vancouver.

As far as work goes, I have an A.S. degree and although I have a background and experience in computers/IT, my passion is for health, exercise and nutrition. My parent has a B.A. degree and a background in the insurance and mortgage industries.

First and foremost, I am a triathlete and will be training for Ironman distance triathlons. I exercise most days a week, preferably outside. The clouds, rain and cool temperatures won’t bother me and I can train indoors in the winter. I’d enjoy local running, cycling, and/or triathlon groups or clubs. As a family, we would like an area with access to good gyms, especially ones with 50-meter pools.

We have strong interests in road and trail running; road, trail and mountain biking; white water rafting, outdoor mountain climbing, skiing/snowboarding, trail/off-road ultra-marathons (hyphenated?), water sports, long distance road bike events, swimming at the beach during good weather and trying new things in general.

We have some interest in paragliding/hang gliding, indoor rock climbing, surfing, long distance swimming events, tennis, racquetball, bowling, soccer, football, volleyball, hiking, open water swimming and CrossFit.

We follow the paleo diet: robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet. We cook most of our meals at home, but having food carts or restaurants that are gluten-free/paleo/food-allergy friendly would be a huge plus. We also love Farmers Markets and need access to stores with paleo friendly baking supplies.

Although our lives are not focused on discussing politics or being very politically active, we have between a liberal and libertarian mindset. We are interested in living in an area with low crime rates and an uncorrupt, effective law enforcement department that does not abuse citizens. Cycling/triathlon are relatively expensive sports, so I don’t want to have to worry about theft or burglary.

Also, one of us wants to know how would it be to ride a moped/scooter as ones primary source of transportation in either city and how does the daily rain effect people using hair products, with curled/curly hair, and the like?

According to: money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living, our cost of living will be 25% higher in Portland, so is it feasible to expect that we would be offered 25% higher wages/salaries to compensate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Honestly you sound more suited to Portland but I would try to get a job before you come. A lot of people want to live here and joblessness is still a major issue.

Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I think you would do OK in either place, although honestly, Van is more conservative. It is more expensive to live in Portland. But you can work in Portland, and commute home to Van. Plenty of people do it. Traffic here is awful, but you can do it.

In Van you are about 2 hours from the Coast, and in Portland you are about 1 1/2 hours from the Coast. Rough numbers.

Vancouver is much smaller than Portland. So, of course there are fewer jobs here.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroMain View Post
I am looking at moving to the area in or around Portland, Oregon with my immediate family and wanted to have other peoples’ perspectives for our specific situations and lifestyles regarding the move.

We are progressive, mostly egalitarian, open-minded, moderately sociable, atheistic or only mildly religious/spiritual, focused on education, enjoy intellectual discussion, have or are moving toward healthy, active lifestyles and are not into beer.

... According to: money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living, our cost of living will be 25% higher in Portland, so is it feasible to expect that we would be offered 25% higher wages/salaries to compensate?
You are definately Portland material, (except for the No Beer and open-minded part) but.... NO you will not get more money by working in Portland (unless working a highly skilled union job for Boeing or similar)

Portland is well known for below par on wages and job opportunities.. This happens in anyplace that is considered 'desireable' to live. (same way in Ft Collins, CO... Many are under-employed, and MOST are underpaid), Students stay after they complete school, Tens of Thousands have stayed after being laid off from GREAT paying tech and heavy industry and logging / wood products jobs. Also in Portland, the GOTH's flock in like it is Halloween daily.

Education is VERY subjective (and fickle) in Oregon.
They like to promote it and there are LOTS of higher ed schools, but as a state... they do not fund public schools, or consider them of value to their society / economy. I know several teachers who have left Oregon schools. And oodles who would LIKE to leave OR schools. When helping a skilled job interview team in OR, the manager said "gads! it would really be nice if I could hire someone who could read a tape measure." (He spends THOUSANDS a day on SCRAP... measure twice and still cut it too short. )

YMMV, but I wouldn't even think of coming without assured employment, especially in generic field of IT or Insurance. / business.

Advice?? Get a job at a college! More time off to do your hobbies and a workgroup who is very much into that.
(More time off)

Scooters and weather... SURE lots do it in Portland, few in Vancouver and VERY few back and forth (PNW is not kind to SLOW cyclists on wet freeways with lots of road spray). Folks here DO NOT see bikes and bright colors, they just aren't used to it like in Boulder, CO or such, where you can ride nearly EVERY day. I rode everyday but 3 my last yr in Colorado. It was heavenly and they have WIDE shoulders (for snow). In PNW, I have rode to work 3 days in 30+ yrs... so sad, so Dangerous. So WET. I have lost 3 friends on bikes this last 2 yrs. STAY well insured!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
It might boil down to what you can afford, or which city you simply like the best. So I recommend a visit before making the move.

It is hard to find work, except in specialized fields, before moving, so if you are set on moving here, I'd advise having at least 6 months of expenses saved. More is better. People complain regularly here that rents are high in Van. I have no idea about rents in Portland, or even if you can find a rental without a job in hand. You will have to do due diligence on that.

Also, for moving advice and experiences, you can visit the General Moving Issues board on this forum. There are always conversations going on about moving issues there, from people just beginning to think about moving. to people ready to hop in their vehicles and commence.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 PM

239 posts, read 413,880 times
People here are gorgeous. Very good looking folks.

Nice area; people are super nice.

Just talking, people are welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area