Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
My family and I love food. We aren't rich , so being a foodie occurs when we are able. But if you want truly high end food, it gets annoying that most times you have to go to Portland. Vancouver seems to have a hard time with keeping high end restaurants.

I've fallen in love with a few high end restaurants that popped up in Vancouver, to only have them shut down not long after opening, due to lack of business. This town isn't really a foodie town. It's a mom/dad/family town. We often look for good deals, and good prices, but most people don't want to believe that you'll pay more for better food. So Sushi Hana down the street serving 1.50 per plate cheap god awful (but i still love going there for cheap sushi so dont get the wrong impression) sushi, does gangbuster business, but my favorite sushi place that had a chef trained from japan that served top shelf sushi on par w/ the best restaurants I've eaten at, goes out of business.

There is a higher end hawaiian bbq place in town, and there are about 10 lower end cheaper places. The quality of the higher end one is above and beyond, but if you go to their yelp site, a lot of the complaints is how expensive they are.
Oh I agree. But there are a few good restaurants. I does depend on what you like. I'd like the name of the high end Hawaiian bbq place though. Others will chime in with there faves in this town, I am sure.

The "best" restaurant here is supposed to be Roots, down on 192 Ave. I've been there twice. Don't go there when you are on a diet! The food is good. Expensive. Good service. Menu very nice. Pricey. And in an odd location for such a nice restaurant.

When we want seafood we go to McGrath's, even though I've had some bad experiences there. Lately they've come through. I believe though that they cook their seafood too long. Good service. Realistic pricing (not cheap). The old folks like it. They need to dust. I dislike their lunch menu. But for dinner, you can get fresh seafood in a variety of ways.

Pizza is a wash. If we get pizza now, we get one at Papa Murphy's. I disike the old fashioned, heavy tomato sauced greasy pies that seem popular here.

Rose's on 192 Ave, has good deli type sandwiches. But I've had really nice salads there. The sandwiches are too rich for me. Service is OK.

I am not happy with the Chinese or Thai food I get here. I wouldn't mind knowing of a good Thai place where the food isn't so sickeningly sweet. And I haven't found good bbq here, but then, unless you are in the South good bbq is hard to find anywhere.

We also like Beaches a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I think Mt. Hood looks so mysterious wrapped in all that mist and fog.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Buy your raingear once your are in rain country! (better selection / warranty / service / more appropriate gear available) (also buy tax free in Oregon)

Consider Helley Hansen rain gear (can be spendy to buy for entire family) I saved for 10 yrs to buy, to only coat stolen 2 weeks later. (It was a couple hundred bucks... I still wear my 'Frostline-Kit' clothes I made in Jr High (1970)
https://www.facebook.com/HellyHansenCentralia

There is a Columbia Outlet in Beaverton, OR (30 min SW). Local companies have 50% off coupons (family 'Buy Oregon' plan.) I got some from Leatherman, but they are out of date (issued every 3 months).

Once you arrive...don't miss this local show (free)
Ceramic Showcase
Head over here the weekend before Mother's Day. (after 6 and Weds is free)
Find A Park | The City of Portland, Oregon

Of course, Powell's Books is a good place to curl up to a good book, as well as get a card from Multnomah Library System (available to WA border residents). Also can utilize the libraries of local colleges (Private and public)

Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think Mt. Hood looks so mysterious wrapped in all that mist and fog.
Mt Hood was really pretty last night as I flew in from TX (moonlit)

This AM the gorge was SO NICE (above the clouds) that I hated to have to run to town (fog / clouds).

Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 54,280 times
I was thinking we would check out gear in Oregon as well. We have several pieces of good rain gear but one never knows what you might find.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 15,740 times
My top issue is those pesky boxelder bugs.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisleeP View Post
So, I went to the Columbia outlet near us and got waterproof jackets for all 4 of us. But they aren't very warm. I got all kinds of information overload between the water-proof and the water-resistant and the omni-heat reflecting (back at you) and on and on. Thinking that maybe we wait until we get up there next month and buy from someone who knows the ins and outs of what we'll really need.

Any suggestions on Water-proof vs. Water-resistant? And does it need to be warm too or is it better to have layers, like a fleece under the water shedding jacket? I know the kids go outside for recess rain or shine so I want them to be dressed appropriately. TIA
Something else I thought of as I was jogging through the mud this morning at Lacamas Lake. Rain boots are a staple here for kids. They bring them to school for recess a lot of the year, my son's teacher actually requires them to be left at school.

You may have thought of that already but I remember having to run out and get some when we first moved here.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 22,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Something else I thought of as I was jogging through the mud this morning at Lacamas Lake. Rain boots are a staple here for kids. They bring them to school for recess a lot of the year, my son's teacher actually requires them to be left at school.

You may have thought of that already but I remember having to run out and get some when we first moved here.
I actually was thinking about that and wondering how that works. I think the selection will be 100x better up there so I'll wait to get them but put them on the "buy immediately " list.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisleeP View Post
I actually was thinking about that and wondering how that works. I think the selection will be 100x better up there so I'll wait to get them but put them on the "buy immediately " list.

Thanks!
best to wait till here. (kid shoe sizes may change during the trip!)

These are a great Garage Sale item (buy them by the box!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area