Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:09 PM

231 posts, read 850,312 times

Advertisements

May be moving to Portland area for a job transfer... ( I know Vancouver is on the Washington side)

Picking Vancouver side for the income tax break.... And proximity to the airport for work travel.

Just starting my research... Any good or bad that immediately comes to mind?

My home budget will be between $450-$600k depending on what is available and how much my wife likes the houses...

Background.:

Upper 30's
Two daughters ages 6 and 1
Primary concerns are schools, safe neighborhoods
Commute isn't an issue, and my wife stays at home.

I know it rains a lot, but how much is a lot... Just gray winters or is it constantly drizzly?

We are a traditionally suburban family, not so interested in downtown areas...we like larger green lawns and newer homes if possible. Quiet neighborhoods where the neighbors take care of their houses for the most part.. Basically if I could afford a golf course neighborhood I would do it.

I know there are many different criteria and viewpoints, but hoping to get a general idea of where to start my search....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,636,055 times
Where is your job located? I know you say commute isn't an issue....but....and is the employer in Oregon or WA? If it's an Oregon employer you'll pay the taxes anyway.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 AM

I travel for work, employer is located in neither state... I would be paying taxes for the state I live in (Washington in this case)

Thanks

Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 AM

318 posts, read 629,728 times
I'm sure others will point this out: there is no income tax break if you live in Washington and work in Oregon. It wasn't clear from your post, but if you work in Oregon, you will have to pay Oregon state income tax even if you live in Vancouver.
That said, Vancouver is a very nice suburban setting with pretty good access to Portland. The rain really isn't all that bad, although winters can be a little gray. Summers are very nice. There are nice areas north of Vancouver city limits, as well as east parts of Vancouver over to Camas.
Schools are good. The restaurant scene is mediocre, but Portland is close and has great restaurants, as well as all the amenities of a big city. Health care is also good. The ocean is 90 minutes away, the Cascade Mountains two hours the other direction.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,003 times
Moderator cut: threads merged As old notes, if the employer is in OR you'll pay income tax regardless of where you live.

Otherwise I like most of Vancouver. Like Portland there are only a few 'bad' neighborhoods, and really nowhere you'd live in constant fear for your life. Property crime/car break-ins are most common. Commuting to downtown Portland from Vancouver isn't something I'd want to do, but the commute to the airport isn't too bad. Though as there are only 2 bridges, there's always the risk that something could change and make it bad.

Vancouver has some good schools, and a few less good. With your price range, you should look at Camas. Lots around the metro tend to be smallish, even on the WA side.

It's gray and drizzles quite a bit through the winter, but if you dress for it it's pretty easy to be outside pretty much all winter round. So it doesn't bother me much.

Last edited by Count David; 08-04-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks,

From doing some poking around the internet, it seems for the most part schools are good overall... And the area seems fairly safe no matter where we chose.... Does that seem fairly accurate?

My job is unique in that I can claim the tax benefits based on my home location... My job is located in neither Oregon or Washington. But since i would be residing in Washington, I can claim that.

So eastern and northern vancouver suburbs would be considered more desirable? Just trying to figure out where to start my research.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,406 times
Camas and Hockinson have the best schools in the area, depending on whether you want a small town feel (Camas) or more of a rural feel (Hockinson). Camas schools are larger and have more facilities, Hockinson schools are smaller but very academic, sports are better in Camas. The Felida area north of Vancouver also has decent schools. Your price range is pretty typical for both Camas and Hockinson. Both are safe and nice areas.

Yep, it rains a lot, both gray and drizzly. You'll either not mind it (after all it isn't that cold) or you'll hate it

We are also in our upper 30s with slightly older kids and we live in Camas and love it here. We have lived all over the US and hope to stay here forever. There are lots of Camas, Vancouver school threads, a search should yield quite a bit of more info for you.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,003 times
I'd suggested Camas in the Portland thread, so I'll stick to that here. Vancouver itself has some pretty good schools if you choose your district carefully, but Camas is the safer bet, and on your budget you can probably make that work.

There are lots of sports leagues in Vancouver - i'm not sure if there are issues getting in to them living in Camas.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:48 PM

148 posts, read 178,676 times
I would stay as close to I-205 as you can, I commute to SE area of Portland everyday and it never takes more than 40 minutes.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:34 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,521 times
I you want a manufactured, outdated, home on a few acres for 250k, then anywhere in western wa or western or are suitable places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area