Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving to Vancouver,WA from Atlanta,GA. I found the area to be beautiful and the people i met were very nice.
I am an asian-indian by origin and would prefer to have some diversity where i live. I am looking at Camas area for housing and schooling. I have heard the schools there are some of the best in WA. I have a 2 yr old daughter and would like her to interact with people from all races (in/out of school) as she grows up.

My question: hows the diversity in Vancouver in general, specially in the Camas area. Is there an asian-indian community in Vancouver area? Hows the diversity in Camas area schools?

I do know hillsboro and beaverton areas in OR have a sizable indian community, however that would be a 30-40 min drive.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:46 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Vancouver is not very diverse. 2010 census shows 80.9% White, 2.9% African American, 1.0% Native American, 5.0% Asian, 1.0% Pacific Islander, 4.3% from other races, and 4.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.4% of the population.

Camas less so... 87.4% White, 1.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 6.0% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 1.2% from other races, and 3.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
The Niche school ratings have demographic information that is more precise for school age kids. Camas would be the least diverse. Scroll down to see the demographics of the Camas schools:

https://k12.niche.com/camas-high-school-camas-wa/

The East Vancouver area is served by the Evergreen School District. It is less white and more Hispanic but the other ethnic breakdowns are more or less the same as Camas:

https://k12.niche.com/d/evergreen-sc...rict-clark-wa/

Finally the West Vancouver area is covered by the Vancouver School District. It is more Hispanic and less Asian than the other two

https://k12.niche.com/d/evergreen-sc...rict-clark-wa/

You can use Niche to explore the ethnic breakdown of any school in the region or Nation if you want.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 11,294 times
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Texasdriver, i looked at the links you provided. I can see a grade given to each school for diversity (A,B+ etc) but i do not see an ethnic breakdown. Are you able to see the ethnic breakdown of the pupils in the schools?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
The PNW may very well be the whitest area of the USA. But don't worry, they are also the most politically correct so even if they are racist towards you, they won't say anything to your face.

The schools are good, Vancouver/Camas is mostly a republican/conservative area. But no one really talks politics or religion. Camas can have a rotting garbage smell to it from the paper plant once in awhile.

It has a lot to offer. Diversity is not on that list.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coMOguy View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Texasdriver, i looked at the links you provided. I can see a grade given to each school for diversity (A,B+ etc) but i do not see an ethnic breakdown. Are you able to see the ethnic breakdown of the pupils in the schools?
Yes...you have to keep scrolling down the page to get to the section on demographics. They have data number of students on free and reduced lunches (which is a proxy for the level of poverty or poor students) and then they have the ethnic break down of the school which should be pretty accurate because it is from school registration data

Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Barring the stats,,, I work with and have many Asian/ Indian friends who move to Camas precisely to be with many others in thier culture group. It has been a very good fit for them. (High Tech, and High Expectations of community and schools.). I have asked specifically about culture bias / community acceptance, and they are quite happy in Camas.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 14,626 times
I moved from Hillsboro to camas. There r decent number of Indians here n growing. Last yr Indians celebrated Diwali party around 400-500 ppl attended. Camas has best schools in term of academic circulum than Vancouver's.I have a daughter who just turned 4 and we moved recently and already found Indians In the camas /fisher landing of Vancouver. Stay in the border of fisher landing To camas prune hill u wil b fine. The diversity is increasing so I wouldnt rely on those stats. U'll b suprised to see there are Indians around if it helps there is southwest Washington Indians group on social media.
Happy in camas ppl are friendly.

Last edited by lalip; 03-30-2016 at 11:02 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
This is one of the least diverse areas in the country.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This is one of the least diverse areas in the country.
do you get around the USA much?

West coast does not have large number of blacks, but does have broad distribution of Asian, middlle east, euros, and quite a few from SAmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area