Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM

379 posts, read 341,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
With respect to posters who have offered advice on vehicle license fees, you'd be better off just calling a state DOL office and ask them for the correct information.
Yep, thanks- I'm guessing this is the type of thing where the $529 fine would only be enforced if you got pulled over for something else. If I just go in on my own I don't think I'll get hit with it. If so, I will just sell the car as it is barely worth $529 and I can get by without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,956,373 times
So what happens if you own a vacation home in WA and keep a car with California plates there?

The reason I ask is I have a coworker that plans to retire to WA in 2 years and bought a place near Port Orchard and keeps an old pickup truck with CA plates there. He tries to come up for a week every other month and uses the truck for hauling materials while fixing up the place.

I guess since he is not a resident he is OK and both he and his wife have California Driver Licenses...

Old 10-31-2015, 05:59 AM

318 posts, read 632,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
So what happens if you own a vacation home in WA and keep a car with California plates there?

The reason I ask is I have a coworker that plans to retire to WA in 2 years and bought a place near Port Orchard and keeps an old pickup truck with CA plates there. He tries to come up for a week every other month and uses the truck for hauling materials while fixing up the place.

I guess since he is not a resident he is OK and both he and his wife have California Driver Licenses...
Your cars are registered in your state of permanent residence. Your co-worker is fine.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:11 AM

Thank you for the reply... it makes sense.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,913 posts, read 58,661,794 times
Quote:
Your cars are registered in your state of permanent residence. Your co-worker is fine.
one of MANY possibilities...

Insurance and most states prefer to have vehicle registered and insured in IT"S DOMICILE (where it is garaged and spend most of it's time) (I.e. your second / third / fourth...home)

I do both (some of my cars live elsewhere and are registered in WA, some in other states (where they are garaged)+ some of my cars live at 'boarding school'. WA is nice place to register for collector plates, ($47 once per lifetime).

Some states are pretty picky that if your vehicle does not return to its 'registered home' every yr, they will impound and inspect to meet the state requirements.

For WA residents... do remember that the WSP is offering your neighbor's a bounty to squeal on your OOS registered vehicle. The WSP photos OOS license plates on commute and runs the numbers to see if registered owner has utility service in WA state. If you do... they will come looking for YOU!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:24 AM

Most of my vehicles are collector cars and it got to wondering because the person I know just keeps his California car year round at his place near Shelton...

Uses airport shuttle and then drives his car when he is there... strictly a vacation spot presently...

Another person I know had a place at Summit Lake and lived in Oregon... he has been pulled over several times to check his registration and driver's license.

In California you would be hard pressed not to pay at least $100 per year in my county for anything that runs... my 1985 Chevrolet Van is still $180 per year plus smog every other year.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 AM

[quote=For WA residents... do remember that the WSP is offering your neighbor's a bounty to squeal on your OOS registered vehicle. The WSP photos OOS license plates on commute and runs the numbers to see if registered owner has utility service in WA state. If you do... they will come looking for YOU![/QUOTE]

I've seen this comment before here re the WSP offering a bounty for ratting out owners of out-of-state vehicles. Please provide your source for that, because I can't find any reference indicating that is true. I've called the WSP and they deny they offer a bounty.
You can report OOS vehicles to the state revenue department, but there is no 'bounty' involved.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,913 posts, read 58,661,794 times
Quote:
I've seen this comment before here re the WSP offering a bounty for ratting out owners of out-of-state vehicles. Please provide your source for that, because I can't find any reference indicating that is true. I've called the WSP and they deny they offer a bounty.
You can report OOS vehicles to the state revenue department, but there is no 'bounty' involved.
This was a program they previously offered (in 1980's). Technology was not as ez for them at that point, (take a pic of plate, and compare utility service to ownership) they ran some campaigns and promotions. A few yrs ago they had interns doing the search. I expect it is now automated. (As is the county Image search / OCR of aerial photos to determine code violations).

You are safe if you follow the law (or use camo netting)

Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This was a program they previously offered (in 1980's). Technology was not as ez for them at that point, (take a pic of plate, and compare utility service to ownership) they ran some campaigns and promotions. A few yrs ago they had interns doing the search. I expect it is now automated. (As is the county Image search / OCR of aerial photos to determine code violations).

You are safe if you follow the law (or use camo netting)
So there is no WSP bounty?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM

379 posts, read 341,662 times
Quote:
So there is no WSP bounty?
If there is one, someone could make a fortune in my complex- half the neighbors have had out of state plates for ages (private gated parking).

I will try to register in WA this week. My car is worth $0 so if they try to assess the fine I will leave and sell the car. First step is to get a driver's license in WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area